What Pickup does Gilmore use on the Tune High Hopes?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

George Piburn

What Pickup does Gilmore use on the Tune High Hopes?

Post by George Piburn »

I have a client wanting to play the Gilmore High Hopes type sound on a 6 string.

Any help on what type of Pickup to provide would be greatly appreciated.

The Instrument will be a 23" scale Left Hand Play, that I Hope folks will want to have me post photos of the Build.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

On his 2006 tour he played a Gibson EH series lap steel on that song. There's no way of knowing if the pickup had been rewound or was even the original pickup. I would say a single coil pickup with few windings would be the ticket.

George Piburn

Thanks For your quick Response

Post by George Piburn »

Thank you Doug for your quick response, The Gibson seems single coils for sure , and I took your lead and view some more youtube's, That Red Steel looks to be Equipped with a P90.

I looks like he is that Open D Tuning , any thoughts n that part of the equation?
Tom Pettingill

Post by Tom Pettingill »

I've read that for the Division Bell tour, that he was using a Fender Deluxe. Now which version I don't know, but I've seen a clip where someone coped that tone with the older Trap pickup.

In later years he has been mostly using this Red Jedson. Hard to say for sure whats under that cover, maybe some kind of EMG?. In any event, I think something P90 like would get you there.

And definitely post when you are done :)

Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

His red steel guitar is a Jedson, a Japanese copy of a Fender Deluxe 6. I have read on this forum that he has an EMG pickup on it. Not sure if it's a humbucker or single coil (EMG makes both) but it sure does sound fat on the live video from Royal Albert Hall. Probably an overdriven amp too.

I'm always skeptical when someone says he wants to buy certain gear because he wants to sound like a famous player. That's usually fool's gold. Most 'famous' players can tweak a few knobs on an any amp or on any guitar and within a minute will have their signature sound. I've witnessed that many times.
Charles Shafer

Post by Charles Shafer »

Gilmour is one of my favorites, I follow his music quite a bit. David play this
Jedson lap steel - Red, fitted with an EMG-H pickup. Open Em chord tuning (E B E G B E) for High Hopes

Cited: http://www.gilmourish.com/?page_id=218
chris ivey

Re: What Pickup does Gilmore use on the Tune High Hopes?

Post by chris ivey »

George Piburn wrote:I have a client .... I Hope folks will want to have me post photos of the Build.
kind of an odd thing to say. why not just post pictures the way you always do. if it's ok with your 'client'.
George Piburn

Have n't started building it yet.

Post by George Piburn »

Have not started building the left play yet.

Here are some photos of the Right hand versions.

I'm introducing a 2014 Series of Both S8 Laps and I've decided to go for 6 String as well. With so much interest in modern players wanting the 6 string - over hand bottle neck and open tunings.

The New 6ers will be very versatile - Both Right and Left Play. Hand made 1/8 X 1/2 Brass Nickel Nut and Bridge 3/8 nut spacing and adjustable bridge spacing for wider .390 typical of P90s and other 6 string pups.

Multiple pickup pockets - A Humbucker pocket that allows dozens of drop in possibilities.

I have the pocket for the Lollar Supro he offers, P90 Standard Pickup, and P90 in a Humbucker Housing , Alumitone P90 , other Alumitone pups.

On custom orders I can create a pup pocket for basically any pup out there.

The Body's can go 22.5 or 23 scale - the ones in the photos are 23 's. With the P90 HB and a normal P90

The S8's are set up for 22.5 scale 3/8 spacing CNC milled brass - nickel Nut and Bridge , currently at the mill and plate shop.

All will have my new Lexan Fret Boards Non Glare Surface, and the S8 can take 22.5 - 23 - 24 scale no worries.

The first 8 S8's will be selling for 1/2 price, as they are production samples. Some are Walnut Book Matched and some are KOA Birds eye booked .

Last but not least , all of the Lap Body's are available in KIT Formats with or with out Banding Channels pre cut for you.

Robert Allen

Lefty

Post by Robert Allen »

Many times left handed instruments don't have a high resale value. The man who ordered this one from me said he might want to resell it or might learn to play right handed. With the controls on the end, conversion from lefty to righty was only a matter of changing the strings and the nut. It'll be interesting to see what you come up with George. You make excellent instruments. I hope you succeed in the 6-string market. My experience has been that it's tougher to sell an expensive six than an expensive eight.
John RJ Wilson

Post by John RJ Wilson »

Doug Beaumier wrote:
EMG-H pickup
a humbucker.
Hi Doug no it is not a Humbucker, it is an active SA EMG single coil like those in the DG strat set, inside a Humbaucker sized casing. He is almost certainly using an EMG SPC as well.

cheers
Guyatone HG-91, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Ernie Ball Jr volume pedal.