Eminence EPS -12 for Peavey Nashville 112!!!

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Tommy White

Eminence EPS -12 for Peavey Nashville 112!!!

Post by Tommy White »

I installed the new EPS-12c in the Nashville 112 today. It sounds tons better. It is cleaner, more balanced and has less of the mid honk than the original speaker. Weighs a lot less too! So, with the new Eminence speaker and new MOD brand reverb tank this amp is incredible. Just sharing the information for those not satisfied with the stock Nashville 112.
It went from a so so sounding inexpensive steel amp to an expensive high fidelity sounding amp that I'd play anywhere.
Richard Tipple

Post by Richard Tipple »

Hay thanks for the tip there Tommy :) I haven't used my NV112 for some time now because of the ,,Honk, in the mid range,,never could get it quite right. I may try the EPS speaker & see what I get,,,,
Tommy White

Post by Tommy White »

Richard, what I should have said was, it virtually deleted the honk. I can now dial in some midrange to my liking. Amazing how much sparkle, more function of the eq controls and clarity the Eminence speaker gave the little amp. I would guess the Peavey light weight speaker would do the same. Since installing the EPS 15 speakers in my Evans and Webbs, I just thought I'd give the Eminence a try in the Nashville112. Glad I did!
Jim Priebe

Post by Jim Priebe »

Why Peavey ever selected the Blue Marvel for this otherwise great amp (NV 112) really escapes me.
I have tried hooking the Bl M to just about every thing (Vocals, Monitor, Karaoke (ugh!), Big bins - you name it) and it consistently turns the sound to very ordinary.
On the other hand the EPS speakers have just the opposite effect- even in amps aimed at Guitars - always improves the sound - bright, plenty of bass response, nice manageable mids and sweet plus buckets of volume capacity.
Nice product Eminence! As for the "Marvel" well-----??
Priebs GFI ('09)Short-Uni10. GFI ('96)Short-Uni SD11. ('86)JEM U12
www.steelguitardownunder.com
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I took away most of the "mid honk" in my NV112 by installing the OPA2134 op amps on the preamp board. I'm not a fan of "amp mods" but this one is worth it.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Wayne Quinn

will i

Post by Wayne Quinn »

well Tommy comeing from you sounds very interesting. I have a EPS 12 with about 5 hrs playing on it. had it in a 130 peavey special that I had. and I removed it when I sold the amp and I was wondering what it might sound like in the 112. now I think you just convinced me to give it a try . does it bolt up in the amp ok Tommy and thanks for your information Tommy. I really do appreciate this info :D
D10 Carter, SD10 Mullen .Nashville 400,. peavey 112 Boss DD3., RV5,
Tim Whitlock

Post by Tim Whitlock »

Curious as to why the EPS-12c only comes in a 4 ohm version. Most 12" speaker applications are 8 ohm. I'd love to try them out but my 2x12 amps want to see 4 ohms, not 2, and my 1x12 amps want to see 8 ohms, not 4. Is the Nash 112 4 ohms?
Tommy White

Post by Tommy White »

Hi Wayne,
Yes, the Eminence has the same exact bolt/mount pattern. It took me about 20 minutes to
change the speaker . Simply pull the back bottom panel off, remove locknuts, give the old speaker a firm yank and out it comes. Remove old paper gasket from baffle board, as the Eminence came with a thick firm foam gasket already on speaker. 2 gaskets won't allow enough thread on mounting bolts for nuts to bite. ( figured that out the hard way). Be sure to check length of speaker wires coming out of the amp. Mine were really short and not much to work with. If they are indeed short, you will need to clip the wide blade of the clips off, leaving just the stem of the wire connectors. Those connector stems will then fit perfectly into the new speaker connectors and tighten down.
Tim, I just assumed the Nashville 112 was 4 ohm like all other Peavey steel guitar amps. I didn't measure ohms. Seems to be better than fine. I think Eminence does manufacture 12" 8ohm light weight speakers for many applications. Hopefully they have one for your needs.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

The Blue Marvel speaker is made by Eminence for Peavey, thus another Eminence speaker should be an exact fit.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Tommy White

Post by Tommy White »

Well yeah, what Jack said. :)
James Gennrich

4 Ohms

Post by James Gennrich »

Tommy don't worry about putting a 4 ohm ESP 12 in your Nashville. The Nashville is rated at 80 watts at 4 ohms, so it is looking for a 4 ohm load. Jim
Tommy White

Post by Tommy White »

Thank you James. Just as I assumed. So there you have it Mr. Tim!
Chris Boyd

Post by Chris Boyd »

Tim... Telonics makes an 8 ohm neo 12"( also an Eminence) that would work for you... many guys here have raved about the 4 ohm version,and enough inquiries were made that they went ahead with the 8 ohm version...
Wayne Quinn

thanks.

Post by Wayne Quinn »

appreciate the help.Thanks Tommy and Jack also for the info. like I said be for I really do appreciate the help. I,am going to switch her tomorrow :)
D10 Carter, SD10 Mullen .Nashville 400,. peavey 112 Boss DD3., RV5,
Gary Reed

Post by Gary Reed »

Will the Telonics 12" 4ohm line up with holes in a Nashville 112 as the EPS-12C does?
Gary Reed

Post by Gary Reed »

Tim,
I believe Jim Palenscar sells Telonics 12" 8 and 4 ohm.
http://www.steelguitars.me/
Bob Hamilton

Post by Bob Hamilton »

I just put an Altec 417-8c in mine. Wow what a difference.
Roger Francis

Post by Roger Francis »

I have the telonics 12- 4 ohm in my 112 and what a great speaker it is for this amp, might just be my ears but seems to have more volume to it, pre on 3 post on 4-5 and its about all i want, and the tone is great
Rittenberry SD10, 2 nashville 112s with telonics speaker, behringer EPQ450 power amp, 705 pups, Telonics FP-100, live steel strings, mogami cords, wet reverb
Jay Ganz

Post by Jay Ganz »

Gary Reed wrote:Will the Telonics 12" 4ohm line up with holes in a Nashville 112 as the EPS-12C does?
Again...they're all made by Eminence so they should have the same mounting pattern.
Just the "innards" are a bit different depending on the specs each company wants Eminence to use when making their particular speaker.
Tommy White

Post by Tommy White »

Yes, what Mr. Jay said!
Bob, the EPS -12c is rated at 450 watts where as the Altec is rated at 70 watts, which is less wattage than the Nashville 112 is rated. You may experience distortion and less control of EQ at higher volume with the Altec. However, if it sounds good to you, that really is all that matters. :)
Bob Hamilton

Altec in 112

Post by Bob Hamilton »

Hi Tommy, haven't had it out of the house yet, but the A/B test at home was enough for me to give it a try. The Altec site says it's rated at 75 watts, so I'm pretty close to the 112 in power handling. I use the NV 400 for the louder groups anyway. Thanks for the tip tho, I'll be listening. B
Howard Parker

Post by Howard Parker »

I can confirm that the Telonics is a drop in replacement for the N-112.

h
Howard Parker

03\' Carter D-10
70\'s Dekley D-10
52\' Fender Custom
Many guitars by Paul Beard
Listowner Resoguit-L
Gary Reed

Post by Gary Reed »

Howard,
Any problems with gasget replacement?
Tommy White

Post by Tommy White »

Hi Gary,
If indeed the Eminence manufactured Telonics is packaged as the
Eminence EPS-12c it will have a firm foam gasket for face mounting.
That gasket is thicker and better than the oem gasket. You will simply
need to peel the old paper gasket from the baffle board. Very easy task.
mike nolan

Post by mike nolan »

I have the EPS 12c 4 ohm in an extension cab that I use with various heads. I bought the Telonics 8 ohm 12" to put in a Deluxe reverb as Eminence does not make an 8 ohm 12". I actually like the EPS 12C better on the high mid and high end.... in a tube amp, but I think that the Telonics is nicer in a solid state amp.

Just got an EPS 15C that I'm going to install in a new combo cab that arrived from JD Newell this week... the combo will be a 15 with a 62 Bassman. Pictures could follow.....

Thanks for the info Tommy.... maybe that Nash 112 of mine is coming back out of the closet :)