Lets talk about "Franklins".

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

I play a Franklin D10 as my main steel. For recording there is nothing like it.

Bob
Reggie Duncan

Post by Reggie Duncan »

Mike Johnson.
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Bobby Black played one for a while. Great guitars.

Now what about Ben Franklin? Image

------------------
Carter D10 9p/10k
Richard Sinkler

Brandin

Post by Brandin »

I play one, and it's black, like Bob's.
>
>
GB
Jim Smith

Post by Jim Smith »

Randle Currie plays a maroon D-10 Franklin with Brad Paisley.
Bill Ford

Post by Bill Ford »

Donna Hamett used to play a Franklin,sounded pretty good to me.Although I think Donna could make almost any PSG sound good.MHO

Bill F.

------------------
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Donna Hammitt w/ Bill Anderson
Dan Tyack

Post by Dan Tyack »

I have 4 Franklin pedal instruments, and I have been hooked for over two decades now.
Dan Tyack

Post by Dan Tyack »

Oh yeah, a couple of players who own and use Franklins are Bruce Bouton and Hal Rug.
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

There's something funny about Franklin owners/players. They don't tend to hoot and holler about their axes. I try to be the same although I'm sometimes compelled to counter people's bad manners and breeding regarding my choice in guitar (not Franklin). But the quiet going about their business way of Franklin folk has a real appeal.
Jim Phelps

Post by Jim Phelps »

I've always found that the quiet guys are the best players; and the big talkin' hootin' and holler-ers about their "best" equipment and what great players they are .... are not! Image<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jim Phelps on 18 August 2002 at 08:12 PM.]</p></FONT>
Bobby Boggs

Post by Bobby Boggs »

I also play a black Franklin D-10. --bb
Dan Tyack

Post by Dan Tyack »

You might have a point there, Jon. It might be that we Franklin players are low key and unassuming folks......Or maybe we want to keep a good thing to ourselves Image

In terms of statistics, I imagine that something approaching 30-50% of all the top 20 singles in the last decade were recorded on a Franklin.....
Lucky Oceans

Post by Lucky Oceans »

When I play pedal steel, I still play my old Franklin serial# 008 that I bought from Dan Tyack in the early 80s. Excellent smooth blend for recording and very lightweight for live gigs. Until recently, my steel comrade from the other side of Australia, the fabulously musical and smooth Michel Rose (who'll be playing the convention in St. Louis with the 'Feral Swing Katz')also played a Franklin.
Steve Stallings

Post by Steve Stallings »

While all of these replies are true, I think the real reason you don't hear much about Franklins is simple math. Compared to the number of Emmons, Carters, Shobuds, Mullen, and Zums, I don't believe there are a whole bunch of these guitars out there. If memory serves me, I recall an article with Paul Jr. commenting that his dad only builds about 20 guitars a year. I'm kind of fuzzy on the exact number, but I remember being surprised that it was so few.

That being said, they are wonderful guitars that are heard on a ton of hit records.

------------------
Steve Stallings
Bremond, Texas

CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

i've been on this Forum for just over a couple of years and i've only seen 2 Franklins for sale here.
they must be Good axes.

Wayne Cox

Post by Wayne Cox »

I procured one a few years ago for a student of mine. He still loves it and I'm still envious!
W.C.
Steve Feldman

Post by Steve Feldman »

Well, maybe just a little hooting and hollering...

http://webpages.charter.net/zoeeko/DSC00093a.JPG

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Steve Feldman on 19 August 2002 at 05:09 PM.]</p></FONT>
Brett Day

Post by Brett Day »

Randle Currie who is now on tour with Brad Paisley plays a Franklin and the sound is incredible. Also, Teddy Carr, a steel player for a band called Ricochet played a Franklin. The Franklin he played was a 1994 model. He played the Franklin from 1994 to 2000. Teddy left Ricochet in 2000. Brett Day, Emmons S-10
Derek Duplessie

Post by Derek Duplessie »

I have a franklin now and i just put an order
in for a new (dark blue)one!I've never played
a guitar that played or sounded better in my
life!!!!!!!Instead of being made in a factory
by machines,these guitars are hand made in
paul sr. house.It takes about a year to get
one if you order it new and no one usually
ever sells them used.Mike Johnson,Paul F.,
Bruce Bouton plays them (pretty much all the
main studio players).I wouldn't sell my guitar if someone payed me!They are great investments also because there just aren't
many out there.I'm glad to hear there are other franklin players out there too! -Derek
Johan Jansen

Post by Johan Jansen »

It's a very, very good machine that produces a silk sound with a golden edge. Also in rock music, the way Dan Tyack playes trough a pushed tube-amp, it gives a sound nothing can beat!
It's a dreamguitar!
JJ
John Bechtel

Post by John Bechtel »

Well, here goes my two cents! I've been playing a Franklin D-10 since 1980. I had #024,#069,and in Nov., '02, I picked up #0192 of the D-10 Mod. My latest guitar is a D-10 (9 & 8) with Lawrence L-710 p/u's, and the color is Dark Laurel. A beautiful looking/sounding guitar! All three guitars were superb quality, nothing like them! "Big John" Bechtel w/Peavey Classic 50/212, E–LG Sound Enhancer, Phoenix Red-Rajah and Goodrich L-120 V/P. <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by John Bechtel on 16 November 2003 at 04:44 PM.]</p></FONT> <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by John Bechtel on 16 November 2003 at 04:52 PM.]</p></FONT> <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by John Bechtel on 16 November 2003 at 04:56 PM.]</p></FONT>
Bob Lawrence

Post by Bob Lawrence »

I put a down payment on a Franklin D-10 in St Louis this year. I should have it in about a year from now. Image Image Image

------------------