1966 GIBSON Trini Lopez Standard Sold locally Pls Close

Guitars, fiddles, banjos, keyboards, clarinets, bagpipes, etc.
Ben Elder

1966 GIBSON Trini Lopez Standard Sold locally Pls Close

Post by Ben Elder »

Image Image

I hope the ghost of Ted McCarty and the guitar's namesake himself haunt and pummel me for doing this, but here for sale is a 1966 Gibson Trini Lopez Standard.

Functionally, it's the same as the legendary and deliriously coveted ES-335, except with Fender-style headstock, diamond soundholes, tailpiece badge and double-arrow fretboard inlays.

Serial number 800xxx was used in 1966, 1967, 1968 and 1969, but the short black concave-top knobs were used through 1966, before the change to taller "witch-hat" knobs. The tuners are correct period Kluson replacements; mini-Schallers have been removed. Before I got this (2000), probably many years before I got it, it had a headstock repair but the repair area and splines look to have received lots of playing wear since then. (That tiny chip in the finish was there when I got it.) This has a slightly thin neck--not as thin as some Gibsons in the mid-'60s--a hair wider than 1-5/8".

Everything else on the guitar appears to be original. (Will come with some kind of hardshell case to be determined--possibly a dreadnaught hardshell.)

Rather than try to get what other player-Trini's have fetched on eBay (north of $3000)--and pay eBig eBrother a predatory and Capone-worthy final value fee--I'd rather offer this to the Forum for {price drop--through Sun 6/8 only} $2500 (+shipping + PayPal). There is a limited-edition reissue, but not many were made (and the ones that were have unbound soundholes.)

Better to email me -- weissenben(At}earthlink{dot}net -- than post directly to this thread.

Last edited by Ben Elder on 7 Jun 2014 11:32 am, edited 7 times in total.
"Gopher, Everett?"
Chris Boyd

Post by Chris Boyd »

What a beauty !
Last edited by Chris Boyd on 17 Apr 2014 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ben Elder

Post by Ben Elder »

$2800 may seem like a bit o' change, but see what they're asking for these on gbase.com .
"Gopher, Everett?"
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

These are wonderful guitars. I played one for a lot of years full time and loved it. Unfortunately I sold it a few years ago to get my old Telecaster back. I wish I still had the Trini. That neck repair however does drop the value somewhat but the neck repair(s) are usually stronger than an undamaged neck. Even with that, the guitar's well worth the asking price. Here's an old shot from '76 in front of a club in Huntington Beach, Ca. with my old "Trini".....JH in Va.
Don't matter who's in Austin (or anywhere else) Ralph Mooney is still the king!!!
William Blanda

Post by William Blanda »

I've dealt with Ben before and can recommend him as an excellent seller.
Stop Fracking
John Wilson

Post by John Wilson »

Jerry Hayes wrote: Here's an old shot from '76 in front of a club in Huntington Beach, Ca. with my old "Trini"

Jerry,

Not just some "club" - the infamous GOLDEN BEAR!

J.
Customer: "Waiter, how do you prepare your chicken?"
Waiter: "We usually tell them they're not going to make it."
Ben Elder

Post by Ben Elder »

I was going to let this settle into history, but I see something else on the Forum that I can't live without and I have two other 335-like guitars in the mail or the shop, so...bump.
"Gopher, Everett?"