Hum & Brand of Strings

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jack Abraham

Hum & Brand of Strings

Post by Jack Abraham »

I wanted to see if the forum members could give me some feedback on something I recently experienced.

About two months ago I started hearing a significant hum in my rig. I changed cords, switched amps, swapped volume pedals, & checked out the pickup. When I used one of my other guitars, no significant hum. I became convinced there was something wrong with the original guitar's single coil pickup/wiring.

Last week I switched to another brand of strings. The hum went away immediately. I had changed out the old brand a couple of times during the two months that I had the problem - just for routine changing. The hum persisted each time.

Just curious if other people have experienced issues with brands of strings similar to what I came across.
Sho-Bud & Jackson guitars - Peavey,GK,& Randall amps - PODXT & ZOOM effects
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

There is a problem in the steel. Changing the strings probably shifted/bumped something to cause the hum to stop. I would look at a loose wire or a poor solder joint. Outside possibility is the pickup.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Jack Abraham

Post by Jack Abraham »

Thanks ... will do.
Sho-Bud & Jackson guitars - Peavey,GK,& Randall amps - PODXT & ZOOM effects
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

What Mr. Stoner said. While one can't argue that your experiences didn't happen together, given the nature of the string component and the nature of the electronic component, it must be coincidental and not cause and effect.
UNLESS a ball end previously sitting in the changer area got disturbed by release and reapplication of string tension, causing it to fall down and interfere somehow with your grounding, only to drop out of harm's way on the next string change.
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects