1969 Fender Super Reverb Amp ***SOLD***

Amplifiers, effects, recording equipment, seats, racks, parts, or anything else.
Skip Ellis

1969 Fender Super Reverb Amp ***SOLD***

Post by Skip Ellis »

Major mojo! 1969 Fender Super Reverb - ugly but works! Will need a trip to the tech for TLC. As you can see, it's cosmetically challenged - needs grille cloth and a good clean up. The chassis serial number and all the transformer date codes check out to 1969. Not sure if the caps are original or not. Not overly noisy but could stand a 'going through' to really get it right as it's been sitting for at least a couple years. Two original speakers are included - there are two missing but these show up on e-Bay regularly. They don't appear to have been reconed - I did reglue one of the dust caps which fell off. Has the original accutronics reverb which does not work - not sure if it's the tank or something else. Would prefer pickup as it's heavy and a bear to pack but if someone wants to foot the bill for packng and shipping I'll get it to the shipper for you or maybe we can work something else out - whatever......we can kick it around. Pretty good old amp and with a little TLC it could be good for another 45 years.

$650.00 and will split shipping to lower 48.

Also would prefer MO to avoid PP fees.

As with my other listings, I'm selling this to settle an estate so reasonable offers are encouraged - I need to sell it. Donation to b0b as usual.

Last edited by Skip Ellis on 13 Apr 2014 10:19 am, edited 4 times in total.
2013 Brook Torridge, 2014 Martin 000-18, two homebrew Teles, Evans RE200 amp, Quilter 101R head, understanding wife of 45 years. 'Steeless' at the moment but looking......
Richard Tipple

Post by Richard Tipple »

Skip,,would you sell just the cahssis??
Douglas Schuch

Post by Douglas Schuch »

Do you know what circuit it has in it? I think '69 is when CBS changed the layout of this amp, and some have the earlier AB763, others something else.
Pedal steel, lap steel, resonator, blues harp - why suck at just one instrument when you can do so on many?
Bob Hamilton

Circuit

Post by Bob Hamilton »

Looks like a later one Doug, it has the caps coming off the power tubes.
Douglas Schuch

Post by Douglas Schuch »

Bob, thanks. I wish I understood those circuit diagrams and gizmos better!
Pedal steel, lap steel, resonator, blues harp - why suck at just one instrument when you can do so on many?
Skip Ellis

Post by Skip Ellis »

It's AB763 per the tube chart
2013 Brook Torridge, 2014 Martin 000-18, two homebrew Teles, Evans RE200 amp, Quilter 101R head, understanding wife of 45 years. 'Steeless' at the moment but looking......
Jim Rossen

Post by Jim Rossen »

Tube chart is wrong. Big resistors off the power tube cathodes make it later.
Skip Ellis

Post by Skip Ellis »

Jim Rossen - Personally, I'd trust what Fender put in their amp. Not sure why you feel you have to degrade someone's equipment. If the transformers all say 1969 and the chassis says 1969, then it's a 1969 Not sure I appreciate the inference that it's not what it says it is. Are you saying that I'm being dishonest in my description? Do I have to post a photo of the tube chart. Is it a possibility that maybe they were changed at some point? As far as I'm concerned it's a 1969 Super Reverb which is what I advertised. I've been in the music business for going on 40 years and am a former Fender dealer. I played a 1972 Super Reverb for the better part of 35 years and I'll guarantee you can't tell the difference in sound between an early '69 and a late '69 - you just can't. Why the fuss? It may be late '69 or early '69 who cares? It's a '69 - that's what I advertised. It it worth less because it's a late '69 - I don't think so! I didn't say it was pre-CBS or post CBS nor do I care. I have a 1969 Fender Super Reverb for sale and that's what matters to me.I'm trying to sell this to settle an estate and get a few $$$ for the widow of a friend of mine. I'm not trying to mislead anyone - I just want to sell an amplifier and thought my 'friends' on the Steel Guitar Forum would be interested in it. Maybe I should have stuck to e-Bay!
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

POST DELETED
Last edited by Lefty on 12 Apr 2014 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Douglas Schuch

Post by Douglas Schuch »

Skip,

Don't get upset, just a valid question. While you certainly should point out the chart, my understanding is that Fender frequently posted old tube charts after the circuit changed, so that unfortunately is not reliable. We know from what you have checked that it is a 69 Siverface, and no one is doubting that. It is only a question of which circuit it is, since they changed in 69, as I noted in my original question. I can't tell diddly from a diagram or looking at the circuits, but I respect those guys who can. THEY ARE NOT DEGRADING YOUR EQUIPMENT, and no one is doubting it is a '69. Only answering a question I posed, and I thank them for doing so (and it was not just Jim, one other person agreed it was the later of the two circuits used in '69).

As for difference in tone, from what I have read, I think any of us could easily hear the difference. Fender Guru says "The later silverface circuits were changed further by CBS to become cleaner, harder and thinner sounding, specially if one compares amps at the same volume and EQ setting." Which we might prefer is a different question, as Silverface amps with the later circuitry are certainly highly respected as well.

Good luck with the sale.
Skip Ellis

Post by Skip Ellis »

Yeah, I once read an interview from a guy who said Jerry Garcia could tell the difference between brass plugs and chrome plugs on his guitar cords! It's the same old BS that goes back to the days when the rockers said that there was a difference in sound between the humbuckers with 'zebra' coils and the ones with two black coils - they just couldn't admit that the factory ran out of a certain color plastic for a week one time. And Garcia was generally so wasted, he probably didn't know what brand of guitar he ws playing on any given day. If you did a blindfold test with an early '69 and a late '69 Super I bet not 1 out of 100 guys could tell the difference. You have to understand that it's not just the circuitry in the amp or whether the speakers have been reconed or not - it can be the difference of where one guy with a leather jacket is sitting in a room full of 200 people. Plus, you can't say that an early '69 is going to sound diffrent than a later '69 when you plug a Tele into one and a Les Paul into the other. Most of this so-called expert info is just hype in my opinion. I had one of the best Fender repairmen on the planet working for me for 10 years - he's been doing it since the 50's - and he'll tell you the same thing. There are just too many variables. I personally have a 1964 Deluxe Reverb that I, personally, think sounds like crap - I much prefer my G&K MB-200 even for guitar.

However, I probably will pull the ad because you folks questioning the version of the circuit has cast doubt on the value of the amp and confused any non Fender amp 'gurus' as to whether it's even worth buying because it MIGHT have been made a couple months later or earlier. THANKS VERY MUCH!!

Oh, and by the way, the transformers were all built during the first quarter of 1969: 10th, 12th, 16th & 18th weeks of the year.
William Rasch

Post by William Rasch »

First off Skip its a nice amp worthy of restoration. I believe its the latter circuit by looking at the large resistors and caps on the power tubes. Now that being said I have worked on dozens of these amps and all can be returned to the earlier circuit by reworking the bias control and removing those caps and resistors which were put there to suppress noise caused by some lead dress problems Fender was having. These things can be accomplished in no time and would be at minimal cost to the owner. These amps have the same iron as the blackface amps and are killer deals in todays market. I have heard many a silverface amp that killed their blackface cousins. Oh yeah I'd concur that it is a 69 by the reddish brown caps used and the aluminum trim. Those caps were used in 69 and into the early seventies. Shoot me an email with a price, I might take it off your hands. These are very nice amps
Bill Hatcher

Post by Bill Hatcher »

the earliest 68-69 amps had a smaller version of the cloth wire. later the wire went to the thick plastic coat like this amp has. there is even a size difference in some of this era supers. one version is just a little wider and will only fit the cab its in. worked on one from a customer like that.

two ways to look at these amps. some folks hate them because of the all the stuff that the engineers who came after leo and wanted to change stuff in the amp to make them more linear and so called "reliable". the 68-69 years were vilified for a time just because they replaced the beloved blackface amps and they for sure had a different sound. now they have become collectible in their own way.

this amp has a whole lot of potential for a great gig amp. if you have some soldering skills, you can "blackface" this amp right back to early 60s specs, or you can just play it like it is, just needing the filter caps upgraded. i wish i lived close to where the amp is. i would for sure go get it.... i have 5 super reverbs here. its a great amp for many different kinds of music if you dont mind lugging it around. send me an email and let me know what you would take for it.
Skip Ellis

Post by Skip Ellis »

Just noticed that I forgot to post a price. I've been asking $750.00 on e-Bay to give me some wiggle room but to forumites it's $650.00 and I'll split shipping to the lower 48 and give b0b a donation. I can wrap the tubes in a foam lined box and tie them down or ship in 2 separate packages which may be better. I had Fedex destroy a pair of EVM 12's while back that were bolted face to face with 1/4" bolts. They totally crushed the cast frames. They did pay me, though.

PM or e-mail me with any questions.
Skip Ellis

Post by Skip Ellis »

b0b, please close this thread - I don't have a snowball's chance of selling this on here.
Thanks!!
Steve McAvoy

Post by Steve McAvoy »

Not so fast. Please check your Inbox & email Skip...
Skip Ellis

Post by Skip Ellis »

OK, Steve, Richard, Bill and those of you who have expressed an interest: I'd like to get $475.00 plus shipping & PayPal fees for the amp. As it sits, with only 2 speakers, it weighs right at 55 pounds. Fedex limit is 75 pounds - I figure it will weigh pretty close to that after I box it up. Figure a 30"x30"x16" box weighing 75 pounds from my ZIP (34209) to yours and you can get an idea of the price. I have a local supplier of 4x8 sheets of double wall cardboard and will line the inside with some kind of foam or peanuts or whatever to get it there safely. I've only had Fedex break one thing in 25 years and they paid me so I tend to use them when possible. Greyhound is good too of you can live with only $300 in insurance.

The earliest "I'll take it" in my e-mail box (surv450@aol.com) gets it.