"Don't Cry For Me Argentina" from the musical "Evita"

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Kay Das

"Don't Cry For Me Argentina" from the musical "Evita"

Post by Kay Das »

Don't Cry for Me Argentina was the most famous tune from the 1978 musical Evita composed by Andrew Lloyd Webber with lyrics by Tim Rice. Madonna recorded her version of the song for her starring role in the 1996 film Evita inspired by the life of Eva Perón, wife of Argentine president Juan Perón. The story follows Evita's early life, rise to power, charity work, and eventual death. The musical began as a rock opera. Its success led to productions in London's West End in 1978, winning the Laurence Olivier Award for Best Musical, and on Broadway a year later, where it was the first British musical to receive the Tony Award for Best Musical. The musical was revived in London in 2006, and on Broadway in 2012. In this instrumental version I play the lead on steel guitar. The accompaniments are by Gary Taylor and Trevor Spencer. Key of D.

https://soundcloud.com/kay-das/dont-cry ... -argentina

Enjoy!

Kay
John RJ Wilson

Post by John RJ Wilson »

This is great, and If I ever need to show anybody where Leo Fender was going when he invented the Stratocaster and the sound he was trying to emulate and why he slanted that pickup, this is where I will link them, because that was my overwhelming thought when I heard this, I understood.
There parts of this that are indistinguishable from Hank Marvin's version on the Strat.

Thanks for the enlightenment. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgvHRNfW9GQ

picked at random to illustrate
Guyatone HG-91, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Ernie Ball Jr volume pedal.
Kay Das

Post by Kay Das »

John,

Grateful for the appreciation and also the superb link. Hank Marvin is my guitar hero. Attached is a pic of the custom "Steelocaster" used on this recording that Bob Littleton of West Coast Steel built to my specification.

Where in the UK are you located? I used to live in England at one time.

Kay
John RJ Wilson

Post by John RJ Wilson »

wow great guitar.
I hale from Fife Scotland, roughly half way between Edinburgh and St Andrews, that usually nails it.
Guyatone HG-91, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Ernie Ball Jr volume pedal.