Gfi

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bernie McCrary

Gfi

Post by Bernie McCrary »

I have a GFI steel in E9. The a pedal sounds like a barn door. I have lubed every moving part that I can find and it didn't help. Any one have a suggestion?

I don't play in the barn.

Thanks
Bernie :lol:
Carl Kilmer

Post by Carl Kilmer »

Did you lube the shaft on the pedal itself and the
ball where the pull rod connects to it. Possible cause.
aka "Lucky Kay"--Custom built Rittenberry SD10 3X5, Walker S/S, NV-112, and Hilton Pedal
Dave Hepworth

Post by Dave Hepworth »

Bernie I have. A GFI which did the same .Lube the "hook " on the end of the pedal rod as it makes contact with the pedal rod bell crank .Dave
Jim Palenscar

Post by Jim Palenscar »

I echo what Dave said. Sometimes a gentle filing of those two areas where there is contact will solve the problem for good.
Dan Behringer

Post by Dan Behringer »

I had a problem with a pedal clacking in the pedal board.. I finally figured out that the metal part of the pedal stuck out farther than the delrin (nylon) barrel. I just loosened up the thru-bolt and repositioned everything and that fixed it. I did see that the next step would have required some filing or grinding on the pedal itself if that hadn't fixed it.
Bernie McCrary

barn door

Post by Bernie McCrary »

I checked the pedal as suggested but the sound seems to come from the top of the rod connected to the pedal immediately beneath the board. Or in that area. It is really hard to find it because the noise travels through the complete mechanism.
Thanks for the reply.
I'll keep trying.
Bernie
Dave Hepworth

Post by Dave Hepworth »

Bernie,
It looks like the problem is as I said .Look at the top of the pedal rod the hooked bit which goes into the hole at the crank underneath the body.The hooked bit is rubbing against the hole and making a sound as you press the pedal.Lube the hook bit with Teflon spray or whatever and it should go away .Dave
Jeff Porter

Post by Jeff Porter »

+ 1 for Dave's reply.
On my GFI I used a little Chapstick and it worked great. Stays put on the inside of the hook and made the sound go away for quite a while.
"I make dozens of dollars a year playing music."
Dan Behringer

Post by Dan Behringer »

I had forgot about this one....I bought my Ultra used and when I got it there was a wore spot where the pedal rod hooked to the bell crank. When I'd press the pedal the rod would twist and pop on that wore spot. I had to take a small file to the inside of the hole and smooth it out.
I'm a firm believer in a good quality grease on open mechanisms whenever possible. So with a dab of Schaeffer's and the file, I haven't had any more problems.
Bernie McCrary

Gfi

Post by Bernie McCrary »

OK Carl
I removed the rod and worked the pull rod (the square bar) by hand and it still squeaked. I lubed the tuning knob of the low B string and that seemed to help. Still squeaks but not a bad. Maybe that will eventually go away. There is so much lub every where I guess I will have to play "the red river valley" until it dries up.
Thanks for the help.
Bernie

P.S. I use spray lub, Triflow. It says superior lubricant on the can.
Bernie McCrary

GFI squeak

Post by Bernie McCrary »

It's gone. Not sure the exact spot but after the last lub it went away.
Thanks guys.
Bernie
John Polstra

Post by John Polstra »

Well, it's nice to know there's a problem for which "Red River Valley" is the solution.

John