extra holes in the pedals?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Larry Jackson

extra holes in the pedals?

Post by Larry Jackson »

This is another "newbie" question:

In adjusting the pedals on my BMI I noticed there are extra holes in each pedal, four in all. I'm assuming these are for height adjustment, also? Or travel adjustment? Thought I'd better ask before I monkey with them.
BMI S10, Beard E model reso, Gold Tone Deluxe Beard Sig. reso, Guild acoustic guitar
Jim Williams

Post by Jim Williams »

Travel adjustments...harder or softer pedal action.
GFI SM10 3/4, 1937 Gibson EH-150, 2 - Rondo SX Lap Steels and a Guyatone 6 String C6. Peavey 400 and a Roland 40 Amps. Behringer Reverb Pedal.
Larry Jackson

Post by Larry Jackson »

Thanks for the reply, Jim.

I have watched some players and it seems to me their pedal travel is a lot shorter than mine. Can you tell me what harder or softer means? I guess if you want shorter travel you move the rod forward, right?
BMI S10, Beard E model reso, Gold Tone Deluxe Beard Sig. reso, Guild acoustic guitar
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

Larry Jackson wrote: Can you tell me what harder or softer means? I guess if you want shorter travel you move the rod forward, right?
It's basic leverage, Larry.
If you want a lever to get the same result but in a shorter throw, it'll get harder to move, and if you want to make it easier (softer) to press, but still move the B strings to C#, it'll increase the pedal throw.
"Forward" vs. "Backwards" is relative, so I'll say that if you want a shorter travel (but still moving the changer the same distance) you'll move the rod closer to the pedal bar, but it will make the pedal harder (as in stiffer under the foot).
Make sense?
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

Pink hole will yield longer pedal throw, easier, softer action. Blue hole will yield shorter, stiffer pedal throw. Before getting involved in this, consider if you are willing to potentially alter the relationships between the pedals--do the A,B & C pedals bottom out at the right time, relative to one another, eg?

I question the wisdom of a beginner customizing a steel, deciding how he wants it before knowing what's ok, normal, desirable. Diagnosing a problem that may not exist has the potential to make the instrument tougher to play or even in need of expert readjustment, robbing oneself of valuable playing/learning time.
It is, of course your guitar and your judgement and the forum is here to help.
David Nugent

Post by David Nugent »

Another thing to consider, moving the rod to the hole marked with the blue arrow will also move it closer to your foot while playing which may or may not create a problem. The center hole would appear to me to be a viable compromise for the present.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Sho~Buds came with two holes in the pedal.
The different holes can also be used to "time" the pulls, especially the A & B pedals.
Lee Dassow

Post by Lee Dassow »

Don Fritche, Builder of BMI'S, Told me and I quote;
Leave the studs in the Middle Of the pedal Lee, thats where they belong. At least on BMI'S. Just
passing on some information. Tennessee Lee
2015 Mullen D-10 Royal Precision 9x8,-1990 BMI S-10 5x5-1972 Silver face Fender pro Reverb amp,-1965 Fender Super Reverb Amp,- 1966 Fender Showman Amp Two 15" JBL speakers,- 2006 65 Fender Twin Reverb reissue Amp,- 1982 Peavey Session 500 amp,-1978 Peavey Session 400,Goodrich Volume Pedals,John Pearse Steel Bars,
Larry Jackson

Post by Larry Jackson »

Thanks for the info, guys. I seriously doubt I'll have any need to change where the rods are. I mainly just wondered what the holes were for.