Newbie Question on Tuning

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Mike Burch

Newbie Question on Tuning

Post by Mike Burch »

As stated in other posts I am new to not only Lap Steel, but playing any instrument in general. So please be patient. :) I just took possession of my first Lap Steel and found that it is tuned Open G G-B-D-G-B-D low to high. I have seen in many posts here and looking at other sources and the primarily recommended tuning is C6 listed as C-E-G-A-C-E again from low to high. My question is can I re-tune to this C6 using the same strings? Also, I do not know if I tune the low G up or down to get the C.
Thanks in advance.
~MjB
Jean-Sebastien Gauthier

Post by Jean-Sebastien Gauthier »

No you cant, you will need different gauge.
Mike Burch

Post by Mike Burch »

Jean-Sebastien Gauthier wrote:No you cant, you will need different gauge.
I was afraid of that. Thank you for the response.
Ray Langley

Post by Ray Langley »

Bluesman's Epitath: "Didn't get up this morning"!
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/LapSteelGuitar/
Steve Lipsey

Post by Steve Lipsey »

...and it depends on what kind of music you will be playing - GBDGBD is just fine for many types.....
www.facebook.com/swingaliband & a few more....
Williams S10s, Milkman Pedal Steel Mini & "The Amp"
Ben Bonham "CooderNator" archtop parlor electric reso w/Fishman & Lollar string-through
Ben Bonham "ResoBorn" deep parlor acoustic reso with Weissenborn neck and Fishman
Ben Bonham Style 3 Tricone., 1954 Oahu Diana, 1936 Oahu Parlor Squareneck
Jim Williams

Post by Jim Williams »

If you're new you are going to need some training material. There are a lot more books, courses, downloadable lessons for c6. It is also very versatile. The problem I see with the current tuning is that it is what is mostly used on bluegrass dobro and in my opinion doesn't sound all that great on a steel.
GFI SM10 3/4, 1937 Gibson EH-150, 2 - Rondo SX Lap Steels and a Guyatone 6 String C6. Peavey 400 and a Roland 40 Amps. Behringer Reverb Pedal.
Ray Langley

Post by Ray Langley »

Steve has it pegged: What kind of music do you want to play? That is the most important question.

Mike, you said, "primarily recommended tuning is C6". But, again... it depends on what YOU want to play. If you want to sound like Duane Allman or Elmore James then Open E or Open D is the way to go. If you want to sound like old-time bottleneck blues players, then Open E/D or Open G (D-G-D-G-B-D) is the recommended tuning.

If you list your 5 favorite players or 5 favorite songs that YOU want to learn to play, then the advice you receive here for the best tuning will make more sense.
Bluesman's Epitath: "Didn't get up this morning"!
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/LapSteelGuitar/
Mark DeMarino

Post by Mark DeMarino »

I am pretty much a duplicate of Mike, a "newbie". Just picked up a n SX off Craigslist for $80. Had my friend take it to his guitar man in Galveston, TX, Island Music. It was given a good lookover and found to be in good working order.

Not sure how it was initially tuned, but he tuned it to a standard guitar tuning,Eb F# Bb Eb Bb Eb Low-High, I believe.

My son, who is musically inclined and knowledgeable retuned it to C6,C-E-G-A-C-E Low-High,I think.

Should I restring it with aa specific gauge string? I have no idea of prior owners strings are.

My intent/desire eventually is to play Classic Rock ie: CSN&Y, Beatles, S&G, MTB, Southern Rock and Country. MMM, JJW,Willie and other Texas Country legends.

Help needed on lesson packages, as well. Where to start, go to NOW??

Thanks SGF members...MD
"Eyes up, Chin the same, Looking for Cloudstreets calling my name"
m.a.demarino...oct.2009

2011? Rondo SX C6
Gorilla Amp
Waiting on Custom Gary Swallow steel