RIP Cajun Fiddler Al Berard...

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Jim Newberry

RIP Cajun Fiddler Al Berard...

Post by Jim Newberry »

The most generous and encouraging musician I've had the honor to know passed away suddenly today. Al was a multi-instrumentalist, but was best known as a bearer of the Cajun fiddle tradition. An extraordinary man who will be sorely missed by our community.

http://www.offbeat.com/2014/02/26/fiddl ... -aneurysm/

"The Masher of Touch and Tone"

-1950 Fender Dual Pro 8
-1950's Fender Dual Pro 6
-Clinesmith D8
-Clinesmith 8-string Frypan
-Clinesmith Joaquin
-~1940 National New Yorker
-~1936 Rickenbacher B6
-Homebuilt Amps
Terry Huval

Post by Terry Huval »

Al was my 3rd cousin and we grew up just a few miles from each other. Through the years we had lots of opportunities to perform together, including his lovely and talented family. We all even worked together with Don Helms at a number of south Louisiana performances. As it turns out, Al died just a few days before Don's birthday.

Al's funeral had standing room only with many friends having to stand outside of St. Joseph's Catholic Church in his hometown of Cecilia where Al participated with the church choir of the past 40'years. The outpouring from our area has been huge.

Al was a such a good man. We will all miss him dearly.
Jim Newberry

Post by Jim Newberry »

Thanks for that Terry. Al had many friends up here who are deeply saddened by the loss.
"The Masher of Touch and Tone"

-1950 Fender Dual Pro 8
-1950's Fender Dual Pro 6
-Clinesmith D8
-Clinesmith 8-string Frypan
-Clinesmith Joaquin
-~1940 National New Yorker
-~1936 Rickenbacher B6
-Homebuilt Amps
Marty Broussard

Post by Marty Broussard »

Al's son-in-law, Kyle Hebert, and I spent last weekend together on a road gig. To learn what took Al from us was stunning. I wasn't aware that someone could be taken by acute leukemia. Didn't know it existed. Additionally, Al was around my age. Makes you stop and recall your blessings.

Al will surely be missed.
"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin
Michael Breid

Post by Michael Breid »

How interesting that in the picture he looks a tad like a young Johnny Gimble. RIP Mr. Al.