Steel Guitar things to do in Nashville

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

Robert Rhea

Steel Guitar things to do in Nashville

Post by Robert Rhea »

I'm currently working in Huntsville, AL and less than a 2 hour drive to Nashville. I thought I would drive up there this Saturday and check out some musical instrument stores that specialize in PSG. Never been to Nashville, so please give me some suggestions as to were I can go to see some newer makes, like Mullen, Rittenberry, Williams, etc. I haven't played since the early '80's (had a Sho-Bud Pro I) so I 'd like to see some of the newer technologies.

Also, where can I go to see one of our forum members playing in Nashville. Please give me an idea of where to head to after I fumble around on a PSG so I can hear someone that knows what they are doing! lol

Any help would be greatly appreciated...
Bob
Barry Gokee

Post by Barry Gokee »

Robert, head down to lower broadway on Saturday starting at 11 am. you will see vic Lawson at the wheel or the stage at that time, he plays steel with gary Gibson and also works with bobbe Seymour at steel guitar Nashville. you can hang out all day Saturday downtown and see country bands from 11 am til 2 am. almost all clubs on lower broadway have no cover charge, just walk in and listen for hours. parkings a little tough sometimes. best to find a lot you can pay for the day or 8 hours. good food also downtown. if staying over night, I stay at howard Johnson just off trinity lane. 5 minute drive from downtown. clean and safe $40.00 range. hope this helps.
Justice Prolite Sd 10 Mullen D10
2 Msa D-10s HMS Sd 10
2 Session 500 Session 2000
Nashville 112 Pro-fex
Jay Kardong

Post by Jay Kardong »

I'm playing the Ryman on Wed, and will have my Rittenberry on stage! We are the opening act, and it's an early show.
Matt Butner

Post by Matt Butner »

Hey Robert, you do need to go by Steel Guitar Nashville. Their inventory is kind of low right now but they still have some nice guitars. I may be in Nashville that day also, i live about an hour away near Manchester. I plan on going to see some players downtown while i'm there as well.
Robert Rhea

Post by Robert Rhea »

According to the Steel Guitar Nashville website, they will be closed this Saturday. Open 2nd and 4th Saturdays...

Can't make it up there during the week. Thanks for the suggestions. Keep 'em coming! lol
Matt Butner

Post by Matt Butner »

Ahh that is right, i am glad you checked. I forgot about them closing some Saturdays.
Buddy Jennison

Lower Broad

Post by Buddy Jennison »

The "Legends" corner 5th & Broadway, from around noon and "Robert's" on down the street about 5 or 6 doors. Forget about Tootsies, it's now a "Tourist Trap". "Little" Buddy.
"Little" Buddy
Dave Flanagan

Post by Dave Flanagan »

If your interested in a Rittenberry , give Gary a call. I don't think he lives to far out of nashville
Rich Swiger

Other places to here steel in Nashville

Post by Rich Swiger »

When I first went to Nashville I quickly tired of the downtown.
Hey if you want to avoid the parking, traffic and unusually loud sub bass of downtown especially the Stage where the sound man is deaf. Hey lets assemble the best musicians and singers in Nashville that worked years and years to get their tone and cover it up with nasty sub bass. Cool.
Head out to where you can hear the steel and the great tone of the guitars and the singing.
Nashville Palace has music everyday, 11am 2am. You can hear Vic Lawson. Ronnie Miley. I saw Carco there on straight steel he was great. Tommy Hammum, Buck Reid, I saw there this year. Also Big City bar right behind the Palace has great entertainment.
Friday and Saturday night you can go see Jim Vest and some of the best studio musicians in NV. They will be out at Old Hickory Lk at Bell Cove. It was nice to see Jim Playing live. Great band good time, bring you own bottle. $5 cover and cheap setups.

Then there is Long Hollow Jamboree its on Long Hollow Pike Goodletsville. I saw Hank Snow's steel man the Great Kayton Roberts on non pedal knocking it out for two hours. Ernest Tubb's Lynn Osley can be seen in the crowd and on stage once in a wile. Bobby Reed plays on Tuesday.

Pearly Curtis plays awesome steel on Thursday night 7:30 to 10:30. Pearley plays a Rittenbury Guitar he let me try it and its really a good sounding guitar. If your a picker you can set in. The Judds steel man Charley Whitten is there on Fri and Sat.when he is not on the road.

Of Course don't miss the Time Jumpers and Paul Franklin on Monday night Third and Lindsley.

If you like George Jones go see Ron Crites at Nashville Palace on Monday 2to6 he does a George Tribute show. Ron is the best at covering George Jones.
Hope this helps have fun in Nashville.

Rich Swiger
Doug Jergian's Sho Bud Super Pro II,SKH Emmons D10 8x5. 74 Emmons D10 PP lacquer Quilter Steelair, Telonix volume.
Joe Moulton

Long Hollow

Post by Joe Moulton »

IF YOU WANT TO TO HEAR A GOOD BAND WITH STEEL AND FIDDLE BLUE CREEK MY FRIEND ERNIE ROWELL PUT THE GROUP TOGETHER DAMEN GRAY IS A SUPER SINGER AND PLAYER DREW COVINGTON ON FIDDLE AND CHARLIE WHITTON ON STEEL THESE GUYS AND THE TIME JUMPERS ARE MY FAVORITE BANDS IN NVILLE
BASS PLAYER, LOVE A RAY PRICE SONG