My kind of evening.

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Matt Butner

My kind of evening.

Post by Matt Butner »

This is about the best kind of evening for me. Laid back nice and easy enjoying the steel, good coffee, and a cigar. Thought i would share this and see what the fellow forumites would call their best evening.

On a side note, many of you have talked about how wearing different shoes effects your playing. Well tonight i put the old cowboy boots on and loved the way they felt while playing; however, it changes the height dramatically for me. I have already put 1" rod extenders so i can fit under the contraption but looks like if i want to wear the boots i will have to add another inch. Being tall is not steel guitar friendly.
Curt Trisko

Post by Curt Trisko »

Very, very nice. That's the way to live.
Clete Ritta

Don't smoke, but sure love coffee and steel guitars.

Post by Clete Ritta »

I was at Mickey Adams home a while back, and he asked if I wanted to try out the new Mullen G2. Its standard height and I just could not get my leg under the vertical lever! Frustrating…:cry::x:lol:
Matt Butner wrote:...put 1" rod extenders so i can fit under the contraption but looks like if i want to wear the boots i will have to add another inch...
At 6'4", I have the same issue. I wear ropers that are similar to cowboy boots but have a much lower heel. A pleasant evening would be similar to your description (sans tobacco) and a steel that fits. :P
Matt Butner

Post by Matt Butner »

I have to say that it was a good evening up until i cleaned the coffee press and my thumb went through the glass, sliced the thumb, it hurts to bend it, wow looks like i just spoke to soon lol. Now i can't even wear my thumb pick.

Wow i bet you do have some issues being 6'4". I have seen so many steels at standard height that mine looks like its on stilts haha.
Roual Ranes

Post by Roual Ranes »

Matt,
There is the other end of the spectrum with guys like me with a 29" inseam.............
Daniel Policarpo

Post by Daniel Policarpo »

That's a drag about your thumb, Matt! At least you didn't slice anything more harmful. I buddy of mine was working on a model for an architecture project with a super sharp blade, went through his finger a good ways and his finger was stuck in a bent position. He'd pull it up straight and let it go, and it would immediately go into the bend. He had to get some attention on that one.

Being tall is a little bit of a problem. I prefer playing in cowboy boots, too. Love that pivot action working from the heel, but I can't get my right leg over the volume pedal without taking the boot off that foot. So I play with one boot on and give the other one a place of honor by my MXR Micro Amp. Maybe I ought to move it somewhere more visible, and put a couple dollars in there to prime the path for tips?
Anyway, that's a beautiful Williams you have there!
Take care,
Dan
Li'l Izzy for Guvner
Matt Butner

Post by Matt Butner »

Hey Daniel, I have that same issue with the volume pedal. I can't use the right knee levers at all when wearing boots. I have been wondering if a low profile vp would help with that issue. Thanks for compliment on the guitar, I am really enjoying it. Oh and luckily the cut is not bad, just sore and in a bad place.
Alvin Douglas

Post by Alvin Douglas »

I'm 6'1" and have the same issues. I am wearing Clarks All Stars. Good feel for the pedals and not much height added. However, since the addition of a volume pedal, I am going to need to lift the guitar at least an inch. My guitar is set up in the garage. Here's my view when I practice.
Fender American Deluxe Telecaster, Gibson Les Paul Standard, Quilter MicroPro 8.
Clete Ritta

Post by Clete Ritta »

Matt Butner wrote:...low profile vp would help...
Even with lower roper style boots, I still opted for a Hilton low-profile pedal for maximum clearance. It sounds great, is super quiet and fits perfect!