Beginner

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Mike Burch

Beginner

Post by Mike Burch »

I've reached my mid-life crisis and instead of fast cars, fast motorcycles or faster women, I've opt for learning an instrument. I've always loved the sound of a steel guitar. Anyway, I've been hunting around for a good model lap steel to learn on. I've come across two, a Dickerson (with hard case)and a Magatone. Similar to the pictures. I'm wanting to know more about these and if either would be a good beginners model. When I say beginner, I've never played an instrument before. :-) Thanks!

Nakos Marker

Post by Nakos Marker »

Last edited by Nakos Marker on 11 Aug 2020 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don McGregor

Post by Don McGregor »

I'd go with the Magnatone, as i have had great experiences with them in the past, though I've heard good things about Dickerson's, too. So far, I haven't been impressed with any of the lower priced new lap steels imports.
A vintage instrument will hold its value better, and hopefully speak to you with echoes of its past. If you are attuned to it, an older instrument can have a certain Mojo that the newer ones haven't yet earned. Especially with my older instruments, I feel like they are my teacher, if only I learn to listen.
Plug them up and see what they sound like, maybe in the hands of someone who can play them, or just you plunking on them. Maybe one will speak to you louder, clearer, or sweeter than the rest.
Jim Williams

Post by Jim Williams »

Either of the two you mention if in good condition should be fine instruments. If you wanted to go with a new low priced one, the Rondo mentioned would be hard to beat for anything near the price. I have an SX-1 and it is my primary steel. Joe Morrell has a "pro" model 8 string available on Ebay for $299 that might also be a good prospect if you wanted to go ahead and start with an 8 stringer. The pro model has a different pickup than their previous one, which used a "lipstick" style pickup that I've heard a lot of bad comments about.
GFI SM10 3/4, 1937 Gibson EH-150, 2 - Rondo SX Lap Steels and a Guyatone 6 String C6. Peavey 400 and a Roland 40 Amps. Behringer Reverb Pedal.
Mike Burch

Post by Mike Burch »

Thank you for the replies! :)
Mark Roeder

Post by Mark Roeder »

I've got that same Magnatone, it is fun to play.
Paul Bigsby had a hand in its design. He is someone that pops up in the history of steel guitar makers.
www.deluxe34.com lap steel stands, Clinesmith, Gibson Console Grande, Northwesterns, The Best Westerns
https://www.facebook.com/TheBestWesterns
John Limbach

Post by John Limbach »

Jim Williams wrote: Joe Morrell has a "pro" model 8 string available on Ebay for $299 that might also be a good prospect if you wanted to go ahead and start with an 8 stringer. The pro model has a different pickup than their previous one, which used a "lipstick" style pickup that I've heard a lot of bad comments about.
I bought a Morrell 8-string as my first instrument when I started. My unreserved advice is "Don't Do It!". I have a couple of Guyatone's that sound reasonably good for the very little money I spent on them.
Stefan Robertson

Post by Stefan Robertson »

Save your money and get 8 strings at least.
Jack Aldrich

Post by Jack Aldrich »

Stefan Robertson wrote:Save your money and get 8 strings at least.
It doesn't matter, IMHO. He'll play the 6 for a while, and, if he gets the "GAS", he'll buy an 8.
- Jack (not John).
Jack Aldrich
Carter & ShoBud D10's
D8 & T8 Stringmaster
Rickenbacher B6
3 Resonator guitars
Asher Alan Akaka Special SN 6
Canopus D8
Joe Snow

Post by Joe Snow »

I too have a Magnatone that looks just like the one in the pic. It's a nice steel.
Mike Burch

Post by Mike Burch »

Thanks everyone for the advice. I really appreciate it.
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

I recently got an old Magnatone and it's a great playing and sounding steel. There's something about a vintage ax that's more inspiring to many people than a cheap import.

I'd recommend starting with six strings. You can always go to eight strings later.
Steel Guitar Books! Website: www.volkmediabooks.com
Nate Hofer

Post by Nate Hofer »

I'd also say a six stringer is fine. Plenty of material there to get going! BTW, I have a similar Magnatone 6 that I think is great for the value.
Nate Hofer
Woodshed Steel (A practice blog)
Steel Geek Apparel