Steelers and in ear monitors

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Dyke Corson

Post by Dyke Corson »

I've been doing the IEM thing with my main band for about 7 years. We have the Aviom system, but I also use a little Rolls 4 ch stereo mixer, bringing in my Pod XT Pro in stereo in one channel for steel, my Pod XT Live stereo in another for 6 string, then I bring Aviom mixed in stereo in on another channel so this way I can do a stereo "more me" for both my steel and lead and the band at my fingertips. We used to put a large diaphragm condenser to pick up ambient sound and crowd response, but kept adding members and ran out of channels. We rarely touch the Avioms except when we have guests. I use the Westone molded 3-ways. I still do quite a few pickup gigs with amps, but am always chasing the sound I get with the IEMs. Playing with amps and moving air is still nice when you have a quiet drummer and low stage volume, but more often than not the pick up gigs are dynamic nightmares! I love the IEMs.
Jonathan Cullifer

Post by Jonathan Cullifer »

I use them occasionally, but don't own any. Also, when I mix for in-ears, I have to listen to each mix through headphones to dial it in because the adjustments required to balance in-ear mixes are much finer than they are for wedges. That said, eliminating wedge monitors does wonders for feedback and stage volume (at my church, we mike all amps backstage).
Ruth Iseli-Dahler

Post by Ruth Iseli-Dahler »

I hope I did not overlook something in this threat: I am wondering, what Pedal Steel Players prefer on ear plugs: there are earplugs on the market for Drummers, Bass Players, vocalists........
What would you recommend for Pedal Steel Players?
I messed around with a Shure PSM 600 and although the Sound is not as nice as real Stage Sound, it really helped a lot to hear my Steel and so play clean. I am planning on replacing the plugs and am interessted to hear what product do you prefer and why
Mullen Pre-RP D10, Emmons D10, Mullen G2 SD10, Dobros
Mitchell Smithey

Post by Mitchell Smithey »

When I don't have an in ear mix handy I take a little zoom pocket recorder and plug my ears in the monitor out. Instant down and dirty in ear mix. I can't take loud stage volume anymore.
Mitchell Smithey

Post by Mitchell Smithey »

When I don't have an in ear mix handy I take a little zoom pocket recorder and plug my ears in the monitor out. Instant down and dirty in ear mix. I can't take loud stage volume anymore.
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

reconsidering all this, i think it's a woosey fad...
not necessary if you are playing with other pro musicians.

then again, i won't wear a bicycle helmet either...after 60 years of riding a bike without one.