New Asher-Akaka lap steel

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Andy Volk

New Asher-Akaka lap steel

Post by Andy Volk »

Bill Asher is collaborating with master Hawaiian steeler Alan Akaka on a new signature model. Here's a sneak peak ...

Steel Guitar Books! Website: www.volkmediabooks.com
Ron Whitfield

Post by Ron Whitfield »

Let's hope the thickness seen in the pic remains for most part on the end model.
Rick Barnhart

Post by Rick Barnhart »

Should be tasty...an 8 string Asher :) awesome
Clinesmith consoles D-8/6 5 pedal, D-8 3 pedal & A25 Frypan, Pettingill Teardrop, & P8 Deluxe.
Bill Asher

Koa, Ebony, and Mahogany oh my, this is going to be superb!

Post by Bill Asher »

Don Griffiths

Post by Don Griffiths »

I was quite impressed with the one Cindy Cashdollar plays.
Shobud Pro1,BMI U12, Santa Cruz F, PRS Standard, Fender Twin Reverb, ‘53 000-28
Tom Pettingill

Post by Tom Pettingill »

Nice :D
George Piburn

Great Master Series Builds - Fantastic!

Post by George Piburn »

What a Great Boost to Master Class Steel Guitars - Players - and the Art Form in General.
Both the Builder and Endorser are doing so much to extend the life span of Steel Guitar in the Hawaiian Tradition -- Bravo ! :D
Mitch Druckman

Post by Mitch Druckman »

I've always associated Asher electric steels with the blues and rock communities. I can't wait to hear his take on a Hawaiian guitar.

Have you decided on a pickup?
Jerome Hawkes

Post by Jerome Hawkes »

wow - this is going to be sweet. i too, have associated his electo hawaiian models with more of the slide guitar crowd (i never see anyone play hawaiian on them) - its nice to see he and alan design this.
i figured his guitars were cnc - nice to know how handmade they really are in this age.
'65 Sho-Bud D-10 Permanent • '54 Fender Dual-8 • Clinesmith T-8 • '38 Ric Bakelite • '92 Emmons D-10 Legrande II
Bill Asher

Pickup choice.

Post by Bill Asher »

After much discussion with Alan and learning more about the desired tone for Hawaiian steel guitar music we agreed the best option would be a low impedance EMG pickup system. This will deliver lots of clean headroom, deep low end response, and a quiet studio quality no-noise signal. This pickup will have a push-pull pot for two different output levels and will sound great going into your amp of choice, or direct into a PA or recording console.

Here are some more technical specs:

If you're using a Low-B or C String there's no sense in even trying a passive pickup.The EMG 707TW Active Pickup delivers the clearest, fattest low end you've ever felt from a guitar pickup. The 707 is Alnico Loaded and the coils are summed separately keeping the DC resistance down and doubling the low end frequency response. Translated...that means the low frequency response is more natural sounding. Full, but not muddy. In addition, the dual-coil section has a wide aperture for plenty of string sampling.

The resonance frequency of the dual-coil mode is 2300 Hz. In the single-coil mode, the pickup resonance switches up to 3900 Hz and operates in a "stack" mode truly resembling a single coil pickup, not a "tapped" humbucker. Still loaded with Alnico, the single coil sound is as pure as it comes. Dual internal preamps (one tuned for single-coil mode and the other for dual-coil mode) give the 707TW two distinct sounds for two pickups in one, while delivering EMG's well-known low-noise performance in both modes.
Dave Broyles

Post by Dave Broyles »

I use active EMGs in my steels as well. I love them. Great frequency response low to high, no noise. They respond well to dynamics, never losing fullness when playing quiet or sound raspy when digging in. Not a vintage type sound but good for rock, country and swing. I don't play Hawaiian style, but would imagine they'd sound great for that.

David
Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

EMG, one of our outstanding local companies here in Santa Rosa!
Mark
Jack Aldrich

Post by Jack Aldrich »

my friend, Puloku Hayes, took me to Bill's studio last November. He is a great guy, and a master craftsman. I played several of his steels (he's most famous for the electric Weisenborn's he makes for Ben Harper). It is going to be a beautiful instrument. Alan (my friend and kumu mele) went there with Puloko, and the rest is history. I don't know if I can pop for the $3800, but I want one!
Jack Aldrich
Carter & ShoBud D10's
D8 & T8 Stringmaster
Rickenbacher B6
3 Resonator guitars
Asher Alan Akaka Special SN 6
Canopus D8
Ron Whitfield

Post by Ron Whitfield »

John Aldrich wrote:I don't know if I can pop for the $3800!
OOPS! Guess I'll be watching for the Chinese knockoff and pop in one of my lonely Ric shoes.
Steve Branscom

Post by Steve Branscom »

I see the top's already on. Is it chambered like the BH and Electro Hawaiian models?
Steve
Liz Williams

Post by Liz Williams »

Given how thick it is, it's either chambered, or it comes with a dedicated roadie. Perhaps these will be custom options ;-)

Beautiful-looking. I can't wait to hear it.
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

Everything Bill builds is made with the highest craftsmanship and attention to detail. I miss my Asher Electro-Hawaiian and I think even those pickups could give a nice Hawaiian sound.

http://www.gettyimages.be/music/downloa ... -long-aiff

So just imagine this new guitar, is being designed especially for those sounds. Gonna be something great!
Steel Guitar Books! Website: www.volkmediabooks.com
Bill Asher

Post by Bill Asher »

The neck and body thickness will be the same as my other lap steels at 1 3/4". It will have my cylindrical tone chambers, and a carbon fiber rod inlaid through the neck. These should have a finished weight of 7lbs, so no need for a weight-lifting roadie :D
Bill Asher

Pricing

Post by Bill Asher »

Ron Whitfield wrote:
John Aldrich wrote:I don't know if I can pop for the $3800!
OOPS! Guess I'll be watching for the Chinese knockoff and pop in one of my lonely Ric shoes.
We realized the 50 limited edition Master Built models with all the fine details and inlay would be at a price not everyone could afford.
So Alan does want to have his signature 8-String available in a student model as well. I will be trying to make these in my US shop at the right price before we go overseas. News on this by fall 2014.

Thanks for every ones interest and feedback. The first 12 of 50 are already sold!
Liz Williams

Post by Liz Williams »

Curses! There goes my chance to acquire a roadie. :lol:

Congratulations on the early sales, Bill. I'm sure I won't be the only one waiting eagerly for the student model.
Bill Asher

Post by Bill Asher »

John Aldrich wrote:
I don't know if I can pop for the $3800!
John, the list price is $3180, not $3800. And pre-orders get 10% off, which brings the price to $2862.

We divide that into 3 payments over the build time, so it really can be manageable! :)
Ron Whitfield

Re: Pricing

Post by Ron Whitfield »

Bill Asher wrote:Alan does want to have his signature 8-String available in a student model as well. I will be trying to make these in my US shop at the right price before we go overseas. News on this by fall 2014.
The first 12 of 50 are already sold!
Thanx for being available for comment, Bill, this is sounding better, any chance yet of hearing what the differences beyond cosmetics will be?
Wow, 12 out already, nice to finally see a recovering National economy in some households!
Bill Asher

more prototype build pics

Post by Bill Asher »

Here is the new slotted headstock design.
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

When you look at all the workmanship, care, quality and time that goes into these instruments and you see that it is made by a builder in his own shop, it makes it worth every penny of the money spent.
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

agreed.......