Robert Randolph-"Voodoo Child"

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Chris Templeton

Robert Randolph-"Voodoo Child"

Post by Chris Templeton »

Robert playing a blazing version of Hendrix's "Voodoo Child". Recorded in Jackson, Mississppi in 2002:
http://picosong.com/YtiW/
Excel 3/4 Pedal With An 8 String Hawaiian Neck, Tapper (10 string with a raised fretboard to fret with fingers), Single neck Fessenden 3/5
John Scanlon

Post by John Scanlon »

Glad to see a steel post referencing my hometown. RR is amazing. Besides his own playing, he's done quite a bit for introducing other House of God players to the country/trad pickers, as well as the rest of the public.
Chris Templeton

You have a beautiful spot, John
Excel 3/4 Pedal With An 8 String Hawaiian Neck, Tapper (10 string with a raised fretboard to fret with fingers), Single neck Fessenden 3/5
John Scanlon

Post by John Scanlon »

Think this was either at Hal & Mal's (which is my guess) or George Street. This was around the time he first popped up on my radar. I think I was living in Germany at the time - otherwise, I hope I would have been there.
Chris Templeton

Hal & Mal's
Cory Dolinsky

Post by Cory Dolinsky »

Thanks for posting that Chris. We saw him play last weekend at the ridge field playhouse in ct. My wife surprised me with 2nd row seats. What a great player, very inspiring. Do you have any clips of him doing any stevie wonder tunes. I used to have a great version of isn't she lovely and can't seem to find it.

Thanks
Cory

By the way I love your c.d. Great playing
Chris Templeton

I haven't heard a recent show of his, but most often, when he played other people's songs, it would be a brief section in one of his songs and he wouldn't play the whole song. I seem to remember that Stevie Wonder song as being one of them. I haven't listened to many of the recordings I have, but if I stumble on that song, I will post it, Cory.
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

you know...i'd just like to state that my house of god is the seat behind my steel. it doesn't owe allegiance to any race, color or nationality or limited style of music.
Craig Schwartz

Post by Craig Schwartz »

Ok , I`m off to church now to pray for Chris.
SO MANY LURES, SO LITTLE TIME....
Sid Hudson

Post by Sid Hudson »

Robert will be in Hopewell Va on March 13th which is where our business is located.

Hopewell only has a population of 22000 Folks. I hope to get to see him.
Bill Duncan

Post by Bill Duncan »

Chris, that's a good place. Some of my most inspiring thoughts originate while in the seat behind my steel.
You can observe a lot just by looking
Chris Templeton

Whether sitting or standing, the steel is a great place to find inspiration, especially when the pixels on a screen just don't cut cut it.