WE lost Wayne Tyler this morning.... God Speed Wayne

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Bo Borland

WE lost Wayne Tyler this morning.... God Speed Wayne

Post by Bo Borland »

It is with a very heavy heart and sadness that I pass this sad news along to the PSG community.

For those of us who knew Wayne, there was not a finer man or a better pal who always had a new steel to let you try out, and who passed along his steel knowledge to anyone who asked.

A player since the 50's, he had a long musical career playing pedal steel for many stars that came through this area.

Burdened lately with a lot of health issues that appear, couldn't be identified easily, Wayne passed peacefully early this morning surrounded by his immediate family.

I spoke to Wayne last Wednesday evening, he was feeling better, mentioned that his son had set up his steel in the back room and he was enjoying playing and learning again.

I'm definitely going to miss spending time with my friend and offer my condolences to his family.
Joe Rouse

Wayne

Post by Joe Rouse »

I visited with Wayne a few times several years ago VIA phone and e-mail. A good man and very helpful. He's playing for the Lord now...God Bless his family...jr
bruce fischer

Post by bruce fischer »

prayers for all the family & friends.

His Journey’s
Just begun

Don’t think of him as gone away-
His journey’s just begun;
Life holds so many facets-
This earth is only one.
Just think of him as resting
From the sorrows and the tears
In a place of warmth and comfort
Where there are no days and
tears.
Think how he must be wishing
That we could know today,
How nothing but our sadness
Can really pass away.
And think of him as living
In the hearts of those he touched…
For nothing loved is ever lost-
And he was loved so much.
sho-bud super pro II, blue darlin' VI
Ben Lawson

Post by Ben Lawson »

Thank you Bo. I met Wayne many years ago and retoucheched with him afew years back. He was a great steel player and a genuinely nice guy. He will be missed.
Ray Nash

Post by Ray Nash »

Sorry to hear we lost such a good PSG player and also a good friend. Wayne loved to share his music knowledge with everyone. Talked to a mutual friend Wayne and I shared today, PSG Builder George Sell and he was very saddened that Wayne passed, George is the only person that Wayne would let work on his steel if needed.

Bo when you get any info on arrangements would you please pass that on to the PSG community.
Craig Baker

Good Friend

Post by Craig Baker »

So sorry to hear this. Strange. . . I only ever met Wayne once back in the late 60s. He was playing at a place called Tunick's near Trevose, PA. When I walked in and heard him playing, I said to myself: "Hey, this guy's good", and he was good. He was playing a black Emmons and he just had that Weldon Myrick / Hal Rugg sound that we've all chased. We "clicked" immediately. After that one meeting, I never saw him again, but like Ben, we re-connected on the phone about 2 or 3 years ago and somehow, we were good friends. Didn't know his family, but I know the Lord will comfort them.

Respectfully,
Craig Baker
Tommy Wayne

Wayne Tyler

Post by Tommy Wayne »

Wayne was a contemporary of Buddy Emmons. Known to have drilled Stringmaster tuner pans in the 50's to rig homemade pedal changes and who, like all the Pro players of the day, had great hands capable of deftly maneuvering bar slants and expressing dynamics with or without a volume pedal. A true musician and a kind and decent man, Wayne will be missed by all who knew and loved him...

Wayne was also my teacher and for that I will be always be grateful!
Tommy
Bryan Hall

Wayne Tyler

Post by Bryan Hall »

Very Sad,Wayne was a great player and a very nice Man
My condolences to his family :cry:
Fred Anderson

Wayne was a fine man

Post by Fred Anderson »

I am so sorry for the loss of Wayne. I bought a steel from him two years ago and he taught me a lot about steel. I enjoyed talking to him over the phone as he was a world of knowledge. He was a fine person and I will miss his friendship. God speed old friend.
HONKYTONK UNIVERSITY GRADUATE