Supro Console 8 for sale

Pedal, lap, Hawaiian, resonator ... anything played with a bar
Alexander Gourlay

Supro Console 8 for sale

Post by Alexander Gourlay »

Selling 1959 Supro 8-string console with telescoping legs -- serial # T17994. A classic in great shape, with the following exceptions: corner chip on the bass end of the nut that does not affect stability of bottom string or playability; 1" cracks on the thumbscrew slots on each side of the heavy plastic pickup cover; legs have scratches and corrosion; modern black replacement of white rubber foot on one leg; lost wingbolt on same leg replaced with new knurled knob. Pots and tone cutout switch are all clean and quiet. This model is strings-over-pickup with individually adjustable polepieces. The original case is included but it is in terrible shape, and would need extensive work before it could be used for anything but storing the steel. $575 + $50 shipping to lower 48, or pick up locally in Providence, RI.

Alexander Gourlay

Price reduced for Supro 8

How about $500 + $50 shipping?
Alexander Gourlay

Supro Console 8 reduced again

New price is $450 + $50 shipping to lower 48. PayPal only.

The described defects are in the interest of full disclosure-- I gather the steel was played extensively by the first owner as a lap steel while the legs and case languished in the basement. Thus the steel is very clean and the legs are presentable (all three are fully adjustable), but the wooden case didn't fare as well.
Paul Arntson

Post by Paul Arntson »

This is a great guitar for a good price. I have one and I love it! Plus I paid a lot more than this!
Jim Wilmoth

Post by Jim Wilmoth »

yes, I have one as well and like it.
Drew Howard

Post by Drew Howard »

Alexander,

She's sweet!

How high/long do the legs extend to?

thanks,
Drew
Alexander Gourlay

News about the legs

She is indeed sweet -- thanks for your interest and to Jim and Paul for the endorsements of this style of Supro. The legs extend to 45", which would easily allow Ray Benson to play it standing up if he were so inclined. Even when the legs are fully extended the playing deck is very stable, and because the legs were little used, the sockets are firmly set into the dense wood of the guitar body; there is no slop at all, though you can move the guitar if you try.

Some bad news -- In the process of checking something else about the legs I'm afraid I broke the wing off one the wing-bolts for setting the length. Turned out it was just a piece of flat metal soldered to a slotted screw. So I saved the screw and the wing, removed the one original wingbolt that survived, and replaced both with knurled knobs matching the one described above. The screw section on these knobs is a bit longer than you need, but they work great and look fine. I saved the intact wing-bolt, the wing and screw, and the third screw with no wing.

And some good news -- In the process of working on the knobs I realized that much of what I called corrosion was actually staining from the case lining. After a cleaning, the outer tubes are still a bit dull, while the chrome on the inner tubes is bright. There are a few small rust spots, but I would no longer call them corroded. More pictures on request.
Asa Brosius

Post by Asa Brosius »

I own the national version of this guitar- looks identical,similar year, and I like it more than my 55 stringmaster. Best boo-wah tone control i've ever heard. Great price
Alexander Gourlay

More pictures

Some more pictures. The pickup cover shot shows the cracks extending from the brass screws that hold it on. The picture including the case is somewhat flattering, in that it looks like the case might be ok, but it probably isn't.
Alexander Gourlay

Sold

Guitar sold, donation made. Thanks to all who helped with this sale, and thanks to all who made offers.