Gear Suggestions/Recommendations

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ryan Hulin

Gear Suggestions/Recommendations

Post by Ryan Hulin »

I posted this on the non pedal page but I figured I'd post it here as well as this section of the forum may be more appropriate.

Hey all if you've read my post earlier most of ya'll know I'm new and I'm needing suggestions for good gear for my lap steel as it didn't come with any legs or a volume pedal and I'm playing with a Line 6 Spyder Jam which is a modeling amp and a few of the players on the forum said it isn't a good amp for playing steel at all so any amp suggestions would be helpful, I'm wanting to get the classic Don Helms sound as he is a player I look up to and want to sound like.
Edward Rhea

Post by Edward Rhea »

Where @ in Oklahoma Ryan?
“TONESNOB”
Ryan Hulin

Post by Ryan Hulin »

The central part of the state Tecumseh to be exact but I work in Oklahoma City.
Edward Rhea

Post by Edward Rhea »

I see...well you've got a great influence in Don Helms! I've been trying to play PSG about 10 months. There's got to be someone in OK that can show/help you. Wish I could, but I wouldn't even know where to begin to really help out. :( Although, there is a steeler in Enid named Jack Ritter. He's been very helpful and pleasant towards me. He's a member of the forum, plays pedal steel very well and has real roots as a lap steel player. It'd be worth your time to make contact with him. In the mean time, find some folks to jam with that enjoy playing traditional country music. A great deal of our communities have small get togethers, senior centers and community centers. There's almost always pickers that can show/advise you with your quest if you're not intimidated.
“TONESNOB”
David Mason

Post by David Mason »

Your amp will, unfortunately, probably be just fine for quite some time. "Unfortunately" because the usual advice that you can't buy your way to tone and talent isn't just doubly true for steel, it's more like factors of 10 and squared roots and stuff. At least steel players always have something to look forward to.... :roll:
Edward Rhea

Post by Edward Rhea »

I'd agree with that, David.
Ryan, try not to focus so much on what your equipment or lack thereof, has to offer. For now it's probably enough for you to achieve some muscle memory, technics and getting familiar with the fretboard. If you'll realistically set goals and commit to "prefect practicing", I really feel you'll gain signature licks and style a little later on. I'm not sure about your own experience as a musician, but the drive seems to be there. If you've got a teacher/mentor or some kind of literature/videos, you'll most likely see progress :)
“TONESNOB”
Bobby Snell

Post by Bobby Snell »

Just looking online at that amp, it seems it might have some good models: Clean and Twang. Don't overdrive the preamp much, maybe a little reverb. Lots of players use a single repeat slap back delay/echo.

It's the one with the 12-inch speaker? It should have enough bass response to sound good. Don't underestimate the value of twisting EQ knobs to explore.

A small keyboard stand or table will free up your legs and foot for using a volume pedal. Volume pedal usage is a useful skill and can affect your tone.

The general forum consensus is that Ernie Ball VP's are not worthy, but I've used them for years and they are readily available and inexpensive.

Good luck, and enjoy!
Stephen Abruzzo

Post by Stephen Abruzzo »

Roland Cube 40XL or 40GX. Very well thought of by most players on the forum.