Customer Service - Live Steel Strings

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Marke Burgstahler

Customer Service - Live Steel Strings

Post by Marke Burgstahler »

At the recommendation of many folks here on the SGF, I tried a set of Live Steel strings. IMHO they sound great.

I sent in my order, and got an email back with a question about my gauge request (I use a .015 for my 2nd and 4th string)- they wanted to double-check that I really wanted (2) .015's, and that it was a full 10 string set I was ordering.

I probably should have made it more clear in the Notes section of my order, but I thought it was really cool that they "caught it" and wanted to double-check.

Nice attention to detail, and good sounding strings. Just wanted to share.
"It Don't Mean A Thing If It Aint' Got That Swing"
Roger Francis

Post by Roger Francis »

I use the 15s in the same places, i go to the individual string section and just pick out how many i want of each, usually 3 sets at a time, they do have great customer service and always get it rite, and i love their strings
Rittenberry SD10, 2 nashville 112s with telonics speaker, behringer EPQ450 power amp, 705 pups, Telonics FP-100, live steel strings, mogami cords, wet reverb
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

Did you get nickle or stainless steel?
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin
Ken Campbell

Post by Ken Campbell »

Live steel and Sid. The real deal. Try his tuning offsets. Outstanding.
Marke Burgstahler

I use nickel. Never tried SS on my Carter, but I do prefer a warmer sound, and would imagine the SS's would be brighter?
Marke Burgstahler

Ken Campbell wrote:Live steel and Sid. The real deal. Try his tuning offsets. Outstanding.
Interesting. I will experiment with them.

I'm lazy - I use the E9 offsets pre-programmed into my Peterson VS-II..

I ended up playing for another two hours last night. REALLY like these strings.
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

Marke Burgstahler wrote:I use nickel. Never tried SS on my Carter, but I do prefer a warmer sound, and would imagine the SS's would be brighter?
You imagine correctly. I have 2 MSA Millenniums, that aside from being different colors, are completely identical, including having the same pickup. A year ago I changed the strings on both, on the same day. I put nickle on one and stainless steel on the other, and compared them.

Just as you imagined, the nickle was warmer, and the SS was brighter.

However the difference is pretty subtle. I could hear it when comparing the two steels side by side, but if I only heard one, I couldn't tell which strings were being used.
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin
David Scheidler

Post by David Scheidler »

On the recommendation of many testimonials, here on the Forum, I decided to go ahead and try a set of the Live nickel strings. Players that I talked to at the SWSGA show said the SS has more of a bite and I prefer a warmer tone. Just ordered a standard nickel set yesterday with two extra thirds - just in case.

I have a Pro I that's way overdue for a string change. Don't know what's on there now, but a few have developed some nasty buzzing. I'm assuming they're just worn out and starting to fatigue at the changer end.

Anyway, I'll report back when I get the new set on. Should be here in a few days.
Gary Cooper

Post by Gary Cooper »

I received my Live Stings today -- outstanding service from The Live Steel Strings Store in Hopewell, VA. I bought nickle. Smooth as silk.
GFI Ultra SD-10; Nashville 112; Hilton pedal, George L Cables; Pearse bar; Live Stings;Walker seat by Billy Knowles.
Tommy White

Post by Tommy White »

I installed a set of nickel Live Steel Strings a few days ago. They feel just right and the sound is what I want to hear on my new Mullen guitars. I'm sold. Just ordered more and Sid was such a kind gentleman to deal with!
Ken Campbell

Yep

Post by Ken Campbell »

Been using Sids stainless, and his tuning offsets. Top shelf.
Gary Cooper

Post by Gary Cooper »

Tommy, I have heard you at the Opry three times in the last 4 months, most recently Sat Jan 25. You have the tone, touch, talent. Excellent sound. The Live Strings are a definite for me.
GFI Ultra SD-10; Nashville 112; Hilton pedal, George L Cables; Pearse bar; Live Stings;Walker seat by Billy Knowles.
David Scheidler

Post by David Scheidler »

Well, the strings arrived last week but I haven't taken the time to put them on yet. I just wanted to mention, in the meantime, that they came packaged with a Sid Hudson CD. I didn't request it, but I guess it may be a bonus item for first time buyers. Nice touch!