JCH D10 - switches/wiring?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bengt Erlandsen

JCH D10 - switches/wiring?

Post by Bengt Erlandsen »

I have a JCH D10 with 3 pushbutton switches and 1 pot-meter between both necks.
It looks factory installed but only the push-button furthest to the right works (changes pickups between E9/C6)
The rest seems to have no function at all because of some rewiring beeing done by a previous owner.
Need to fix the wiring back to the original state, so could someone with a D10 JCH take a quick look underneath and see how the 3 switches and pot is suppeosed to be wired.

Bengt Erlandsen
ZumSteel 7+7 E9ext
JCH D10 8+8
Jeff Peterson

Post by Jeff Peterson »

The circuit has definitely been rewired by someone. The switches should be wired, from left to right...E9/on-off, C6/on-off, and tone circuit in-out. More help if needed..call Jimmie Crawford at (615)824-8938
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

If its a dark blue JCH that came from another steel player in Norway I did the rewiring. One of the buttons does not work anymore and I couldn't find a replacement. Being as I only play one neck at a time I made the functioning button into an a/b switch. I was gojng to put a regular toggle switch in there like the new JCH's but the buttons look much cooler. So anyway don't rewire it without finding a replacement for the broken button. What you will gain by having both buttons is an ability to turn off or on both pickups at the same time.

Oh yea, the other button is a tone control on or off switch. I always bypass those because I find them useless but if I remember right that button doesn't work either.

Bob

BTW: I really miss that steel. It was one of the best made and best sounding instruments I ever owned.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Bob Hoffnar on 06 October 2003 at 09:26 AM.]</p></FONT>
Jimmie Crawford

Post by Jimmie Crawford »

The button switches are not being made anymore, and haven't been for a while. What I can do, is machine a new mounting plate with a single toggle switch. Contact me at jchsteel@juno.com or (615)824-8938.
Dag Wolf

Post by Dag Wolf »

Bob, yes this is your old JCH. I think Bengt is gonna be very happy with it. It`s truly a great sounding steel and better built than most steels.

Dag
Bengt Erlandsen

Post by Bengt Erlandsen »

I havent had time to play it much yet, but I can tell it is a really good guitar and I am very satisfied with it. And it is the one on the picture. Not quite familiar with the C6 neck yet (my first guitar w C6) but I have already found so many interesting things to play that it will not be used as an arm-rest. Only have to do some minor pullrod changes to make it more similar to my ZUM on the E9 side but that looks like a "no problem" job. The way it is designed underneath is great. I have access to a machine-shop at my work-place so I could probably make a new mounting-plate but I will look among my half-finished electronic DIY kits to see if I can't find similar switches. I have seen them somewhere else, if I just could remember.

Thanks to Jeff for the switch/wiring answer.
Thanks to Bob For selling the guitar to Dag.
Thanks to Dag for selling the guitar to me.
And Thanks to Jimmie for making such a nice guitar.

Bengt Erlandsen Image
Proud owner of a JCH D10 8+8