Buddy speed picking practice without an amp

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Buddy Emmons

Post by Buddy Emmons »

If I may shed some light on the recording, it’s one of what I call “chop checking” tapes I used to run once in a while. First of all, if it sounded like Paul, it was supposed to. There was a lick Paul played that I liked, so I played it to check my style of blocking against his pick blocking technique to see if it made a difference in speed or sound, which in this case it didn’t.

There were other spots that featured pedal steel, but many of the licks were played with a tuning I had put on a non-pedal lap top practice guitar Sierra made for me without a pickup. I still have the guitar but the tuning is long gone. I also thank Chris for posting the tape. It was made some time in the early eighties and reminds me of the interest and intensity I had in playing at the time.
Joachim Kettner

Post by Joachim Kettner »

I remember seeing a picture in Steel Guitar Magazine, where Paul played a similar device sitting inside a bus, while on tour with Mel Tillis. The text said it was for right hand practice. Can anybody remember seeing this?
I admitt that I'm a little nervous posting right after Mr. Emmons. :|
Last edited by Joachim Kettner on 24 Jan 2014 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fender Kingman, Sierra Crown D-10, Evans Amplifier, Soup Cube.
Jack Stanton

Post by Jack Stanton »

Buddy,
At a seminar you did for the PSGA in NY you taught a variation of the basic lick in the beginning of the tape. You explained something to the effect that at the time you were thinking about how Paul Franklin came up with his note choices and how much of his speed phrases we based around "close" positions. I have a tape of exactly what you said somewhere. I've been playing that lick to death for 30 years!
I'm guessing it was around 1984 or 85. You were playing the red & black MCI.
Thank you, Chris, for sharing it!
Chris Templeton

Post by Chris Templeton »

You are most welcome, Buddy, and thank you for "shedding".
You are welcome Jack!
Excel 3/4 Pedal With An 8 String Hawaiian Neck, Tapper (10 string with a raised fretboard to fret with fingers), Single neck Fessenden 3/5
Tommy White

Post by Tommy White »

:)
Last edited by Tommy White on 14 May 2014 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff Bradshaw

Post by Jeff Bradshaw »

It is a truely inspiring clip! Im very grateful for opportunity to hear it!
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

Buddy Emmons

Hermitage, TN USA
Posted 24 Jan 2014 8:38 am
If I may shed some light on the recording, it’s one of what I call “chop checking” tapes I used to run once in a while. First of all, if it sounded like Paul, it was supposed to. There was a lick Paul played that I liked, so I played it to check my style of blocking against his pick blocking technique to see if it made a difference in speed or sound, which in this case it didn’t.

There were other spots that featured pedal steel, but many of the licks were played with a tuning I had put on a non-pedal lap top practice guitar Sierra made for me without a pickup. I still have the guitar but the tuning is long gone. I also thank Chris for posting the tape. It was made some time in the early eighties and reminds me of the interest and intensity I had in playing at the time.
Although many of you might disagree, please pardon me now if I feel at least partially vindicated..
Chris Templeton

Tommy, you are welcome.
Excel 3/4 Pedal With An 8 String Hawaiian Neck, Tapper (10 string with a raised fretboard to fret with fingers), Single neck Fessenden 3/5
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

It all goes to show how even the greatest have to work things out and practise from time to time.
Mark Wayne

Post by Mark Wayne »

Incredible playing, Buddy. Great to know that there are still hidden treasures out there :)
Mark Wayne Krutke
****markwayne.biz****
Russ Wever

Post by Russ Wever »

Mike Neer wrote:. . . it gives a good sense of how hard
he picks and how he varies that . . .
Not that Buddy doesn't pick hard nor varies it,
but keep in mind that the recorder is obviously
using it's built-in compression/gain circuitry,
which may give 'the illusion' that he's picking
harder than the recording makes it seem.
It's evident by noticing how the 'ongoing
room noise' level fluctuates depending on
what's coming from the steel.
~Rw
Jerome Hawkes

Post by Jerome Hawkes »

I remember someone (Sid Hudson maybe) telling me one night that they were talking to one of Buddys old roomates when Buddy lived in Detroit - and that they would walk by his closed bedroom door at 3am and you could hear him playing clear as could be - no amp - just him woodsheding on steel. this was pre-pedal steel era.
'65 Sho-Bud D-10 Permanent • '54 Fender Dual-8 • Clinesmith T-8 • '38 Ric Bakelite • '92 Emmons D-10 Legrande II
Chris Templeton

There is not much time for "digging in" with that kind of speed.
Bob Kagy

Post by Bob Kagy »

Fantastic picking.

For Joachim Kettner: I saw the same picture in the same magazine. As I recall the magazine called it a practice board. There were some nice ones for sale in that era.
Dale Rottacker

Post by Dale Rottacker »

Awesome privilage to hear...Thanks Buddy, and thanks Chris for posting this!!
Dale Rottacker, Steelinatune™
*2021 MSA Legend, "Jolly Rancher" D10 10x9
*2021 Rittenberry, "The Concord" D10 9x9
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com
Chris Templeton

√ no problem, I hope to have some more archive treats for the forum.
Steve Matlock

Post by Steve Matlock »

Thanks Chris and Buddy for sharing! I've really enjoyed it. Buddy' you were one of the main reasons I got hooked on steel in the early 80's after attending a live show at the Sip n Nip near Irving, Tx. To this day I turn to your work for inspiration! Still love playing. Great chops by the way! Thanks for paving the way!
scott murray

Post by scott murray »

man i love it here :)
1965 Emmons S-10, 3x5 • Emmons LLIII D-10, 10x12 • JCH D-10, 10x12 • Beard MA-8 • Oahu Tonemaster
Clete Ritta

Post by Clete Ritta »

Thank you Buddy, for shedding light on your shedding…or shredding I should say. :)
Thanks for posting that tape Chris! :D

I was watching this vid of Travis Toy at 15, covering Pauls version of Thinks He's A Train. I just can't get it, but its great practice anyways. When I first heard this I said, "Thats it!"

I keep coming back to this again and again. It is so inspiring, chock full of golden riff nuggets till the end! I could listen to Buddy picking unplugged all day. ;)
Chris Templeton

YW, Buddy's sure rippin'!
Marty Broussard

Post by Marty Broussard »

Joachim Kettner I remember the pic of Paul with the practice board. I still have the magazine that contains it.
"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin
Larry Bressington

Post by Larry Bressington »

That was amazing, I've never heard a steel played like that before, beyond hot, can you imagine that cracking through a toasty amp. Thanks Chris, and you Sir Buddy Emmons we all love you.
A.K.A Chappy.
Chris Brooks

Post by Chris Brooks »

What Scott said! Wonderful to have The Greats chime in.

And thanks, Chris in Vermont! Hope you are feeling well.

Chris #3
MIchael Bean

Post by MIchael Bean »

Oh boy, I can't wait to start practicing tonight! I got my work cut out for me for sure!!
Ernie Renn

Post by Ernie Renn »

I asked Buddy if he though that him practicing without an amp pushed him to playing each string a little harder?

To which he replied: "No; that's a natural response I have when trying to make the notes come out of the amp shaking their fist at the listener."

8)
My best,
Ernie
www.BuddyEmmons.com