What's your favorite PSG phrase/riff/fill?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Daniel Policarpo

Post by Daniel Policarpo »

Lately I've been rediscovering the magic of Russ Hicks. Here he is taking a turn on one of Ween's 12 Golden Country Greats, "I'm Holding You". What he does in the beginning and throughout is so simple and melodic, and that tone...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YyBZXSUGe8

Li'l Izzy for Guvner
Roger Kelly

Post by Roger Kelly »

Tom Brumley's turn around on "Together Again".
J.D. Maness' turn around on "Misty".
Bobby Garrett's turn around on "Oklahoma Hills"
Bobby Garrett on "Rose City Chimes".
Just to name a very few. ;-)

Almost forgot the "God Father" of Pedal Steel,
Bud Isaacs, whose Take Off and Turn Around on "Slowly" sent every steel player in Nashville to the "Wood Shed" trying to learn to play like Bud.

The rest is history.

The Waltz You Saved For Me, Bud's Bounce and Steelin' Home just to name a few, are still played 60
years later.
Last edited by Roger Kelly on 22 Jan 2014 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark van Allen

Post by Mark van Allen »

Really cool thread. It's cool to hear what turned everyone's head.

For me it would have to be way BE moves from the G to G minor in the verse to his version of Wichita Lineman, sliding back two frets on strings 5 & 6 and adding A & B pedals. So snaky, cool, and ... backward.
That's the tune and the lick that FORCED me to buy a steel the same day I first heard it. Thanks eternally, Buddy.
Stop by the Steel Store at: www.markvanallen.com
www.musicfarmstudio.com
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5Bc2xi-_rU

At 1:26 right at the chorus Pete Drake plays the most perfect lick ever. Right after "stand by your man" that 3 to 4 chord half step thing. The most simple, obvious and effective musical move possible. Its like Bruce Lee's one inch punch.

Pete Drake's steel part in Dylan's "Lay Lady Lay" is way more than a lick too.

If I could only listen to one pedal steel thing over and over again forever it would be "Blue Jade" from the black album by Buddy Emmons. I feel like I am ready to die happy every time I hear it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFXp2irVSkQ
Bob
Steve Hinson

Post by Steve Hinson »

Boy,Pete gets overlooked as far as little licks like that...he was right in there,making sure we still had a gig 40 or 50 years later,wasn't he?
Andrew Gallus

Post by Andrew Gallus »

Buddy Emmons' steel in Steve Young's version of "Lonesome, Onry and Mean" off "Renegade Picker"

Red Rhodes on Willis Allen Ramsey's "Goodbye To Old Missoula"

Bobby Black's solo on "Truck Drivin' Man" from Commander Cody's "We've Got A Live One Here"
Ron Deardorff

Post by Ron Deardorff »

I was trying to think of the best Tommy Detamore solo on Doug Sahm's "The Return of Wayne Douglas", then I realized that practically every track just had me goin' "OHHH YEAHHHHH!!!" Those rides just burn in my brain with their unbelievable steelness.
Rains D-10 8x5 w/705's, Fractal Axe-FX w/ Lemay preamp, L'il Izzy, Telonics vol ped, Black Box, Van-Amps spring 'verb, and assorted other goodies
Clyde Mattocks

Post by Clyde Mattocks »

Ralph Mooney's intro and solo on Buck's "Under Your Spell Again". Pure hillbilly attitude!
LeGrande II, Nash. 112, Harlow Dobro
Bo Legg

Post by Bo Legg »

Talk about commercial fill licks on PSG here they are, just about everybody copied these. You gotta listen to the whole song. The solo is short and vanilla but the rest you gotta learn.
Click Here
P.S. It's on one of Jeff's early tabs!
Alan Bidmade

Post by Alan Bidmade »

Oooeee!! Finally, someone agrees with me that Red Rhodes deserves a mention in despatches when discussing some of the best psg playing of all time. Agree with everyone's assessment of BE, but Red Rhodes has to be up there with the best, if only for his unique, innovative style.
If you haven't heard him, invest your $,£ or Es in a copy of Mike Nesmith's 'And The Hits Just Keep On Coming' and fasten your seat belt! Incredible.
Ben-Rom #017 'Lorelei', Guild D25, Epiphone 'Joe Pass', Roland 40XL, Hilton VP

First name Alan, but known as Nick
Steve Hinson

Post by Steve Hinson »

Red Rhodes...a legend...electronics genius...you can tell it's him immediately.
Jim Cooley

Post by Jim Cooley »

I'll put in a plug for Jaydee Maness on Desert Rose Band's "Hello Trouble", and Randy Reinhard's work on Frenchy Burke's "Big Mamou."
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

I'm with Mark Van Allen on this - and Wichita Lineman turned my head completely. Prior to that, most pedal steel I'd heard had been distinctly country-flavoured and, as I wasn't very fond of the genre, didn't do much for me.

I just loved that song, though - Glen's version, then Ray Charles' take on it. Buddy's on Ray's record, of course, and to hear pedal steel weave its way seemingly effortlessly through those changes just blew me away. I HAD to have a steel after I heard that!

Then, of course, there's that fabulous descending line Emmons plays on Ray's 'I Feel So Bad' over the '5' and '4' chords in his solo!!!! The whole break is terrific and full of tension but he ends it by absolutely nailing that lick.
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Here's a couple of my faves from Tubb songs, featuring Buddy Charleton~ (sorry for the "commercials")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gftgmypDMWs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkBpqEEeLGU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d3Paex ... xdbNnnbjj1
8)
Jack Hanson

Post by Jack Hanson »

chris ivey wrote: buddy emmons' solo in the middle of roger miller's 'tall, tall trees'.
That solo is among the highest order of the art, in my opinion. Can't think of a superlative that even comes close to describing it. Never ceases to amaze. And it fits that goofy novelty tune to a tee.

And Roger hired the guy to play the bass. Go figure...
J. David Carrera

Post by J. David Carrera »

just found this and can't stop listening.

I love the classic country jams but greg's simple lines sounds so hip on this tune.

http://youtu.be/-3bMERyIUWo
David Graves

Post by David Graves »

I don't want to sound cliche' but the steel riff that made me fall in love with the instrument in the first place was nothing other than " Night Life" that chord progression does it all for me. There are thousands ( if not more ) great steel parts, but the Night Life intro is my favorite hands down. Second place to Hughey's "look at us"
St. Blues 1984 "Holy Grail"
Take the time to introduce someone young to music... and play a few songs with someone old.
Ben Rubright

Post by Ben Rubright »

Add this one to Buddy Charleton's list....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNUfFh4ikf0

The break comes at 1:40
Chris Templeton

Post by Chris Templeton »

Weldon's solo on George Strait's version of "Right or Wrong", Buddy Cage's solo on "Contract" by NRPS, Tom Brumley on "I Sang Dixie" by Dwight Yokam, Sneaky Pete on Little Feat's "Six Feet Of Snow & that turnaround on The Gatlin Brothers "Houston" although it is not a solo.
Excel 3/4 Pedal With An 8 String Hawaiian Neck, Tapper (10 string with a raised fretboard to fret with fingers), Single neck Fessenden 3/5
Brett Day

Post by Brett Day »

Right link below-had to edit
Last edited by Brett Day on 23 Jan 2014 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brett Day

Post by Brett Day »

Here's the song "Touch Me" by Danni Leigh with a great steel solo by Steve Hinson;

www.youtube.com/watch?v=af3fIsXNjF8
Tyler George

Post by Tyler George »

Just about to start on PSG, besides my love for western swing and jazzier C6 playing, I love the steel on "Promises, Promises" by Lynn Anderson, and "I'll Come Running" by Connie Smith.
Roual Ranes

Post by Roual Ranes »

Jimmy Day on "City Lights". Jimmy Day on just about anything.
Michael Coggins

Fave Riff...

Post by Michael Coggins »

Lloyd Green's ending solo on "Nothing Can Hurt You" from Ricky Skaggs' Highways & Heartaches record.

1982, I was into metal at the time and this record introduced me to a whole new world! Tried to learn Lloyds's solo on a 6-string guitar as a PSG was out of the question.

The solo just sounds so perfect for the song. Did I read somewhere that it was a one take??
Mullen Royal Precision SD10, 2002 Fender Telecaster, Alden Mandocaster, Boss Katana 100-212, Stage One V/P, Tom Bradshaw Resonator Pedal. Wampler Paisley Drive, Wampler Ego Compressor, Boss Super Chorus, Simble Overdrive.
Jon Steel

Post by Jon Steel »

Is there a book, CD or DVD that gives good instruction on backing up a vocalist?
1940 Kay bass

1939 Rickenbacher Model B 6-string lap steel tuned C6

Jackson Steel Slideking LS 6-string with pitch change hand pedal, tuned Open E

Jackson Steel Sho-Bro 7-string dobro with EDGE hand pedal pitch changer, built by Buddy Emmons and Shot Jackson himself in early 70's, tuned Open E

Hand pedals above take you from the I to the IV.