US Capitol Christmas Tree Lighting Dobro player

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

George Rout

US Capitol Christmas Tree Lighting Dobro player

Post by George Rout »

At the party for lighting the U.S. Capitol Christmas Tree in Washington, there was a sort of bluegrass band with a Dobro. Anybody know who the Dobro player was????

Geo
http://georgerout.com

"I play in the A Major tuning. It's fun to learn and so easy to play. It's as old as the hills....like me"
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

The performer was probably Lindsay Lawler - if so, the dobro player was probably Dave Barnes.
Brad’s Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars
John Mulligan

Post by John Mulligan »

Maybe I'm missing something here, but the performers for the event are listed and pictured here:

http://thenationaltree.org/lighting-cer ... erformers/#
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

That's a different tree and different lighting ceremony.

http://capitolchristmastree.com
Brad’s Page of Steel
Tom Snook

Post by Tom Snook »

That was you George,don't you remember?First there was the whole crazy scene at the airport when the TSA officer pulled you aside when he found your tone bar thinking it was some kind of ammunition,and your finger picks were projectiles from some crude homemade bomb.
Luckily you had copies of both Lorraine Ruymars and Andy Volks books and they let you go so you had just enough time to tune up and perform,quite nicely I might add. :eek:
Of course you would have gotten out of there earlier,had you not insisted that the TSA guy pronounced Sol Ho'opi'i correctly.Don't you remember any of that?It reminded me of that Mel Brooks schtick when you held his cheek as he said "Ho'o" ,over and over,"Ho'o
Ho'o" it was hilarious :lol:
I wanna go back to my little grass shack........
George Rout

Post by George Rout »

Okay Snookums, where are you coming from!!!!!!!! You've had too much Christmas cheer!!!!!! But yes, I do remember that!!!!!!!! Ha ha.

Thanks John and Brad also. It's no big deal anyway guys. My niece is employed with Alaska Airlines who are one of the tree sponsors. She was there for the event and talked to the Dobro player but couldn't remember his name.

Geo

"I play in the A Major tuning. It's fun to learn and so easy to play. It's as old as the hills....like me"
Tom Snook

Post by Tom Snook »

Happy New Year George!
I've always had a vivid imagination,too vivid some times.And it was Phil Silvers schtick not Mel Brooks now that I think about it.
George Rout

Post by George Rout »

And a Happy New Year to you Tom, but you shouldn't be wasting your imte in Florida, we need you here to shovel snow!!!!!

G

Tom Snook

Post by Tom Snook »

Been there done that.I grew up in Chicago :|
Thomas Ford

US Capitol tree lighting Dobro Player

Post by Thomas Ford »

The Dobro player was Josh Matheny, a Nashville Musician and session player. Josh is also a great Lap Steel player. Check him out on the Scantic River Guitars web site. www.scanticriverguitars.com
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

Thanks for the clarification!
Brad’s Page of Steel
George Keoki Lake

Post by George Keoki Lake »

Hey TOM... Quit pickin' on poor George ! (ha!) Your thread had a moment of truth in it as I was "paged" over the huge VANCOUVER airport on my way back from Hawaii a few years ago....to report to SECURITY !
When I arrived at SECURITY, I was ushered into a bare room in which a monitor showed a guy going through my luggage and holding up my (plastic) steel bar. Gads, I had a helluva time explaining the bar was required for the steel guitar just as a bow was required for a violin! I eventually convinced the officer and was spared a night in jail ! (ha!)