Tuner of Choice?

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Alvin Douglas

Tuner of Choice?

Post by Alvin Douglas »

One of the tuners of choice is the Peterson strobe flip tuner. Unfortunately, it is no longer for made. I missed one on Ebay a few days ago and am starting to wish I hadn't. The flip screen, the mounting style, the readout re cents s/f would be idealI cannot seem to find anything similar. What has become the accepted replacement tuner for the strobe flip? I would appreciate some advice on the following notions. I have seen tuners mounted on a guitar leg and assume they would be on all the time the guitar is being used?? Is having a tuner mounted there be a good idea? They probably have an ac power supply vs battery if that is the case. The Boss chromatic works (I use one for my guitar)but is cumbersome because of the pedal activation and difficult to mount up near the bridge??? A volume pedal with a tuner output would be a good idea??

Thanks in advance for your comments.
Alvin
Eric Philippsen

Post by Eric Philippsen »

You're right in that the Stroboflip has been discontinued. I believe the company's replacement for that is the StroboPlus. If you do a search of the Forum you'll find various discussions and threads about that new tuner. As I understand it, it carries all the presets of the StroboFlip and then some.

Many players mount their tuners on the RH side of their steel. Many put it in-line, too, so that one isn't plugging and unplugging the tuner throughout the gig, session or whatever.

Personally, I use a StroboFlip and am very happy with it. I could put it in-line but don't because I hear a difference with it in-line. No matter, really, because after tuning up before the gig I might only check it halfway through the night. Any minor tweaking I do harmonically.
David Nugent

Post by David Nugent »

The 'Stroboplus' has a few distinct advantages over the 'Stroboflip' in my opinion. The Plus is rechargeable utilizing either an optional wall charger or the USB port on your computer (or in your car if it has a USB port,the adapter cable is included with the tuner), so no wall wart to plug in nor batteries to change on the job. The Flip on the other hand requires either 'C' batteries or its own designated power supply rather than utilizing the standard 9V battery or adapter. (There was a case on the Forum where a member actually fried one by accidently plugging into an incorrect adapter)..The screen on the Stroboplus is more visible and easier to read in dim light..And best of all, you can purchase a new Stroboplus for approximately the same cost as a used Stroboflip.
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

If you have a smartphone, Cleartune is available for three or 4 bucks on all platforms. If you have Apple products, Peterson has an app.
I like Cleartune better than my old Korgs/Bosses.
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

My choice is either the Peterson Stroboplus HD (the current model) or the Sonic Research ST122a strobe. Both have the Newman and Emmons tunings.

I have the Peterson Strobe for my iPhone and it was a waste of money. It is no where near as accurate as the Stroboplus HD (or the older Strobe O Flip). I was dealing with a person from Peterson on the iPhone strobe program and its inconsistencies but after a few exchanges of e-mails and sending him requested testing information that is the last I heard, no further follow up. The Cleartone is OK for a backup but I wouldn't use it as my primary tuner.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Alvin Douglas

Post by Alvin Douglas »

Thanks for the replies and advice. I have decided to buy the new plus version of Peterson's strobe tuner. They also sell a matching leg bracket that I intend to try. As always, the advice on this board is amazing. Thanks again.
Alvin
Marvin Randolph

Post by Marvin Randolph »

Pitchlab (Free) for Android seems very nice.

Many different instrument presets to choose from including pedal steel e9, c6, uke, banjo etc...

Many preset Temperament's to choose from.

If your instrument or temperament is not listed you can create your own custom one!

Strobe wheel and/or effect on several different tuning displays for very fast tuneup.

Chord recognition.

Have a look at it here if interested.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... c.pitchlab
Dennis Detweiler

Post by Dennis Detweiler »

Sonic Research. I use the ST-200 model and programmed my tempered frequencies.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.
Tom Wolverton

Post by Tom Wolverton »

TC Electronics Polytune 2 for me. So far I love it. Don't use the polytune feature. Just a great chromatic tuner with bright LEDs for daytime stages.
To write with a broken pencil is pointless.
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

My review of the Strobo HD with a few comments comparing it with the latest Sonic Research:

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/StroboPlusHD ... lusHD.html

Greg
Alvin Douglas

Post by Alvin Douglas »

Outstanding review. Confirms my choice.
Gabrial Mayer

Post by Gabrial Mayer »

I have a Peterson (Strobe II I believe) and it deffinately does the job... But I began using pitch lab for Android and really like it.

I figured out my cabinet drop and plugged it in to this site:
http://www.lozach.com/tuning.php

I made a custom instrument for my U-12...
Then I made a 2 custom temperaments, one for pedals up and one for pedals down and it has been an absolute pleasure. In the essence of full disclosure I have only been playing a proper pedal steel for about 6 months. I was struggling sometimes getting in right with the peterson... Most likely from not using it right.

All I know is with pitchlab tuning my baby is a lot quicker and easier now. And you can't beat the price :)
Sixth wobbly wheel for: Uncle Bens Remedy
Jerry Kippola

Post by Jerry Kippola »

Korg Pitchblack in strobe mode
Bill Duncan

Post by Bill Duncan »

TU 12. It must be close to thirty years old. I don't even remember when I bought it. but Reagan was probably president. I still love it./
You can observe a lot just by looking
Bob Snelgrove

Post by Bob Snelgrove »

Korg Pitchblack, by far!

bob
Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

In my racks I run the Peterson Stroborack -- and also have a Strobo HD
14'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
08'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
94' Franklin Stereo D10 9+8
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Chris Schlotzhauer

Post by Chris Schlotzhauer »

Harmonics and my ears
Jim Pitman

Post by Jim Pitman »

Does anybody know if someone makes a tuner that uses an accelerometer device rather than the standard magnetic coil or mic input?
The Snark is such a beast but's a little short on features and resolution. (what do you expect for $10.00) I was comparing my Snark to my Boss TU12 the other day. the Boss is more resolved. It may simply be for the fact the Boss has an analog needle movement.
However, I really like clamp-on which eliminates a cable.
Bill Moran

Post by Bill Moran »

Where can I get a new Stroboplus HD ? Im still using an old Korg.

Bill
Dennis Detweiler

Post by Dennis Detweiler »

I had a Korg like that for many years. It finally wore out.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.
Bob Snelgrove

Post by Bob Snelgrove »

Trust me, fellas, this is the one you want. True bypass A/B inputs, custom programming.

http://www.amazon.com/Korg-Pitchblack-C ... lack+tuner

bob
Brian LeBlanc

Pitch Lab App; Input?

Post by Brian LeBlanc »

most of my gigs don't pay enough to actually tune up

but, I've got Pitch Lab app on the phone

anyone know a way to plug G-tar into phone...

so it doesnt pick up everyone else?
'Frenchy' LeBlanc...
ShoBud & Twins
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002PC88X2
Google "Petersen tuner adapter"
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Mike Wheeler

Post by Mike Wheeler »

I replaced my Stroboflip with the Stroboplus HD a couple weeks ago. Now, I'm not a tuning perfectionist, but once I got Sid Hudson's preset downloaded into it, and added a couple extra notes for my U12, I was sold.

Just ONE preset, I can tune up totally silent and know my guitar will be right on the money...takes about 3 minutes with no guesswork. I love it!! So simple.

And the display is MUCH better than the Stroboflip, IMHO. It seems easier to lock a note in.
Best regards,
Mike
Mark DeMarino

Tuner

Post by Mark DeMarino »

As a beginner, I am looking for a good, reasonably priced tuner to start with. I am playing electric Rondo SX. Elderly made recommendation shown here:

http://www.elderly.com/accessories/items/KHT-G2.htm

but it shows for accoustic guitar vs electric and not specific to a lap steel.

Comments please....MD
"Eyes up, Chin the same, Looking for Cloudstreets calling my name"
m.a.demarino...oct.2009

2011? Rondo SX C6
Gorilla Amp
Waiting on Custom Gary Swallow steel