is this young dude a member here? fine playing!

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Teddy Ray Bullard II

is this young dude a member here? fine playing!

Post by Teddy Ray Bullard II »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGPzI62u ... VpjApc4XDR

ive almost got enough money to buy another steel, and I hope to be a fraction as good!
John Rogers

Post by John Rogers »

I agree, he plays nice. The equipment sounds great too.
MSA Classic D-10 XL 8 & 4 August, 1976
Converted to SD10 3 & 4 in 2010
Peavey N112
Hilton Volume Pedal
Digitech RP155
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

His name is Will Van Horn. Apparently he has been Robert Ellis's steel player for some time. Looks here like he may have switched to a Williams..

Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

We will be hearing and seeing more and more of Will. He is burning up the road and has the ears and hands. Plus he has already moved way beyond being the steel player in the band. He knows how to be an essential part of the music around him. A real musician.
Last edited by Bob Hoffnar on 20 Jan 2014 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob
Darvin Willhoite

Post by Darvin Willhoite »

That guitar sure looks familiar. :)
Darvin Willhoite
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.
W. Van Horn

Post by W. Van Horn »

Thanks so much for the post and the kind words yall, and thank you Bob - that all means an awful lot especially coming from you!
That day was a hungover throw-and-go kinda thing a couple years back.
We're about to hit the road in Febuary for a long while, come on out and say hi if any of yall would like to. Dates are at http://robertellismusic.com .
And yes, I sure did love the sound of that BMI with a tonealigner and my twin.
Darvin - That is indeed your beautiful Williams!
Thanks again, it's very nice to see this post.
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

good pickin' there, will!
Fred Glave

Post by Fred Glave »

I enjoyed that clip a lot. Thanks Will!
Zum Encore, Zum Stage One, Fender 2000, Harlan Bros., Multi-Kord,
Jack Strayhorn

Post by Jack Strayhorn »

Will, great playing and a great song and artist. I look forward to hearing more from you both.
Jack Strayhorn

Post by Jack Strayhorn »

Been checking out the many clips of you guys on youtube. I am really inspired with your music. What can be done to help promote this and other artist that are producing original material?
Joachim Kettner

Post by Joachim Kettner »

That was exceptional! You two sound so good together. Thanks.
Fender Kingman, Sierra Crown D-10, Evans Amplifier, Soup Cube.
Tim Walker

Post by Tim Walker »

Check out Robert Ellis's record "Photographs" - it's a great record with killer steel playing. I got to see Robert Ellis play solo at Stagecoach last year - he was outstanding all the way round. Looking forward to seeing the full band play here in March.
John Macy

Post by John Macy »

Dang--I see you are playing the Lost Lake in Denver on March 22nd--I have a studio a block from there...but I think we are leaving for Texas that morning...If our plans change, I'd love to come see y'all...
John Macy
Rockport, TX
Engineer/Producer/Steel Guitar
Shane Reilly

Post by Shane Reilly »

Great stuff Will! Robert was here in Melbourne a little while ago and we bumped into each other at two separate radio stations on the same day, both doing live to air .I was literally packing up my steel as he was walking into the studio both times. He asked me what steel I was playing,exchanged a few words,nice guy and a brilliant songwriter with a lot of truths to tell. Kelly Joe Phelps was there too. Fun Day.
Cheers, Shane.
W. Van Horn

Post by W. Van Horn »

Thanks everyone!

John - Let me know if yall end up in Denver, I'd love to meet and visit some with you.

Tim - I appreciate the kind words about Photographs. I'd only been playing a few months when we recorded that and I think it shows a lot, I can't listen to it. But if I tune out my steel parts, it's a good record!

Shane - Robert told me about that. I was supposed to do both those radio spots with him but only did the second one - apparently missing you by a couple minutes. Too bad! Had a great time in Melbourne, hopefully we will be back there soon - let's grab a beer.
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

That's Awesome Will; so proud of you. Stay with it bro and tell Robert I said Hey.
Ricky
Ricky Davis
Email Ricky: sshawaiian2362@gmail.com
Brett Lanier

Post by Brett Lanier »

Will Van Horn wrote: I appreciate the kind words about Photographs. I'd only been playing a few months when we recorded that
Whoa! I really like how you kick off the break to "Coming Home". It reminded me of John Hugheys solo on Bloody Mary Morning from the Phases and Stages album.

Will, I met Robert roughly a year ago when he and some of the band came through and played Burlington, VT. After their show they came out to our weekly honky tonk gig in town. Robert and the tele player sat in with us, did "The Grand Tour" and a couple others. It was fun hangin and chatting with those guys. Btw, he called you Willy.
Shane Reilly

Post by Shane Reilly »

Glad you enjoyed Melbourne Will, it's a cool city.
Be great to catch up for a beer next time, I'll keep my
eyes peeled for you guys. Who knows, might catch you
at a radio station next time!
Cheers, Shane.
Tim Walker

Post by Tim Walker »

Hey Will, That blows me away that you had only been playing for a few months - when I first heard the record I thought it was an old timer on steel!

NPR posted a link to the new record today - check it out folks:

http://www.npr.org/2014/01/26/264885100 ... ical-plant