Alabama Show

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

Bill Cook

Alabama Show

Post by Bill Cook »

The Alabama Steel Guitar Association will hold it's annual Show January 31 & Feb 1, 2014 in Prattville, Alabama. Venue is The Music Hall 935 N. Memorial Drive ( Highway 31 )Prattville, Alabama 36067. This is the same venue as last year! Special Guests include: Mike Johnson with Family & Friends, Lynn Owsley,Jim Vest & Billy Robinson all from the Nashville area. Georgia players include: Tommy Dodd, Bill Ferguson, Bill Nicholson,and Roger Crawford if he is over his bout with phenmonia.Shorty Smith will be on with his Big Man Emmons.Alabama greats Don Lynch, Jeremy Drawbaugh, Gordon Dodson, just to name a few.
Hall of Fame Inductions will be Pee Wee Dutton and the late Ernie Cawby. They will be inducted at 2.00.
Hotel Information! The Sleep Inn. 2295 Cobbs Ford Road, Millbrook, Alabama. Ask for Alabama Steel Guitar Rates which should be $70.00 plus tax. This is a very nice Motel which has Frifges, Microwaves & coffee makers in each room. If you incur any problems with Motel, Please contact me ASAP.
We will have Grilled Hamburgers & Hot Dogs for the noon meal on Saturday.Singers included, but not limited to, Joanie Johnson, Linda Baily, Violet Blue & Jessica Strength. Male singers include Wendell Gurley, Cletus Hopkins, Andy Norman & others.
Admissions will be $10.00 for Friday night $20.00 for Saturday, or $25.00 for both Friday night & Saturday. This will be a great show! Billy Robinson, Lynn Owsley & Jim Vest are in or will be in The International Steel Guitar Hall of Fame. Jim Vest will be inducted this year after his induction last year to The Alabama Steel Guitar Hall of Fame. Make your plans now to attend a great Show. Any questions please direct them to me, Bill Cook. The Hotel is just off exit 179 of I 65. Jam Friday Night will start at 6.00 and Saturday will kick off at 9.00AM. Come join us for a day of great music and fellowship.
Roger Crawford

Post by Roger Crawford »

Hey Bill, I'm over that crud and I'm looking forward to being there! If you have never been to a show that Bill puts together, you have really missed something. First class all the way. See you soon!
Leon Champion

Ala show

Post by Leon Champion »

Gail and I will be there sat. for sure.
Mike Taylor

Post by Mike Taylor »

Looks like a great show... Looking forward to it...

Mike
Gary Moore

Pumped

Post by Gary Moore »

We are all Pumped Up Here in Mobile Ala, will Be There .
Bill Cunningham

Post by Bill Cunningham »

Brother Bill, as I said on the phone a few days ago, I really appreciate the invitation but my job is taking me on a trip around the world (literally) at the time of your show. I had a blast last year and wish you the best with this one. Please keep me on the list for 2015.

Bill (Audra and the dogs say hello, too)
Bill Cunningham
Atlanta, GA
Bill Cook

Alabama Show

Post by Bill Cook »

Mike Taylor,
Have you down for playing both Friday & Saturday!! Glad you can make it!!
Bill Cook

Alabama Show

Post by Bill Cook »

Knew I left some people off! Mike Taylor will represent Florida in the show. Mike is a great person & musician. Also Jack Goodson will be playing Steel & Fiddle. His lovely wife Martha will be singing and daintzing so be sure not to miss her performance.Good band also! Johnny Thomas on guitar, Wayne Smith on Bass and others!
Mike Taylor

Post by Mike Taylor »

Bill.
Thanks for the kind words.. Looking forward to seeing all the alabama gang. We will be up Friday to get a good seat!

Mike
Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

I sure look forward to this show. It has been a few years since my schedule allowed me to play the AL show, but now that I a retired, heck, I can play most any show.

Thanks for the invite to play and also to help run the show.
Bill Cook

Alabama Show

Post by Bill Cook »

Update! Just got confirmation on Pearly Curtis!! Pearly is an excellent Musician & singer!!He will be a big addition to the Show! Made arrangements for Pole to be ready for Martha Goodson's set!! If you haven't seen Martha grabbing the pole, it's worth the price of admissions! She will also sing a few.
Jim Hartley

Post by Jim Hartley »

Hey Friends,

For those who may not be familiar with Perley Curtis, let me give you a quick update. Perley is one Nashville's best kept secrets. Quiet, unassuming, plays with great taste and one of the best country singers I've heard in a long time. Perley's been around Nashville about 25 years, worked with a few artists, including several years with Loretta Lynn. He's the real deal, I know you'll enjoy his set.

Looking forward to seeing all my Alabama friends, I know we're gonna have a big time. Gosh, Lyn Owlsley, Billy Robinson, Jim Vest, Perley, all those great AL,GA and FL players, plus Mike and Joanie.....How can this not be one of the best weekends ever?

See ya there,
Jim
Last edited by Jim Hartley on 24 Jan 2014 7:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jeremy Drawbaugh

Post by Jeremy Drawbaugh »

Hey his sounds like I will be the best show yet I will be there fri and sat. Looking forward to it And the great staff band. Look forward to seeing everybody.
Bill Cook

Alabama Show

Post by Bill Cook »

Gary Moore! Bring your Rig!! I will find a place for you if nothing but in Friday night Jam!! You are very welcome my friend!!
Gary Moore

Post by Gary Moore »

Thank;s Bill I see What I Can do,
Wayne F. Smith

AL Show

Post by Wayne F. Smith »

Just talked to Bill Cook and told him I was looking forward to playing on the show. Looks like a good one lined up. Will get to see some old friends and miss seeing Ernie there. See y'all soon as we say in NJ.
Jim Hartley

Post by Jim Hartley »

Hey Wayne and Johnnie,

My schedule has kept me away from the last few shows we normally work together, so I'm really looking forward to this one. Glad you guys are gonna be there, wish ole Strickland was comin' over.

See ya Friday,
Jim
Last edited by Jim Hartley on 30 Jan 2014 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wayne F. Smith

Alabama Show

Post by Wayne F. Smith »

Jim, It'ii be good to see you again and pick with you.
Wayne
Lynn Owsley

Ala Steel Guitar Hall of Fame Show

Post by Lynn Owsley »

I know that you Ala. Pickers will be done with all that snow plowing and wood chopping and will be ready for some steel pickin this week end at the Prattville, Ala Music Hall. All of us that are here in Nashville are looking forward to it, also and we are lookin forward to coming on down to a warmer climate!!! This will be a fun week end....we will see "Ya'll" Friday and Saturday...
I will be bringing my Farm All Guitar and my Wood burning Allis Chalmers Amp !!!
Visit my website at
www.LynnOwsley.com
With Stories, Pictures, CD's
Bill Cook

Alabama Show

Post by Bill Cook »

Everything is a GO!!!!!!!
Lynn Owsley

Ala. Steel Guitar Show and Hall of Fame Ceremony

Post by Lynn Owsley »

Wow !!! This was a wonderful gathering with great fellowship and music. Thank you Bill Cook and all the ones who put out the efforts to make this happen. This is a Steel Event that gets bigger and better each time. Speaking for all here in Nashville who were a part of this...we again thank and salute you, and look forward to being a part of this show in the future...
"You ought to see Deacon Jones when he rattles his bones , Hail , Hail the gang's all here for the Alabama Jubilee "
Visit my website at
www.LynnOwsley.com
With Stories, Pictures, CD's
Bill Cook

Alabama Show

Post by Bill Cook »

Thanks Lynn!! It was a great Show!!!! Thanks to all who made the trip and played The Show!! Mike Johnson, Lynn, Billy Robinson, Big Jim Vest, Perly Curtis all came down from Nashville on Perly's Bus!! Wish I could have been on that Bus!! Big Jim drove the women Wild!!! When he showed how he did all those great licks, the women went wild! Even sang a Vern song!! A man of many talents!!. All The Georgia boys were excellent as well as The Alabama Gang!! Mike Taylor made Florida proud!! Played guitar in band when he wasn't playing Steel. A special Thanks to Bill Ferguson, who MCed The Show!! Kept us 100% on schedule!! Great Job Bill!! Thank You very much! Thanks to all who came to the Show!! It was a "Goodun"
Wayne F. Smith

Alabama Show

Post by Wayne F. Smith »

Bill Cook put together a great show. When I got back to my room I was wore out. That was as tired as I have been in a long time. I guess I'm getting too old. I sure had a good time seeing and listening to all great players.
Jimmy Campbell

Post by Jimmy Campbell »

Hey Gang.
Robin & I were planning on driving down early Saturday morning to the show.
Being a Licensed funeral director and retired, I still get calls to work when needed and I was needed Saturday.
Sorry we missed seeing our friends and hearing some great Steel pickin.
Next year we will come down a few days early and be out of pocket to work.
You know when you are retired and on a fixed income, the extra money helps out. :)
Thanks Bill Cook and others who put on the Alabama show.
Jim Hartley

Post by Jim Hartley »

Well, another year, another great Alabama show. Bill Cook pulls it together and once again gives us another memorable weekend.

Jimmy Campbell, you missed a good one, and we all missed hearing your fine playing. Wayne, I'm right there with you on the old and tired thing, but if I had a chance, I'd do it again tomorrow. I started to climb in a bunk as soon as we got on the bus, but I'm sure glad I didn't. The old road stories started, then after a quick barbeque stop in Birmingham, we watched an old video of the opry from "79 and "80. We saw alot of old friends, had alot of laughs and....well, we saw alot of friends we wish we could see one more time.

Anyway, thanks again Bill, already looking forward to next year.