Picks And Steel On Airlines

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Roy Thomson

Picks And Steel On Airlines

Post by Roy Thomson »

When flying is it better to put your picks and bar in your carry on bag or in your "Check In" suitcase?
Reason for asking of course, the bar could be a dangerous weapon.
I would appreciate some feedback.
Many thanks.
Custom Tabs Various Tunings
Courses Lap Steel, Pedal Steel
Paul DiMaggio

Post by Paul DiMaggio »

I usually carry them on. Having said that, I was questioned once in Vancouver and they had to dig around to find them in what was mostly dirty laundry. There was no issue with them other than they didn't know what they were. I was advised to keep them in a more accessible place in my carry on. The machines sometimes see things in an odd way. I bought a double snaffle driving bit for a horse in Calgary and every x-Ray machine security guy said it looked like a knife. It was made of 4 twisted wires with offset snaffles and 3" cheek rings no flat pieces. In Prince George the woman let me look at the image on the screen and sure enough, it looked like a knife.
David Soreff

Post by David Soreff »

Aloha,
I always put them in my carry on...and have never had a problem. I have had TSA ask a few times to see them, but never had anything taken away. I usually carry about four bars with me and three sets og thumb picks and finger picks...never an ussue.
Scott Malchow

Post by Scott Malchow »

In my experience, airport security questions can vary
city to city. I usually carry bars , picks, and wrenches in a separate leather pouch and take it out of my laptop bag and present it along with my wallet. It seems that presenting it up front makes the process faster. I have had more questions in Phoenix and Minneapolis than other places. Once at the Nashville airport, the TSA agent looked up at me and asked "What kind of guitar do you have? I play an MSA!" Priceless moment.......
In a time of drastic change it is the learners who inherit the future. The learned usually find themselves equipped to live in a world that no longer exists.
~ Eric Hoffer, philosopher and author 1902-1983