Where Would You Go?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jimmy Dale

Where Would You Go?

Post by Jimmy Dale »

If you were free to go anywhere in this beautiful country of ours where there was lots of music being played, and, you were free to play 4 or 5 nights a week with a bunch of good ole boys that, like yourself, just loved to play out. Where would you go?
Is there such a place? Jim Miller, I'D RATHER BE STEELIN'
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

I think I'd try San Antonio
Smiley Roberts

Post by Smiley Roberts »

If my house wasn't paid for,& I was,at least,20 yrs younger,probably,Texas. San Antonio,(1st)or Austin.(2nd)

------------------
<font face="monospace" size="3"><pre> ~ ~
©¿© It don't mean a thang,
mm if it ain't got that twang.
www.ntsga.com</pre></font>

Smiley Roberts

Post by Smiley Roberts »

(great minds think alike) Image Image

------------------

Grant Johnson

Post by Grant Johnson »

If I didn't just buy my first home, get married last year, have a good day job, a telecaster gig, and a pedal steel gig up here in Seattle, I would go to Austin in an instant!
Alas, life is good!

------------------
www.bigsmokey.com
Budd Kelley

Post by Budd Kelley »

I have 3 years left on the mortgage and 6 years till I retire. Then I am going to buy a guitar worth owning, with a big amp and move from the bedroom to the living room!

WATCH OUT NEIGHBORS!!
Roger Edgington

Post by Roger Edgington »

I already made that choice. After being stationed in The Air Force in San Antonio for 4 years I moved back to Ohio. I keep hearing Texas call my name. I really missed the Texas dance halls and moved back permenantly in 1979. Haven't looked back since.
Gene H. Brown

Post by Gene H. Brown »

Well, I think I would stay right where I'm at in Whitehorse, Yukon Territory, Canada or Alaska. The average night's pay up here is $100.00 per 4 hour gig at a sit down gig, and if you book out to play a wedding or just a dance, it's at least double that amount and sometimes triple. I have no gripes about the wages up here and I sort of have a monoply on gigs for steel because I am the only steel player for hundreds of miles. I'm not bragging, I'm just very thankful I get to play good country music and make good money when I do. I've played and lived in Seattle and Portland, Oregon for many years , but this is a better deal.
Thanks
Gene H. Brown

------------------
If You Keep Pickin That Thing, It'll Never Heal!
;)

Dale Bessant

Post by Dale Bessant »

Not for long Gene H. Brown, as soon as I finish typin' and sending this in, I'm packin' my steel and gear( and a winter jacket) and headin' north-west to try and give you some competition,he,he,he....No sorry, changed my mind,Austin,Texas sounds to good,now if I could only get that elusive green card?.mmmmm... Image<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Dale Bessant on 23 September 2003 at 07:35 PM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Dale Bessant on 23 September 2003 at 07:38 PM.]</p></FONT>
Smiley Roberts

Post by Smiley Roberts »

Yeah,but Gene,ain't it about $20 for 2 eggs, sausage,hash browns & toast?? Image

------------------

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Smiley Roberts on 23 September 2003 at 08:51 PM.]</p></FONT>
Gene H. Brown

Post by Gene H. Brown »

Ya know what Smiley, I used to think we were high priced up here until I made a trip to Eugene, Oregon to my Dad's funeral last year. We pay about $5.95 for Bacon, Eggs and hashbrowns up here, that's in Canadian moneywhich works out to be about 60% of what it would be at $5.95 US. The only thing that I can see that is higher up here is the price of Gasoline, which is $.86 a litre. And for all you old southern boys, which I am kinda one myself, since I was born in Nowata, Oklahoma, that works out to be about $3.60 a gallon, since there are 4 litres to a gallon, but.....again, thats Canadian money, so take away 40% of the total and you have $2.16 a gallon, still not bad. The only problem with living up here is the winter, it gets 40 below many times in the winter and man!!!!!!!!!!!thats cooooollllddd.
I wish I did have someone else up here just to sit and talk steel with, it would be nice.
Wayne Brown

Post by Wayne Brown »

gene i'm right below you in calgary...and i'll always talk steel bud....as for the reply to the thread...jimmy i don't even live in your country bud i've been to texas and i'm going back in march and my choice would be texas ...in a heartbeat
thanks
wayne<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Wayne Brown on 23 September 2003 at 09:04 PM.]</p></FONT>
Jimmy Dale

Post by Jimmy Dale »

Hey Budd, you're sump'm else. You probably have the best idea of all.
Ya know, I grew up in South Carolina and absolutely loved it there, and I always had thoughts of some day going back there. However, from what I hear, things are dead there musically also.
The north country is out !!! I put 30 years over the road in a semi up there. Yea, 30 winters. That's why I'm out of the snow country now. All I heard before I retired was " If ya want to play a lot, go to Fla., cuz that's where it is." Wrong, Wrong, Wrong! Been here 5 years and I do play about every week-end, but I was looking for more.
Oh well, I might go back to So. Carolina any way and do like Budd. Just set'er up in the living room and let er' set there for a couple weeks until the wife gets used to having her around. Then I'll plug up and play a little. Jim Miller I'D RATHER BE STEELIN' PS. By the way. I ran some Texas while I was on the road, and I do like it down there.
Smiley Roberts

Post by Smiley Roberts »

<SMALL>it gets 40 below many times in the winter and man!!!!!!!!!!!thats cooooollllddd.</SMALL>
I know what yer talkin' 'bout. Back in the late 60's,I went to Thule A.F.B.,Greenland, in December. Not only was it about 50 below zero,it was 24 HRS. DARKNESS!! And that was BEFORE digital clocks,so,after a couple o' weeks there,you didn't know if it was 12 noon,or 12 midnight!
They called it the "Thule Big-eye". Image

------------------

Gene H. Brown

Post by Gene H. Brown »

Hey Smiley, you are right man!! Say Smiley , do you ever get around to any of the Recording Studios in Nashville? If you do and you happen to be down around Gene Breeden's Studio, would you do me a favor and say Hello for me, I worked with Gene in his Studio in Vancouver, Washington for a few years and he is one great Lead Picker and one great guy.
Thanks Smiley
Gene

------------------
If You Keep Pickin That Thing, It'll Never Heal!
;)

Eric West

Post by Eric West »

Las Vegas

Two shifts a day, 5 days a week, comp rooms at the IP, 50k$ a year, a dental plan, and a pony.

EJL
Eric West

Post by Eric West »

Gene Brown:

Was just talking to my wife Linda, and she said that indeed you did know her family. Lenoria (Humphreys) her mother, and Bill Jones, her step dad. They were all from Allowe and/or Nowata. Also that you visited them often when you played with Jimmy Patton.

Anyhow, Bill died more than 20 years ago, and just recently Kenny Jones, his brother, whom Lenoria married a couple years after that passed away. He'd had daibetes, and had refused to eat right or see the doc. He passed out one evening and died while Lenoria was back in Tenessee visiting her other daughter Carol. The neighbor found him. He had no living relatives that we can find.

Anyhow, it's indeed a SMALL world. Huh?

EJL
Gene H. Brown

Post by Gene H. Brown »

Well Eric West, you hit the nail right on the head. Actually Bill Jones was a distant uncle of mine, I knew them very well. And Jimmy Patton was a very dear friend of mine, that man gave me my first job playing steel at 16 years old and I wasn't even old enough to stay in the night club on breaks, I would have to go to the kitchen and when break was over right back up on the bandstand. It is a small world.
Thanks
Eric