Rickenbacker B6 pickup oddity

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Jon King

Rickenbacker B6 pickup oddity

Post by Jon King »

Anyone seen one like this or know anything about it? The owner sent me these photos. He's had it for about 20 years. This is the way it came when he got it.
Rick Aiello

Post by Rick Aiello »

That looks like a a Rickenbacker 4003 bass pickup cover ... And the bobbin looks like one too, albeit a 6 stringer ...

They fit in the same surround used for all the 1.25" units ... Steels , 4001 & 4003 bass, etc

Rick bass players have been harvesting 1.25" horseshoe magnets for more than 20 years ... >:-)

Jon King

Rick nails it

Post by Jon King »

Thanks Rick. I thought of you right off when I saw this pickup. I think you hit it right on the money. Now the mystery narrows to whether there are other such 6 string pickups out there.
What's consensus on a guess this was a factory job? I can see putting a 6 pole bobbin inside a bass enclosure. Which leaves the question of why this wasn't more commonly done.
I think it looks pretty cool. (Not up to Aiello pickup standards, but aesthetically better than the split on top.)
Rick Aiello

Post by Rick Aiello »

This wasn't done originally by Rickenbacher ... IE: that B6 had horseshoes originally ... That were taken for a bass ...

As far as the bobbin/coil ... Any pickup guy could have fashioned that ... Using Ferrite or Alnico magnets under the bobbin to feed the screw pole pieces ...

As with so many vintage steels with pickups sought after by electric guitarists and bassists ... It was/is very common to buy a steel for it's sought after components ...

PS: Anyone notice that Rickenbacker now advertises replacement "faux" horseshoe pickups ... Unusual timing, if you know what I mean. :roll:

http://boutique.rickenbacker.com/Pickups_c_12.html
Jon King

Consensus of 2

Post by Jon King »

If 2 can make consensus, then consensus we've got.
I recall visiting with Jason Lollar and a few others about the faux Rick horseshoes. This was many moons ago. Personal experience says Ric stopped supplying horseshoe pups in 1971, meaning the last year they were available was '70. And from the early-mid 60s, the horseshoe wasn't magnetic. I referred to them as look-a-likes. I knew they started using look-a-likes again in the mid 90s but the supply was intermittent. Several friends & I asked for them, both as replacements & installed in any of their new guitars. Ric was unable to supply them.
Rick, your link leads to a page that looks the same as when we tried to order horseshoe p'ups from Ric way back then. And we tried several direct queries. It'd be interesting to know if anyone's been successful at getting one from Rickenbacker.
Bill Creller

Post by Bill Creller »

Derrick Mau had a pickup like that in a late bakelite. Just a cover over the top, with a conventional coil. I believe I put a horseshoe in it. (?)don't remember.. Rickenbacker did some strange things....
Seems that when we think we've seen it all, another one comes out of the woodwork... :D
Michael Brebes

Post by Michael Brebes »

The six-string pickup is actually the newer Rickenbacker high gain pickups that replaced the original "toaster top" pickups, minus the chrome cover. The black "buttons" is the giveaway.
Michael Brebes
Instrument/amp/ pickup repair
MSA D10 Classic/Rickenbacher B6/
Dickerson MOTS/Dobro D32 Hawaiian/
Goldtone Paul Beard Reso

Mesa Boogie Studio Pre/Hafler 3000
RP1/MPX100
Jon King

Post by Jon King »

Thanks Michael, That fits. And so does the mounting for the cover plate. The owner claims a lack of comparison experience, but thinks it sounds like recordings of other B6's.