GFI S10 Ultra/Copedant question

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Marvin Randolph

GFI S10 Ultra/Copedant question

Post by Marvin Randolph »

I Have had a GFI S10 Ultra for about 6 months and am slowly learning to play it!
I purchased ClicTab so I can "tab" what i learn and study PSG and it is working well so far. While setting up ClicTab, I noticed that my PSG Copedant was not setup as i thought it was. (I bought it used).

The E9th-Nashville Copedant had been modified like this:
( please excuse my lack of proper terminology etc.. )

The only change was to RKL. The 1/2 note raise on string 7 had been MOVED to string 8 and LOWERED the pitch 1/2 note. Also, a rod was added that RAISED string 2 by 1/2 note.

So, RKL raised string 1 and 2 by 1/2 note AND lowered string 8 by 1/2 note.

It was quite easy to switch stuff back to Nashville, but now I am wondering just what or who's copedant was that? Was it usefull and might i miss it!

Hopefully all is now set up in the popular Nashville tuning/Copedant. My RKL raises string 1 and 7 by 1/2 note. ( I sure hope that's right! )

Thank you
Larry Bell

Post by Larry Bell »

Pedal steel standards are wonderful -- we have so MANY of them
What IS pretty standard is 3 pedals and 3 or 4 knee levers. Most folks order the pedals ABC (Emmons setup) but some order them CBA (Day setup). When it comes to levers, most everyone raises 4 & 8, lowers 4 & 8, lowers 2 D# to D (and sometimes on down to C# -- and some also lower 9 to C#). Some raise 1 & 7 F# to G (or G#). Some lower 5 & 10 B to Bb. Some lower 6 G# to F#. WHERE these changes are located can vary. Any 'standard' is really an individual's or group's PREFERRED copedent.

Learn to think of a pedal or lever's function in terms of what it DOES rather than where it is located. Hope this makes some sense. It is easy to get confused when that tab course you bought uses a slightly different location for the 'standard' changes. You will find players and authors who share your copedent and some who don't. You shouldn't change your setup every time you find a new teacher or tab course or program like ClicTab.
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
My CD's: 'I've Got Friends in COLD Places' - 'Pedal Steel Guitar'
2021 Rittenberry S/D-12 8x7, 1976 Emmons S/D-12 7x6, 1969 Emmons S/D-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro, Quilter ToneBlock 202 TT-12
Marvin Randolph

Post by Marvin Randolph »

Thanks Larry. Having only played for about 6 months, I certainly don't plan on changing tuning/co-pedant anywhere in the near future. I only wanted to make sure that I was using a very common tuning, assuming that it would allow the greatest use of instructional aids and videos etc...

In my lack of experience, I barely notice the difference, but there have been a couple times I notice that something was different.

Bottom line, I sure learned a lot about my PSG. Looking at the bottom may be intimidating for some, but, after staring at the bottom for several days, I switched it all over and put a new set of strings in a couple hours and sounds/plays great!

Now, my personal test will be... How long can i sit here looking at this extra rod i took. I bet someday i find a place for it :)
Larry Bell

Post by Larry Bell »

You done good, Marvin. :)
Best of luck to you. It's an instrument like no other.
Happy holidays!
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
My CD's: 'I've Got Friends in COLD Places' - 'Pedal Steel Guitar'
2021 Rittenberry S/D-12 8x7, 1976 Emmons S/D-12 7x6, 1969 Emmons S/D-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro, Quilter ToneBlock 202 TT-12