Bill Kirchen &Texicalli w Cindy Cashdollar

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Dennis Smith

Bill Kirchen &Texicalli w Cindy Cashdollar

Post by Dennis Smith »

Bill and the band sound good but when Cindy comes in it brings the song to life.
http://youtu.be/r6xigbpgkBA
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

:roll:
Last edited by chris ivey on 10 Dec 2013 9:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
Michael Lester

Post by Michael Lester »

BWAHAHAHAHA....
Tom Snook

Post by Tom Snook »

"Off with her head"!
OK ,she can keep her head.Hard to see what fret yer on without it.
Last edited by Tom Snook on 10 Dec 2013 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I wanna go back to my little grass shack........
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

:eek:
Last edited by chris ivey on 10 Dec 2013 9:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bill Leff

Post by Bill Leff »

Please let's not start dissing players on this Forum....
Paul DiMaggio

Post by Paul DiMaggio »

I think Cindy's credentials speak for themselves. You could e-mail Bill tho and ask him why he allows her to play in his band.
John Mulligan

Post by John Mulligan »

I agree; Cindy's got the credentials. I have heard enough of her playing to see how good she is. On this track with Bill K she fits right into the groove, rather than swinging hard out front. She's serving the song here, as always. In my opinion she's a top-line player.
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

Last edited by chris ivey on 10 Dec 2013 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dennis Smith

Post by Dennis Smith »

All I can say is how many years did you play with Asleep at the Wheel, how many Grammys do you have, what year were you inducted in the Texas Steel Guitar Hall of Fame and what year to the Texas Music Hall of Fame?
http://youtu.be/r9KVuLRRnUI
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

carry on
Last edited by chris ivey on 10 Dec 2013 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Thomas

Post by Scott Thomas »

chris ivey wrote:deleted to appease the mediocre majority
I think that there should be a way to talk about the merits of a given performance in a way that focuses on the the music without coming across as chauvinistic and condescending. It can be tough enough making sure our intentions are understood when communicating electronically this way. A little good will and diplomacy can go a long way. Then, let's have a discussion about cliches and tone, and whether the steel adds or detracts from the music. I just don't get where the attitude is coming from.
Peter Graham

Post by Peter Graham »

New Member, posted my 1st comment this A.M. I'm disappointed to see open "bragging" about assaultive behavior on this site, I have no problem making my feelings known on this subject...even if I am a brand new member. Just for the record, C Cashdollars DVD's have been very helpful to me.
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

No question Cindy is one of the finest pro steel players today (not to mention one of the nicest people you'd ever want to meet). The rest is just internet Falderal and Fiddle-dee-dee.
Steel Guitar Books! Website: www.volkmediabooks.com
Tom Snook

Post by Tom Snook »

Don't forget the "Balderdash"!
I wanna go back to my little grass shack........
Liz Williams

Post by Liz Williams »

Thanks for the video. Cindy just keeps getting better. That band did seem to have a steel-sized hole in it.
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

ok..i got weary for a moment, but i'm back. and this isn't dissing anyone. you are all raving about cindy. fine. what i hear 'in this performance' is a rendition of a lap steel being played in the manner of a beginning pedal steel player. that's what i hear plain and simple.
this performance does not show anything to deserve the accolades it is getting. that's my honest opinion! take it for what it's worth.
everyone is entitled to their opinion even if it goes against the popular grain.
i'm sure cindy has played some fine things. this is not an indication of such.
Peter Graham

Post by Peter Graham »

To: Peter Graham
Posted: 10 Dec 2013 1:03pm
Subject: to the new poster Quote message
peter,
this wasn't a case of assault, it was a case of an abusive egomaniac getting knocked down to size deservedly so. i have deleted myself from the thread so as not to ruffle your sensitive feathers.
i'm sure cindy's learning material would help any beginner.
good luck as you acquire experience in the music world. there is a lot more to it than meets the eye.
chris ivey

Please do not send me any more private emails, if you have something to say put it in the public Forum.

Peter
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

quite a power play for your 3rd post pete. it will be my pleasure.
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

the quote from my message to this guy had nothing to do with cindy, by the way. it was something else he misconstrued.
Jeff Au Hoy

Post by Jeff Au Hoy »

Sounds great to me. Listened twice. What kind of stuff is Cindy doing that makes it beginner-like? Just curious. Always interested in improving my own playing.
Bill Brunt

Post by Bill Brunt »

Scott Thomas wrote: let's have a discussion about cliches and tone,
:)
...had to grin.
Listen to the song - the performance, as a whole, and then just to the individual elements.
If she had played in any manner other than cliche, her playing would have been waaay out of place.
:whoa:
Really, what part of the song wasn't cliche?

I am a simple-minded dufus who enjoys a little cliche now and again.
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

jeff..i don't want to put cindy down. i know she's good, popular and lot's of people hire her. this wasn't terrible, i just think she's capable of much more. so i felt the rave reviews were out of place for this. as bill brunt says, the whole tune is pretty cliche. that's part of the problem...made even more noticable by playing a pretty square 3 chord pattern played on the 1,3 n 5 tones pretty much without any real personality. she doesn't milk the tone or sustain and ends the song like you would your first week on pedal steel. kirchen doesn't help by setting her up with his own cliche steel licks. and i love bill kirchen. he's an incredible tele monster. and his bass player and drummer flat ass groove. i've played with them and raved to them about their groove.
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

and to put things in perspective, there are youtube videos of me out there playing worse crap than this. the problem is everybody's filming all the time and they're just going to catch you on uninspired gigs where you have to jam along with something you don't know or don't like or you had to go to the bathroom. i'd feel uncomfortable if someone raved about them.
Scott Thomas

Post by Scott Thomas »

Bill Brunt wrote: Listen to the song - the performance, as a whole, and then just to the individual elements.
If she had played in any manner other than cliche, her playing would have been waaay out of place.
:whoa:
Really, what part of the song wasn't cliche?

I am a simple-minded dufus who enjoys a little cliche now and again.
I'm with you. I'm into traditional music of many kinds. I think of all those little licks, phrases and turnarounds as less "cliche" than part of the musical vocabulary of a given style.

Whether it be Hawaiian, Western Swing, Surf Music or Old-Time/Bluegrass, there are certain things I want and expect to hear as a listener. I also try to incorporate as many of these "cliches" as I can into my own playing. I realize that neither of these things make me the most musically adventuresome person, but then I'm not a musician...I just enjoy listening and trying to emulate the things I like.