Jazz guitarist Jim Hall died

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Andy Volk

Jazz guitarist Jim Hall died

Post by Andy Volk »

An incalculable loss to jazz and the greater art of music. He was a giant.

http://www.npr.org/2010/12/06/120889787 ... tw&cc=twmp
Steel Guitar Books! Website: www.volkmediabooks.com
Bill Hatcher

Post by Bill Hatcher »

one of my favs for sure!! RIP
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

I had the pleasure of meeting Jim Hall a few years ago.

He was a true wizard, with a style all his own.

Here is an example of his brilliance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD6k2E61ABY
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

That's a real shame. RIP.
Brad’s Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

Another shocker. To me, the jazz guitar world without Jim Hall must be viewed as a new chapter - his level of musical and emotional depth is unsurpassed. RIP.
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

When I'm playing at my best, it's because I'm thinking, "What would Jim Hall play?" I could never get there, but it is always something to aspire to.

RIP maestro.
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

In 1958 I was bullied by my older sister into going to see 'Jazz On A Summer's Day' - hearing Jim Hall playing 'The Train And The River' changed my musical landscape for ever.

I don't think I've ever heard a better tone.

RIP, Mr Hall, and thank you.
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Rick Schmidt

Post by Rick Schmidt »

Truly a sad moment in time, finding out about his passing, but his music will live on! Such a gentle spirit!

I tried to play like that in a past life, even getting an ES-175 with a Van Epps Damper... but it just didn't come out the same.

RIP Jim Hall... thanks for the beautiful music!
frank rogers

Post by frank rogers »

A truly great artist and musical "technician".
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

Hall was already at the highest eschalon of artistry 50 years ago ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvwNMhWD3XY

... and only got better with time. Hall proved that chops aren't a-be-all-and-end- all and that one could play great jazz by approaching improv via motifs in a compositional manner. He was a very curious musician whose music didn't calcify the way it did for some of his generation. He explored effects pedals, wrote third stream music and dared to be exposed in duo situations. Metheny, Frisell, - you name 'em - all worship the musical ground he walked on.
Last edited by Andy Volk on 11 Dec 2013 6:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Earnest Bovine

Post by Earnest Bovine »

Roger Rettig wrote:In 1958 I was bullied by my older sister into going to see 'Jazz On A Summer's Day' - hearing Jim Hall playing 'The Train And The River' changed my musical landscape for ever.
'Jazz On A Summer's Day' is on YouTube, including the famous Anita O'Day tune where she she looks kinda "extra happy".
I didn't see Jim Hall. Where is he?
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

With the Jimmy Guiffre Group, I thought. If I've remembered that incorrectly then I'll have to call into question ALL my childhood memories!!!!!

:whoa:
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
Earnest Bovine

Post by Earnest Bovine »

Roger Rettig wrote:With the Jimmy Guiffre Group, I thought.
Affirmative, you can hear him in the first selection of the movie, and see him at 4:38.
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Phew!!!!!! :P
Andrew Roblin

Post by Andrew Roblin »

Andy, thank you for the excellent link to the NPR tribute.

Andrew Roblin
International Sho-Bud Brother & Sisterhood
Member #79, janitor
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

You're very welcome. I hemmed and hawed about buying the 4-disc set of previously unreleased material made available this year from Hall's classic 70s session in Canada. It was a hefty 75 bucks but I resolved to finally buy it today and saw that the 2nd run is sold out. Sigh.

http://www.artistshare.com/v4/Projects/ ... 1/2082/1/6
robert kramer

Post by robert kramer »

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/11/arts/ ... ?ref=music

This is a tough one. Just echoing Roger Rettig statement : "hearing Jim Hall playing 'The Train And The River' changed my musical landscape for ever."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-4ZqhHOFsM

I played it over and over again. I still have the Atlantic LP - thick vinyl like it's supposed to be:

Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Wow! Thanks, Robert - I hadn't heard that in years! It brought a tear to my eye because I had forgotten how important it was to me.

When I was a boy my musical hero was Lonnie Donegan and from '57-'58 Lonnie's guitarist was Jimmy Currie. I didn't realise it back then but now it's so clear to me that Jimmy must have idolised Jim Hall - his tone and style were clearly modelled on Hall's work and Jimmy even had an ES-175!

Now I really want an arch-top again!
robert kramer

Post by robert kramer »

Quote from New York Times obit:

“Tenor saxophonists really influenced the way I play,” he told The Times in 1990. When he was developing his style, he explained, “I’d try and get that lush sound of a tenor saxophone.”

Jim Hall did just that.
Pete Finney

Post by Pete Finney »

One of my favorite musicians ever, any instrument, any genre.

I was lucky enough to see him play many times over the years, starting in the early 70s. Once he told me that he'd started out on "Hawaiian guitar" as a kid because that's what a door-to-door saleman was pushing (Oahu?) but soon switched to Spanish because Charlie Christian was his hero.
Pete Finney

Post by Pete Finney »

Speaking of the film, and "The Train and the River", the guitar "feel" that Jim played in that song seems to have been influential in amazing ways that one would never guess:

Dave Davies of "The Kinks" (he got a few details wrong, but still):

"We were trying out 'You Really Got Me' in the act and a lot of people were surprised by it. It wasn't really pop or rock'n'roll like they knew it, it was something different. And I suppose it just came about by accident anyway, sittin' in me front room, bored...That riff came about – me and Ray went to see a film of the Montreux Jazz Festival, and this group with Jimmy Giuffre and Gerry Mulligan or somebody were doing this song called 'Train on the River', which had this very undercurrent sort of riff going through it..."
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Nice, Pete! It's amazing now to think how it touched me - so I guess there had to be others.

It was my first experience of music painting a picture, as it were. I've just ordered the Jimmy Guiffre 3 CD from Amazon - how could I have been without that music for so long???

It's a great week for music (even if it took Jim Hall's sad passing to wake me up), what with Tommy White's old Carter D-10 arriving here next Tuesday! I hope I can do it some justice, at least.
Michael Johnstone

Post by Michael Johnstone »

The word sublime comes to mind.
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

I used to take guitar lessons with Peter Leitch, who was a student and disciple of Jim. He turned me on to a beautiful record, which was hard to get at the time, Art Farmer's "To Sweden With Love". It's a really special record, with Steve Swallow and Steve LaSpina. All Swedish folk tunes.

Here is a link to one minor key tune with a beautiful solo by Jim : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP1dqSI7XIk

Joe Diorio, another of my favorite guitarists, said seeing Jim Hall one night in the 60s completely changed the way he played.

Joe dedicated this Blues to Jim, and you can hear it. Also with Steve LaSpina on drums: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_2_HM-GJPo
Laurence Pangaro

Post by Laurence Pangaro »

A few years back I happened upon a concert in the piazza of the Italian seaside town of Santa Margarita... and it was Jim Hall! Such an idyllic occurrence. His music that day was so beautiful and interesting. It was somehow intellectual and rarified while remaining so musical and accessible. I remember a standard, something like All the Things You Are. It was played as a duet with the pianist; it sounded like a sort of quasi-free exchange of imitative counterpoint in multiple tonalities - very cool!

LP