explanation for bad attitude

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

chris ivey

explanation for bad attitude

Post by chris ivey »

i've been pretty deaf most of this year due to ear infections complicated by radiation for throat cancer and ongoing cll leukemia. been seeing the ear doctors every month hoping for some remedy. can't hear my girlfriend talk much and can't hear an acoustic guitar when i strum it. worked one or two gigs, but can't anymore til something changes.

went to the hearing aid guy today who wasn't very hopeful and said, ok, medi-cal takes two months to approve this. so i keep getting put back 3 weeks, two months, etc. at a time. supposed to see an ear surgeon but haven't got an appt. yet. maybe a few more weeks. pretty frustrating.
of course i have lots of nerve damage too so it may never be the same. just hoping i can talk to my girlfriend, watch tv (and hear it) and maybe play a little in the future.

lucky you, that leaves me my one other goal in life...terrorizing the forum.
thanks for listening...i wish i could.
Don R Brown

Post by Don R Brown »

Chris, I'm wishing you a speedy recovery. Although there are some who would consider not being able to hear their woman talking as the silver lining on all that..... :wink:
Joachim Kettner

Post by Joachim Kettner »

I am very sorry to hear that Chris, and I like your terrorizing, it wakes me up, which is good.
All the best!
Fender Kingman, Sierra Crown D-10, Evans Amplifier, Soup Cube.
Jack Hanson

At least you have a girlfriend!

Post by Jack Hanson »

Best of luck and hope your hearing comes around and your health improves.
Bent Romnes

Post by Bent Romnes »

Chris, You and I understand each other and you know I mean it when I say "I hope things get better for you" in the near future. As for bad attitude - don't worry. Most of have an attitude that others find fault with. The main thing is to stay the course and be friends despite our differences. It must be tough for a musician to suffer for the reasons you described. Good luck with your recovery. :-)
Jeff Garden

Post by Jeff Garden »

Hang in there buddy :)
Paul Sutherland

Post by Paul Sutherland »

Keep terrorizing!! (Hope NSA doesn't take that the wrong way.) Good luck with the recovery.
J R Rose

Post by J R Rose »

Hey Chris, So very sorry to hear about your condition. I can't think of anything worst than not being able to hear yourself play. I for one know what a super picker you are. I danced many nights to your music at the old Yellow Rose Club. I myself have had to stop playing because of the numbness in my fingers and hands but I still can put on a CD and enjoy. My feelings go out to you and I will put you on my prayer list. Wishing you the very Best, J.R.
Brandin

Post by Brandin »

Chris, I hope all works out for the best.

I have lost a lot of my hearing over the years from playing in LOUD bands. I never listened to any of my girlfriends, and now they yell in my ear. Oh well, still can't understand them.

GB
Larry Tracy

Post by Larry Tracy »

Hang in there Chris. Hope things turn out well for you
Dickie Whitley

Post by Dickie Whitley »

Chris, best wishes for your recovery. Hang in there, I know sometimes it seems just one bad luck after another, but the sun will shine on your corner again.
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

Good luck, Chris. The body has amazing capacity to heal.
Steel Guitar Books! Website: www.volkmediabooks.com
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

I have lost a lot of my hearing over the years from playing in LOUD bands. I never listened to any of my girlfriends, and now they yell in my ear. Oh well, still can't understand them.
You are fortunate among men. As for understanding them, well…

chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

thanx all. yes...i fully intend to get better.
good vibes from you all just helps speed along that process.

i didn't mean to start a pity party thread as much as explain why i just sit around here on the forum so much...just waiting to pounce on someone for using 'there', 'their' or 'they're' incorrectly.
heh heh heh
Earnest Bovine

Post by Earnest Bovine »

hey Chris
Get better but please don't stop terrorizing the Forum.
chris ivey wrote:..just waiting to pounce on someone for using 'there', 'their' or 'they're' incorrectly.
They're's plenty of ignernter stuff than that for you to pounce on.
Buck Reid

Post by Buck Reid »

Chris... let me add my best wishes for an answer regarding your health issues. All the best always!
Bob Russell

Post by Bob Russell »

chris ivey wrote:thanx all. yes...i fully intend to get better.
good vibes from you all just helps speed along that process.

i didn't mean to start a pity party thread as much as explain why i just sit around here on the forum so much...just waiting to pounce on someone for using 'there', 'their' or 'they're' incorrectly.
heh heh heh
DON'T FORGET THE ONES WHO NEVER TURN OFF THEIR @#$%IN' CAPS LOCK KEYS.
Seriously, I hope you get some relief from your troubles soon.
Lots of stringy things, many of them slidey.
Fred Justice

Post by Fred Justice »

Chris I know the frustration of not hearing well.
been 100% deaf in my right ear since I was eight years old and only have 40% in my left ear.

I have never thought of your remarks as insulting or belittling, maybe out spoken. But I adapted to your way of expression early on and have not had a problem with your post.

I do pray for your complete healing Chris, as I want to meet you in person some day. God bless you Chris.
Email: azpedalman@gmail.com
Phone: 480-235-8797
steve takacs

Good luck Bro

Post by steve takacs »

Chris, you are holding up remarkably well with all the bad stuff life is throwing at you at once. I'm a pretty big wimp, so i believe it would be easy to curl up into a ball and just sit and do nothing. Instead you continue to do what you can and use your intelligence and humor and push on doing the things you need to do to overcome this bad luck streak. Waiting for medical help when one needs it immediately is not easy.
Thanks for insightful and pretty humorous insights in our posts, and yes do keep them coming. They get me thinking and laughing. Lord know there are enough deserving "targets" here on The Forum on which to comment.
Is there no way you can get some kind of mini-ampifier to carry inside the ear that would allow you to hear some sound?
Thinking of you and hoping you get well soon. When you do, don't forget to keep the Form posts coming. stevet
Jon Guirl

Post by Jon Guirl »

Barry Blackwood wrote:
You are fortunate among men. As for understanding them, well…

I always thought that picture was Julian Tharpe attempting to explain one of his instrumentals to mere mortals LOL!

But yeah Chris, like someone said upstream - the human body has remarkable healing abilities and I will pray and hope for yours like everyone else here.
Randy Gilliam

Get Better!

Post by Randy Gilliam »

Pray you get Better Chris, your Pal Randy G. :D
Bill L. Wilson

Man, Get Well Soon.

Post by Bill L. Wilson »

Chris, I do Hope and Pray for a complete recovery for you. When I first joined the forum, I wasn't sure how to take you. But now when I see where you've posted something, I have to see what it is. You always crack me up. Keep on keepin' on, and Thanks Man.
Clete Ritta

Post by Clete Ritta »

No explanation required chris. I always enjoy reading your posts. Nothing like a little dose of sarcastic humor to intimidate the uninitiated. :P Your cantankerous style is just calling 'em as you see 'em, no holds barred! Hope you're feeling better soon.
Howard Steinberg

Post by Howard Steinberg »

Chris - Wishing you a full and fast recovery. I have always enjoyed the "edge" to your posts and your sense of humor. It's to your credit to be able to maintain a sense of humor given what you are dealing with. Howard
Justice Pro Lite (4-5), Justice D-10 (8-5)x2 , Quilter Steelaire, Hilton Pedal, BJ's bar.