Zum Stage One or GFI Student Model?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jim Williams

Zum Stage One or GFI Student Model?

Post by Jim Williams »

Well, I have about come to the conclusion that my old Market Rite project guitar is just not going to cut the mustard.

I am looking at buying either a Zum Stage One, if I can locate a used one, or a new GFI student model guitar to learn on.

I have located a GFI 3 pedal 2 lever new for about a thousand dollars. I understand additional knee levers can be added easily and relatively affordably.

From what I've seen and read on here, the Zum may be the better guitar, but I don't currently have a lead on an available one. I'm sorry but I'm not the most patient person in the world and really don't want to wait several months for one to be built. The GFI attracts me to some extent because they are still very actively in business therefore I'm assuming parts would not be a problem if needed.

Any opinions or reviews from current owners would be appreciated.
GFI SM10 3/4, 1937 Gibson EH-150, 2 - Rondo SX Lap Steels and a Guyatone 6 String C6. Peavey 400 and a Roland 40 Amps. Behringer Reverb Pedal.
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

if ou're going to spend $1000 anyway i'd wait for a used pro model carter or sho-bud or something to turn up.
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

On grounds of both build quality and lever count, Advantage; Stage 1.
Try posting in the WTB forum, or talk to Doug.
A new Stage One costs 1049 plus shipping.
As to your impatience, may I point out that's how you got a Mark 1?
I really think you'll get a decent guitar if you put something in the WTB
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Jason Putnam

Post by Jason Putnam »

I have nothing against the GFI student model. Heck I've never even played one. It may be the best thing since sliced bread. But I definitely wouldn't pay a grand for one and then have to add knees to it costing even more. I think the stage one or maybe a justice 3 x 4 would be your best bet. I think the justice is a little more money but by the time you add 2 knees to the GFI you will spend more anyway. I own a stage one and it's great for the price!!!
1967 Emmons Bolt On, 1974 ShoBud Pro 1 3x5,Nashville 112, Quilter TT-12, JOYO Digital Delay, Goodrich Volume Pedal, Livesteel Strings
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

Here's one just a bit above your ceiling, but a fine guitar, and available now.
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=256349
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Wesley Medlen

Post by Wesley Medlen »

You can find some very good used at reasonable prices. I found 2 SD10 BMI's with 3 and five for less than $3000 and they are very easy to set up to your liking.
Justice S10 Jr, Gibson Electra 6string, Boss Katana 100, Steelers Choice ,Gretsch 6 string lap, Hilton VP
Jim Williams

Post by Jim Williams »

Thanks all, I have a couple of good prospects lined up at this point, hopefully one of them will work out.
GFI SM10 3/4, 1937 Gibson EH-150, 2 - Rondo SX Lap Steels and a Guyatone 6 String C6. Peavey 400 and a Roland 40 Amps. Behringer Reverb Pedal.
Karen Sarkisian

Post by Karen Sarkisian »

Stage One
Emmons PP, Mullen G2 and Discovery
Jim Williams

Post by Jim Williams »

Lane Gray wrote: As to your impatience, may I point out that's how you got a Mark 1?
Point taken Lane :)
Curt Trisko

Post by Curt Trisko »

I got a stage one for my first steel almost two years ago. I have no complaints. If I had to do it again, with the foresight of knowing what I know now, I think I may have tempted to get a used S-12 instead. That'll probably be my next steel.
Daniel Policarpo

Post by Daniel Policarpo »

Purchased a Stage One to learn on 15 months ago and it sounds better and better, the better I get. Imagine that! Amplification and technique really infuse the pedal steel with the sound you ultimately are looking to achieve. It's taken me a while, but I can get that metal on metal sounding bend that I like from early Owens-era Brumley, and more and more, I can get in the ballpark where I can imagine that sweet cry from Hughey, for example. I thought getting a "better" instrument might be needed to get those sounds, but it's just me. Not having to worry about mechanical upkeep and having more money for better amplification and instruction have made the Stage One one of the smarter purchases I have made.
Li'l Izzy for Guvner
Lynn Gray
Location: Missouri by way of Virginia, a little Tennessee and with deep Texas roots, USA

Post by Lynn Gray »

StageOne all the way....craftsmanship, tone, ease of pack and play, affordability, Doug's accessibility for any questions, staying in tune....just a fine guitar all the way around! Without a doubt, the most bang for the buck!
Zum Encore, Mullen G2, Walker StereoSteel, Peavey NV112
Jim Williams

Post by Jim Williams »

Seems that Stage One is the winner...now just to find a used one! If I can't locate one soon, I may just go ahead and put an order in with Doug and wait till Feb. or March.
James Taylor

Zum Stage One

Post by James Taylor »

JIM ,I reckon you will be well pleased with the stage one.James Taylor
Jim Williams

Post by Jim Williams »

I'm nearing closing a deal for a used Stage One :)
Jim Williams

Post by Jim Williams »

Well, that one fell through, but I'm proud to say I am about to be the owner of a very nice BMI S10.
Daniel Policarpo

Post by Daniel Policarpo »

that'll work. :lol:
Li'l Izzy for Guvner