Session 400 Limited Refresh/Upgrade

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

James M Banks

Session 400 Limited Refresh/Upgrade

Post by James M Banks »

I have a Session 400 Limited, S/N 9A-03857728. Does anyone know of or recommend any maintenance or upgrades? I've had this amp for about 12 years and played/gigged with it almost every weekend. I've seen a lot of stuff on the web concerning the older Session 400, but i haven't seen a lot on the Limited. I thought about going through and replacing the PS caps and add the bypass caps and also replace the electrolytics between stages with higher quality film type caps as recommended by Brad Sarno's page (excellent page by the way).

Any advice is welcome and appreciated.
Bill Howard

clean pots

Post by Bill Howard »

take the 4 phillips bolts from top of amp out after unhooking reverb and speaker best to lay face down.
buy a can of peavey Gunk out. there are little openings at the top o those pots spay a little cleaner in them turn knobs hit is a little more turn knobs again I dried mine out with q tips. Mine was really scratchy
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

If you're doing that, I'd contemplate upgrading the op amp chips.
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Leland Ogle

Post by Leland Ogle »

I've had two of these amps, still use one of them. One of them had a John LeMay kit installed and the other had chips from Ken Fox. Both amps sounded alot better than a stock amp. Better chips definitely help these amps. I would recommend putting in a neo speaker though.
Lee
Steven Paris

Upgrades

Post by Steven Paris »

All of the above would help! Sarno's recommendations on capacitors are right on the money, and Fox's 2134 opamps are excellent also. The only other addition you may want to consider is upping the power supply capacitors' values. The stock ones are 4700uF, I believe, and the super-clean audio guys will tell you that one low ESL 10,000 uF capacitor per 100 watts per rail is recommended. That would be four caps total.
Jack Hanson

Re: Upgrades

Post by Jack Hanson »

Steven Paris wrote: That would be four caps total.
I got four caps sitting on top of my old LTD 400: Twins, North Stars, Gopher Hockey, and Hamm's Beer. Sounds much better now.
James M Banks

Post by James M Banks »

Thanks for all the input, guys. Can you tell me a bit more about the caps you mentioned? Do you know of a good supplier? I will search and try to find out where to get the upgraded chips.

I never thought about changing the speaker. I thought the BW was "voiced" for steel. Any suggestions on a particular speaker model?

Thanks again. She's been a great amp, but definitely time for a little TLC.
James M Banks

Post by James M Banks »

Oh, and I just got the joke Jack. Funny :lol:
Steven Paris

Supplier

Post by Steven Paris »

Best supplier I have used for all electronic parts is Mouser. Good prices, fair delivery charges, and good service. Capacitors should be low ESL, high ripple rating types---63 volt, 10,000 uF, and probably "audio grade" though they're more expensive.
James M Banks

Post by James M Banks »

Thanks. I'll check them out. Were you able to fit them in the stock cap location? Looking at the chassis and looks like it might be a little tight for the larger caps.
Charlie Shifflett

LTD 400 amp

Post by Charlie Shifflett »

If anyone can help I need to find some Power transistors Ive been told when after playing a little while my amp starts to lose volume it could be
because its old I might have to change the transistors I checked with Peavey they don't have those made Ry G E g2188 C 7710 If any body happens to have or no of a place. Thanks Charlie
Charlie 1969 Emmons p/p 8/5 old pevey ltd400
Thanks
Mike Wheeler

Post by Mike Wheeler »

Charlie, check your email.
Best regards,
Mike
Charlie Shifflett

Old AMP

Post by Charlie Shifflett »

Thanks a bunch Mike I will get with Peavey about the caps I am not to good at electronics if you can come back to me do you thank will have symatics with
with the caps? Thanks again Charlie
Charlie 1969 Emmons p/p 8/5 old pevey ltd400
Thanks
Mike Wheeler

Post by Mike Wheeler »

Charlie, let's talk about this via email...so as to not derail this thread any further.
Best regards,
Mike