barn door squeak

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bernie McCrary

barn door squeak

Post by Bernie McCrary »

I have a GFI E9 and some of the pedals squeak like a barn door as I play. Is there some kind of special lub I can use on it? This is the floor pedals and knee levers. I heard not to use WD 40. It really gets annoying.

Any help will be appreciated.
Thank you
Bernie
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

Which part of the pedal squeaks?
BTW, NEVER use WD 40 as a lubricant, it wasn't meant for that. On anything.
If it's on the axles of the pedals, or the fittings, a little bit of a light oil like 3 in 1 can help.
If it's up on the underside of the guitar, you can put nylon bushings where the rods meet the bellcrank.

Different noises come from different problems, so they'll have different solutions.
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Craig Baker

Noise

Post by Craig Baker »

Hi Bernie,
On my bench it's Tri-Flo to the rescue. As the label says, Tri-Flo is a "Superior Lubricant". It's available in spray or a small bottle. It works very well and stays where you apply it.

ps: I hear squeaking when I play too, but I think it's in my hands.

Happy Thanksgiving

Sincerely,
Craig Baker 706-485-8792

cmbakerelectronics@gmail.com

C.M. Baker Electronics
P.O. Box 3965
Eatonton, GA 31024
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

my favorite for 40yrs..LPS1

similar to tri flo

Tom Wolverton

Post by Tom Wolverton »

I like Tri-flow. Works great and the smell brings up happy mountain bike memories.
To write with a broken pencil is pointless.
Hans Holzherr

Post by Hans Holzherr »

And I thought this thread was about imitating a squeaking door on the steel guitar.... :lol:
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

Bruce Derr

Post by Bruce Derr »

The A pedal on my GFI S-10 squeaked. It turned out to be coming from the hook at the top of the pedal rod. A little oil cured it. I forget what I used; the type probably isn't critical at that location.
Jim Bates

Post by Jim Bates »

Don't forget the volume pedal! I use a Goodrich pot pedal and also a Dekley Lo-Boy pot pedal. Both will develop those type squeaks and 'grunting' sounds if you are barely moving the pedal. Especially if you are activating a right knee lever which can cause you to either relax or push your foot on the vol pedal very slightly, this can cause that sound. Lube the bearing places and also the pulley shaft of the pot - all of which can cause these squeaks and squawks.

(In an emergency, such as playing dinner music in a very quiet venue, I had to use some grease from the hotel kitchen (bacon or whatever) which worked. Afterward at home I cleaned it and oiled it with my 'oil de jour'.)

Thanx,
Jim
Jim Bates

Post by Jim Bates »

Don't forget the volume pedal! I use a Goodrich pot pedal and also a Dekley Lo-Boy pot pedal. Both will develop those type squeaks and 'grunting' sounds if you are barely moving the pedal. Especially if you are activating a right knee lever which can cause you to either relax or push your foot on the vol pedal very slightly, this can cause that sound. Lube the bearing places and also the pulley shaft of the pot - all of which can cause these squeaks and squawks.

(In an emergency, such as playing dinner music in a very quiet venue, I had to use some grease from the hotel kitchen (bacon or whatever) which worked. Afterward at home I cleaned it and oiled it with my 'oil de jour'.)

Thanx,
Jim
Peter den Hartogh

Post by Peter den Hartogh »

Hey Chris! You finally found the CapsLock key!
:lol: :lol: :lol: