cracked skin and playing steel

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Len Amaral

Post by Len Amaral »

OK guys, I don't know if this is the right place to post this? However, it's going to get to 10 degrees today and the older I get the more skin dries and cracks. I have tried all types creams and ointments but it's impossible to hold a steel bar and play steel.

Any thought except washing the stuff off, playing and applying again. In a matter of minutes without gumming myself up again, the skin painfully cracks and dry's out.
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

Tip:
get those thin nitrile gloves, goop your hands good with vaseline or similar, put the gloves on over the goop, let marinade for a few hours before playing. Take them off, wipe your hands then wash them off before playing. You should be good for quite a while.
Also contemplate a humidifier.
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Robert Leaman

Post by Robert Leaman »

Any petroleum base substance will promote skin dryness. If you want to hydrate your skin, use glycerin since glycerin is hydroscopic.
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

OK. but still keep it under the gloves fer awhile
Len Amaral

Post by Len Amaral »

Thanks guys, I am willing to try anything to help this situation. It's 20 degrees now with high winds and supposed to dip lower tonight. Even going outside for a few minutes without goves is brutal.
Kenneth Caine

Post by Kenneth Caine »

Fill cracks with super glue, end of problems.
Kevin Mincke

Post by Kevin Mincke »

I had a similar problem however unrelated to the typical dry and rough cracked hands we see in the colder areas ( up north) which I was not affected by. My hands would split from the inside out due to swelling ( inflammation) and I went for allergy testing and then more advanced testing at the MAYO in Rochester . Not allergic to anything as they really thought it would be stainless or nickel strings bars etc from playing. It was very frustrating as I could barely stand picks on my fingers due to the deep fissures and trout my playing days were numbered.i had tried every type of cream out there to put in my cloth and nitrile gloves to no avail. Long story short, I was allergic to peanut butter, a known inflammatory. Yes, I ate peanut butter daily on toast, evening would be celery, English muffins etc. I loved it. Stopped all pedants and butter.....hands are perfect. I can't tell you how many tubes and bottles of super glue I went thru but it did work. Yes, petroleum based aka Vaseline will dry your hands out but does offer some healing abilities as well. Use well known creams lotions for at night and increase water intake.
Roual Ranes

Post by Roual Ranes »

The best thing I have found is CARMEX lip balm ..........works well on hands and cuticles...found out accidently.
David Nugent

Post by David Nugent »

Len...working an outdoor job, I have experienced this problem for years. The ABSOLUTE BEST product that I have ever used is called, 'Crack Creme'. Do not know if it is available in the Northeast, but here in Va. most CVS stores stock it. Comes in both tubes and small liquid spray bottles which is handy if you are performing a task where you don't want a film on your hands. If you can't locate any, send me your address and I will ship you a tube and a bottle.
steve takacs

cracked skin on heels

Post by steve takacs »

May I assume this information also pertains to cracked skin on the heels? Hope so. Thx, steve t
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

I usually have trouble getting my gloves on over the heels.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Udder Balm is used by many up here in the North country. It was developed for use on cows with cracked teets. It works good on humans too (and not where you might think!) :whoa:
Jr. Watts

Post by Jr. Watts »

Corn Huskers lotion works good for me. It is hard to find in my area though.
Sierra 12/10 gearless, Gibson Console Grand, Homemade dobro, Gretsch 5122, Peavey Session 400 limited, Peavey Classic VTX, Spectra 30-7.
John Gilman

Post by John Gilman »

+1 Corn Huskers Lotion - Magic
74 Sho-Bud ProII
73 Sho-Bud/Surratt/Marrs D-10
72 Emmons PP D-10
69 ZB Custom D-10
Matthew Beall

Cracked Skin

Post by Matthew Beall »

Try Eucerin. You can get it in most drug stores. Work it into your skin and then wipe off any excess.
Good luck!
Matthew Beall

Post by Matthew Beall »

re Eucerin: I forgot to say, you don't apply it to your palms and the underside of fingers. After you rub it into your skin, you can throughly wipe your palms and any areas that will touch the bar.
Walter Glockler

Post by Walter Glockler »

Try "O'Keeffe's Working Hands".
David Bolin

Post by David Bolin »

Super Glue for sure if your finger tips crack and bleed. This also relieves the pain. I've been doing this for years.
George Redmon

Post by George Redmon »

what walter said. we had fuel oil at the cottage for awhile. Man, that stuff will dry ya out like an old baseball glove. Working hands does the job. And use just a tad. No need to greese yaself down like a hog on slop day. Just a bit, works dandy fer me.
Jon Jaffe

Post by Jon Jaffe »

The only substance that moistens skin is water. Ointments (pure oil) and creams(oil and water) will help keep the moisture in. The most efficient way to moisten it is with an occlusive dressing at night. First soak your hands in water until they wrinkle. Then apply an ointment or cream and rubber or nitrile gloves over that. If it is small localized cracks then a bandaid with 1% hydrocortisone (OTC) for a day or two will do the trick. The problem is called dyshydrosis and is common.
Kevin Mincke

Post by Kevin Mincke »

Ouch!

Bobby D. Jones

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

Do you wash dishes? Or do other serious cleaning. Being a bachelor I wash my own dishes and clean. The high powered blue Dawn tears my hands up, but the White Dawn with O'Lay skin conditioner helps my hands a lot. It could be a combination of chemicals and the cold is adding to it. Hope you find the cause and cure. Good Luck in finding a cure. Happy Steelin.
Len Amaral

Post by Len Amaral »

Got the Crack Crème and intensive care lotion. Drinking more water and eating peanut butter. The best result is when you wash your hands to apply the lotions directly to the hands before they dry.

Making progress!...Thanks,

Lenny
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I would 2nd the glycerin. Great for chapped lips and dry skin. Applying it right after washing before the skin dries out is also very important.
My father-in-law (now deceased) was a veterinarian who treated small and large animals. The udder balm is also good if you can get it. It and the Glycerin work really fast. There ia also a hand lotion made by ZEP that works well. We have it at work in the bathrooms and I use it after washing my very dry hands. Works wonders.
regards,
Richard Born
Alan Bidmade

Post by Alan Bidmade »

Trying peanut butter but keep getting nuts on my strings. Am I doing something wrong?
Ben-Rom #017 'Lorelei', Guild D25, Epiphone 'Joe Pass', Roland 40XL, Hilton VP

First name Alan, but known as Nick