Marrs/Surratt Custom D-10 Sho-Bud Professional

Pedal, lap, Hawaiian, resonator ... anything played with a bar
Chuck Walker

Marrs/Surratt Custom D-10 Sho-Bud Professional

Post by Chuck Walker »

Here is a beautiful D-10 Sho-Bud Professional with 8 pedals and 4 knees that went through Duane Marrs/Jeff Surratt's Custom Shop in 2002. It has their custom converted mechanics, including body reinforcer and triple raise triple lower changer. Look carefully at the underside of the guitar and you will see the similarity to the Show Pro mechanics that Jeff builds today.

The cabinet was refinished by AJ Nelson and signed by him and by Lloyd Green. There are no bar dings. Fret boards, pedal rods and legs (std length) were all replaced during the conversion. Both pickups are BL 710's. Setup is Emmons with LKL raising the E's and LKR lowering them. The guitar comes with split foam-lined road cases with wheels on the body case. The original Sho-Bud serial number is 4615.

I bought this guitar from Kevin Hatton in 2004 when he launched his "tone journey" pursuing the West Coast sound and ZB guitars. It has not left my smoke-free studio. According to a note from Kevin when I bought it, "This is an incredible guitar. It's a monster. Enjoy it. You have a collector's piece." I could not agree more.

Jeff Surratt had this to say about the guitar when I corresponded with him. "Yes, we did the mod on that guitar. In fact, it was one of the first ones. That is why the axle is different. At the time we had not found a way to keep the tailplate original, but do now by milling out the underneath for the fingers to move enough. That guitar was going to be my personal guitar, but I sold it when building a new house. It really is a great one."

Price is $2,850 firm plus shipping and insurance from zip code 82414. No trades. The assembled guitar weighs 50 pounds, the body case 28 pounds and the pedal board case 21 pounds for a total of 99 pounds (excluding packing materials). Payment may be made by certified bank check or postal money order. The first person to commit to purchasing via email gets it (no PM's please). My email address on file with the Forum is current. Just click on the Email button at the bottom of this post.

Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

That guitar was on stage with many Nashville acts I opened for including Trick Pony and Sawyer Brown. I would buy this guitar back in a heart beat if things were just a little different. This guitar has the classic Sho-Bud wood tone and you can get that classic sound from it. It also plays like a Cadillac. Someone is gonna be a lucky owner.
Chuck Walker

Post by Chuck Walker »

Thanks, Kevin, for the additional background information on the guitar and for the support. Hope all is well with you.
Jody Cameron

Post by Jody Cameron »

In the third photo from the bottom (the one showing the right end plate) why do the nylon tuning nuts appear to be bent at several different angles?
Chuck Walker

Post by Chuck Walker »

Jody, it appears that the angles result from one of two things. Either the pull rod is located in one of the outer most holes of a bell crank that is close to the changer (they each have 10 holes) or the bell crank is mounted on the shaft for clearance purposes not perfectly in line with the changer finger. The wide angle lens of the camera also exaggerates the apparent angles of the tuning nuts. When looking at the end plate with the naked eye, the angles are not nearly so obvious.

Both Kevin and I can attest to the fact that this does not affect the playability of the guitar. It has a very smooth action.
Chuck Walker

Post by Chuck Walker »

Here is a straight-on shot of the E9 changer and, as you can see, the angles are not nearly as pronounced.

Jody Cameron

Post by Jody Cameron »

Thanks for the clarification, Chuck. I did not mean to imply that there was a playability issue or anything, I was just curious. I can see now that the camera angle probably exaggerated the apparent degree of angle on the pull rods.

Good luck on the sale of this very nice axe!
Kenneth Kotsay

Post by Kenneth Kotsay »

Great looking Bud, what's the age of this beauty?

KEN
Chuck Walker

Post by Chuck Walker »

According to Duane Becker's history of the Sho-Bud guitar, the Professional was made between 1970 and 1973.
Stephen Dorocke

Post by Stephen Dorocke »

Absolutely beautiful guitar>> And the photo you use for your avatar is of another guitar that ain't too shabby either! Eddie's the man>> And what a fine house for these fine instruments! Bravo!
Chuck Walker

Post by Chuck Walker »

Thanks for the nice compliments, Stephen. I remember seeing a photo on the Forum of your stable of three Fulawkas.....absolutely outstanding. Eddie is the man....no question about it. If you ever run across one of Eddie's late model S-10's, please let me know.
Will Cowell

Post by Will Cowell »

Heh heh, if you hafta ask you can't afford it! :-)
Williams 700 series keyless U12,
Sierra keyless U14, Eezzee-Slide & BJS bars
Moth-eaten old Marshall 150 combo
Roland Cube 80XL, Peterson Strobo+HD,
EarthQuaker Despatch Master for reverb / delay
Chuck Walker

Post by Chuck Walker »

TTT