One I'de never heard of.

Steel guitar web sites, videos and recordings on the Internet

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Dave Seddon

One I'de never heard of.

Post by Dave Seddon »

I was listening to my local radio station, (BBC Leicester) last week at work and they did an interview with P.J.Proby, at the end of which they played one of his numbers which I had never heard before. I really liked the number so I searched the internet and found a copy of it. I learnt it (as best I could) and with the help of good old BIAB and my old keyboard this is the result. Poppy was just being her usual nosy self but she's an inspiration. Hope you like it.
Dave.

http://youtu.be/_Li5LX5yGFY
Carl Kilmer

Post by Carl Kilmer »

Hi Dave. That a very pretty tune and I never heard before either.
That's my kind of music and I think you did very good playing it.
I like your smooth style of playing and your tone is also very good.
aka "Lucky Kay"--Custom built Rittenberry SD10 3X5, Walker S/S, NV-112, and Hilton Pedal
Charles Campbell

Nice

Post by Charles Campbell »

That's really nice playing Dave, great tone from the Carter, I hear some nice effects, what are you using?

Charles
Dave Seddon

Post by Dave Seddon »

Thank you Carl and Charles for your nice comments, Charles what you hear is a Carter Starter with an Ernie Ball JR volume pedal into an old Digitech RP 150 using a bit of reverb and delay straight into a soundblaster live soundcard. I just found a slightly different version of this on Youtube by Slim Whitman.
Thanks again Dave.
Stan Paxton
Location: 1/2 & 1/2 Florida and Tenn, USA (old Missouri boy gone South)

Post by Stan Paxton »

Dave, really like that tune, pure country and pretty. Good smooth playing and great sound. :D
Mullen Lacquer SD 10, 3 & 5; Mullen Mica S 10 1/2 pad, 3 & 5; BJS Bars; LTD400, Nashville 112, DD-3, RV-3, Hilton VP . -- Gold Tone PBS sq neck; Wechter Scheerhorn sq neck. -- "Experience is the thing you have left when everything else is gone." -anon.-
Bob Hickish

Post by Bob Hickish »

Dave
I’d say you learnt it real well -- superb pick’n and a grate tune
Thanks for sharing
Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

Very nice Dave - good tone and concise intonation. Funnily enough I bought a Carter D10 yesterday (bought unseen), but won't get it until I go to the States in March. You are still playing well mate.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Infinity SD10 (4+5) Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
Dave Seddon

Post by Dave Seddon »

Thank you Ken for the compliment, d'you know I was only thinking about you the other day wondering if you got round to doing a You tube with the Show Pro yet. Really would love to see and hear it.
Cheers Dave.
Dale Rottacker

Post by Dale Rottacker »

Dave I thought I'd heard you do this just recently...I was right, I had commented on Youtube, (steelinatune)...but will now add my comments here...You did a beautiful job on a very pretty tune...the more I hear Carter's sounding like this, the more I think I'd like to try one.

Thanks for posting,

Dale
Dale Rottacker, Steelinatune™
*2021 MSA Legend, "Jolly Rancher" D10 10x9
*2021 Rittenberry, "The Concord" D10 9x9
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com
David Nutt

Post by David Nutt »

Getting lots of compliments Dave, all well deserved, nice tune and as the guys say 'well played'
keep em coming.
Dave Seddon

Post by Dave Seddon »

Thank you Dale and Dave for your comments. Dale this guitar is only a Carter Starter which I bought to keep me going until I finish building, actually re-building a guitar which I built as a college project back in 1981. Dave How long was you with Patsy Powell? She was a rum'un, great singer and always used to call the lads "My wee Darlin's" in her husky Irish accent. Have to have a catch up sometime. Cheers for now.
Dave.
David Nutt

Post by David Nutt »

Dave- Carter Starter of Franklin,doesnt make much difference if you dont have it in the hands, you do.
Patsy? blast from the past, I was with her during mid/late 70s for about 18 months,fun fun days.I followed lap steeler Jim Hunter into her band not sure but have a feeling you followed me,is that right?
Dave Seddon

Post by Dave Seddon »

That's right Dave, I was with her for about 2 years then Arthur James after me. Happy days as they say.
Arthur James

Post by Arthur James »

Yes, that's correct Dave N & Dave S I joined Patsy & & The G T's In 1975. My first gig was on September 16th, 1975. First recording session was October 1975 (for BBC Radio 2 's Country Club) I stayed with the band until March 1984 (few, apply days eh?)
Carter Single 12 (E maj 13th) ZB D-10. Kemper Profiling Amplifier. Fender Twin 1978. POD XT Pro. POD XT Live.