Volume pedal crackle

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Joseph Kincher

Volume pedal crackle

Post by Joseph Kincher »

I'm having an issue with my (practically) new Hilton pedal, but I suspect the problem is not the pedal itself, and thought I'd bounce it off the forumites before bothering Keith.

Basically it's this: I''m generating crackling sounds (more like clicks and pops, maybe) when engaging the pedal, similar to a potentiometer issue, only it's a Hilton, so no pots. I had a similar issue with my Goodrich, even after replacing the pot, and now I'm thinking the problem lies elsewhere.

The guitar is only a year old, the Hilton is new, and I'm experiencing crackle on both of my amps. So it's gotta be the cables, right? I seem to remember Greg Cutshaw mentioning that one's cables could have a negative effect on a VP. My cables seem to be fine-- crackle only happens when engaging the pedal--and they're not old, but they're not "high end" either. So what needs to happen here, exactly?

Thanks in advance, fellas.

Joe
Eric Dahlhoff

bad contacts?

Post by Eric Dahlhoff »

I live in a pretty humid environment (coast of northern Cal.)
I have to clean cable plugs & jacks fairly regularly. Also the power plug on my Hilton. I finally started using Caig DeoxIt and don't have to clean as often.
http://www.parts-express.com/caig-deoxi ... z--341-200
"To live outside the law you must be honest." (Bob Dylan)