Cal Worthington, LA country icon

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Lee Barber

Post by Lee Barber »

Even though I life south of Houston, I remember Cal and his Dog Spot. God Bless you Cal. Thanks for the memories
Fessenden, Emmons PP D10
Alvin Blaine

Post by Alvin Blaine »

Lee Barber wrote:Even though I life south of Houston, I remember Cal and his Dog Spot. God Bless you Cal. Thanks for the memories
He had a dealership in Houston, along with the commercials, back in the '70s through the '80s.
At one time he had dealerships in Anchorage, Alaska; Phoenix, Arizona; Carlsbad, California; Claremont, California; Folsom, California; Long Beach, California; Sacramento, California; South Gate, California; Reno, Nevada; Houston, Texas; Sugar Land, Texas; and Federal Way, Washington.
At the time of his death he still owned the ones in Anchorage, Long Beach, and Carlsbad, and had an annual net income of $600 million.
LJ Eiffert

Post by LJ Eiffert »

It's been said that Sammy LaMasters was Cal's X son in law. So,if you want a better deal go see Hal! That's what ole Lou Martin would say.May they all RIP and have a great time in Heaven. Sure do miss them all here on earth. :( Uncle Leo J.Eiffert,Jr.
John Gretzinger

Post by John Gretzinger »

Cal's Corral was one of the must watch shows for me on the weekends. That's were I first discovered the Steel Guitar and fell in love with the sound.

Thanks Cal for all the memories, music, movies and great commercials.

jdg
MSA D-10 w/Nashville 400
'63 Gibson Hummingbird
16/15c Hammered Dulcimer
Steve Schell

Post by Steve Schell »

I attended Cal State Long Beach in 1975 and 1976. By then he had established Worthington Ford of Long Beach, after endless TV ads for Worthington Dodge in Downey. At some point Cal Worthington gave a speech in the central outdoor meeting area on campus. Geez, he seemed old then, and that was 37 years ago! He spoke of buying an old car, fixing it up and selling it on his parents' front lawn, which provided funds to buy a couple more old heaps to fix up and sell. His business grew directly from there: he was a self made entrepreneur. Cal was a marketing genius, was funny as heck, and exemplified everything that a man could become in this land of opportunity.
Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

Jerry your right about Ralph Williams he was Leons /GM if I remember right at one time..Leon did own 4 Ford dealerships at one time. I'm not sure if Leon took over the Ford dealerships when Ben Alexander (Dragnet) died but I remember going to his Parts dept for a Top Motor for my 53 Caddie convertible. . Frankie Lane took over LEE Whites Rambler. Heck you got to remember I'm 76 and I'm even glad I remember anything that far back. :lol: :oops:
Wayne Franco

I remember Cal Worthington too

Post by Wayne Franco »

I grew up in So.Cal so you couldn't miss him. After looking at that youtube video of him I am realizing how much of a dare devil he really was. Dang, sticking you head in a Orca's mouth seems crazy. That snake he was handling was an anaconda. Not the most friendly of constrictors that's for sure.
LJ Eiffert

Post by LJ Eiffert »

Cal's twin did a lot of fillins for him. So was it cal or was it hal? He (Cal) was a big part of who helped make The Academy Of Country & Western music put on the map here in Southern California in the early days of it lifetime of what it is today The ACM. Someday all the right Credits will be put in it's right place in the true History of The Academy Of Country Music here in Southern California. But,I do know that most people here in to days world could care less. :whoa: The God Father Of Southern California Country Music Uncle Leo J.Eiffert,Jr. ;-)