Bill Lawrence

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Dave Bertoncini

Bill Lawrence

Post by Dave Bertoncini »

Becky just posted on Facebook that Bill Lawrence has died.
Kurt Kowalski

Post by Kurt Kowalski »

I am sorry to say... This is true.

Bill, has passed on.

I can't write much right now as my heart is breaking and I cannot stop the tears yet.

Billy was my friend, my mentor, my teacher and my adopted Father.

He taught me so much and passed on knowledge to me that is priceless.

We had fun together, we built pickups together, we designed together, we experimented together, we traveled together and we argued together(lol) ... I Loved Bill with my heart.

He will live on forever in my heart and in many of your guitars.

Rest in peace now my friend, my pal, my Poppa... I love you

-kk-
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Sad to hear. :( What an amazing genius that man was!

Bill would sit me down at his booth at ISGC and *instruct me* ;) in everything from electronics, pickup design, Albert Einstein, hiding from Nazis in WW2, on becoming a Jewish atheist, what players were the best European jazz guitarists, et al., and then sing the most plaintive, beautiful ballads in Yiddish that, even without knowing the language, you could feel the heartbreak. He was a wonderful guitarist, BTW.

Kurt, you and Becky have my condolences.

How old was Bill? Mid-80's perhaps?
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Condolences. Sad to see a friend pass on. I first met Bill in Germany when he played at show at the Airman's Club on Hahn Air Base back in the 50's.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Jerry Sherbahn

Bill

Post by Jerry Sherbahn »

When I was in the army in Germany playing clubs on the side, I seen Bill in Germany in 1963. He was playing the American armed forces clubs. He was wearing a suit and tie and playing a Fender Jazzmaster. Great player, played all kinds on styles, even Chet. My condolences to his family
Richard Ingley

Post by Richard Ingley »

Albert Talley has asked me to post this for the TEXAS STEEL GUITAR ASSOCIATION. Our club wishes to express our condolances to all of Bill's family. We appreciated his friendship and will miss him. Please keep us updated pertaining to the plans for the service, etc. Thanks
Barney Y. Miller

Post by Barney Y. Miller »

Bill will certainly be missed. I've used his pickups for the past 16 years and never had one that didn't perform up to his very high standards. Getting to know him better at the 1996 convention in St. Lewis where he had his booth between Herby Remington and myself, Herby and I had no trouble at all hearing him demonstrate his pickups. lol He was a fine human being and we will all miss him.
Tommy Young

Post by Tommy Young »

My sincere condolences to his family and friends during this time of mourning,,, May GOD BLESS
TOMMY YOUNG
MAX-TONE MODIFICATIONS
BMI dealer,Classic VIBE 100 amp... SIT strings..
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

So sorry to hear this, he was a fine man and also very important to this business. He was a true innovator in a business that is actually pretty conservative and stuck on convention. And of course he was also a real fine guitar player. The first time I heard him I was taken aback.

I used to see him at NAMM when I was doing NAMM, and we'd talk and talk about pickups and musical electronics in general - I think he cut me some slack on the 'instruction' thing (LOL) because I'm trained as an electrical engineer. I never tired of talking with him or listening to him play, my colleagues used to have to drag me away to 'do some business'. My deepest condolences to his family and friends.
Bob Blair

Post by Bob Blair »

Bill was an original and clearly a brilliant guy. I often remember and talk about the time I spent with Bill and Becky over the course of one particular ISGC. I received some of the same kind of "instruction" Herb speaks of. Condolences to all his friends, and of course to Becky.
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

RIP Willi Stich. Condolences to his family and friends.
Paul King

Post by Paul King »

This is a huge loss. May God comfort the family during this time of grief.
Jerry Van Hoose

Post by Jerry Van Hoose »

My thoughts and prayers are with Bill's family. I met Bill a few years ago at the T.S.G.A. Jamboree in Dallas. He was an unforgettable gentleman, meant in a very nice, complimentary way. May Bill rest in peace.
Dave Van Allen

Post by Dave Van Allen »

As I posted on FB, I have a fond memory of travelling to Bethlehem PA with my then toddler son to Bill & Becky's factory/shop. I had a mystery distortion problem with the 712 that came with my Zum. While my son played on the floor with a pile of Pickup pole pieces Bill evaluated the distortion I'd experienced (single notes were fine- doublestops or chords had a "fizzy" ghost ), having me play my rig set as per usual as he listened carefully. I spent a long afternoon getting schooled in nuances of Q and Henrys as Bill filled a legal foolscap page with scrawled specs. Becky then took that page and proceeded to custom wind a replacement for me for no charge. A custom wound Lawrence pickup and the personal attention of a genius.

Jimbeaux Cohen, Ed EBB Bierley, Bob Hofnar and I (as well as some fellows who's names escape me-sorry) also participated in a fine jam session at the same location some time later before Bill left for California.

I'm glad I got to meet him and to share the little time I did with the Maestro.
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Really bad news. His family and friends will be in my thoughts. RIP Bill.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

Sad news indeed - Another good guy leaves us
i knew Bill when he worked w: Dan Armstrong in the Village in New York in the early 70s
he was a interesting character without a doubt
RIP Bill
My condolences to his family

(got 710s on my Zum)
Last edited by CrowBear Schmitt on 6 Nov 2013 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Hatcher

Post by Bill Hatcher »

just too bad!!!

i called him for some tech info. he would talk for hours and play the guitar over the phone! lol one year at a namm show..i bought every pickup in his booth.

i loved the sound of his pickups for all sorts of instruments.

he will be appreciated even more as time goes on and the rest of us try to catch up to him!

RIP mr lawrence
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

I loved his long, rambling talks at St. Louis steel shows! His 912 pickup makes my Mullen sing. RIP, Bill.
E9 INSTRUCTION
▪️ If you want to have an ongoing discussion, please email me, don't use the Forum messaging which I detest! steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
Wiz Feinberg

Post by Wiz Feinberg »

Bill Lawrence was not just my pickup builder, but also a personal friend. He will be missed.

See notice at: http://www.billlawrence.com/
"Wiz" Feinberg, Moderator SGF Computers Forum
Security Consultant
Twitter: @Wizcrafts
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog
Chris Dorch

Post by Chris Dorch »

RIP...
Papa Joe Pollick

Post by Papa Joe Pollick »

Condolences from the Pollick family..I still have several of his pickups in my guitars..
Malcolm McMaster

Post by Malcolm McMaster »

Sad news ,my condolences to his family and friends.
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.
Chris Boyd

Post by Chris Boyd »

Bill's pickups are in my tele and one of my strats..such sad news..he was beyond remarkable...my condolences to his family...
Hiro Keitora

Post by Hiro Keitora »

I remember I brought Abe Rivera(then guitar builder for Kevin Eubank of NBC Tight show)with me to Bill and Becky in Pennsylvania--

I remember visiting them in Riverside County after they moved to CA--

RIP, Bill-
Al Vesel

Bill Lawrence's passing

Post by Al Vesel »

Anyone that has played thru an original chrome housing 705 pup knows how great they are !! Need I say more??

Rest in Peace Bill. My prayers go out to the family.

Al V.
Emmons LeGrande SKH D-10 - WALKER STEREO STEEL AMP w JBL ENCLOSURES & TC ELECTRONICS M-ONE XL PROCESSOR, HILTON VP,FURMAN POWER CONDITIONER, SARNO's Steel Guitar BLACK BOX,BJS,ToneMaster bars,FENDER Strat, FENDER & Ovation acoustic's