gauged rollers MSA Millenium string question

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Niels Andrews

gauged rollers MSA Millenium string question

Post by Niels Andrews »

OK, all you PSG wizards: I wanted to try a certain brand of strings on my U-12, so I ordered the proper string gauge as Reece told me to use. Now there is a buzz on strings 6,7, 8 10 at frets one and two with light bar pressure. Of course you can dampen it out by increasing pressure, but I like light bar pressure.
So I will go back to the original strings, but when you buy a certain diameter of string, it shouldn't vary along the string, and it is on the wound strings only. I think I will get a micrometer and compare the strings or could the string narrow as you add tension? Ideas anyone?
Die with Memories. Not Dreams.
Good Stuff like Zum S-12, Wolfe Resoport
MSA SS-12, Telonics Combo.
Bobby D. Jones

gauged rollers MSA Millentium string question

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

Sounds like the 9th string is your problem. Is that string the same diameter as the old strings you removed?? (MEASURED DIAMETER NOT WHAT THE PACKAGE SAYS IT IS. Maybe the string was put in the wrong package where it was originally packed). Have the rollers been removed for cleaning or lubing? If you have a dial caliper or micrometer measure grove diameter on rollers. Divide diameter by 2 to get the radius, Add the measured diameter of the string to the radius of the roller. Doing this measurement to the roller and the string clear across the neck. The string and roller measurement should be nearly exactly the same or a even taper clear across the neck. I would say either the string is the wrong size, or the rollers have got switched some way. A Good Dial caliper is one of the best friends a person can have working with a mechanical monster like a Steel Guitar. Hope you find the problem and get your baby back to making beautiful music.
Jim Palenscar

Post by Jim Palenscar »

Especially when considering the disparity of string gauges in a universal tuning setup, unless you are using custom gauged rollers- manufactured w each string gauge in mind, you will have buzzing near the nut. This is not nearly as problematic w E9th tuning as it turns out the gauges lend themselves nicely to a fairly nice plane (until the 1st and 2nd strings are introduced). The C6th gauges are better than uni's for sure but still not perfect.