steel player with gary stewart?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

...and you can't try to sing or sell a song like gary. it only happens that way if you've got the feeling and the passion and whatever good or bad that creates that type of performance. you want to be careful doing songs that the emotional monsters have done. especially if you try to sound like them...you end up looking very silly.
AMEN to that Chris.
Ricky Davis
Email Ricky: sshawaiian2362@gmail.com
Steve Dodson

Gary Stewart

Post by Steve Dodson »

I have always loved hearing him sing Whiskey Trip.
Sounds a lot like Weldon Myrick on that one.
Anyone know for sure? Super steel playing either way :)
dlaurice

Post by dlaurice »

Someone posted a link to a Youtube live version of An Empty Glass above. Here is a link to a more polished version on the Live at Billy Bob's album. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt76ZkLHtfI
Is this also Steve Palousek? I always liked Gary Stewart, in part because of the great steel playing on all of his recordings. When I stumbled across this song a couple of years ago, I was struck by, not just the great steel work, but by the singing and the song itself (probably only 40 words or so total). I thought, this man is singing about his life! I was moved at the time to research Gary and quickly learned the sad and tragic end of the story. If I were to make a list of my favorite country drinking songs, Gary would dominate. An Empty Glass is my favorite. A Brand New Whiskey from the same album is also high on the list. No one has ever done a better rendition of Whiskey Trip. That doesn't even get to his hits. To echo someone else from above, his music is infectious. RIP Gary Stewart.
Greg Wisecup

Post by Greg Wisecup »

Derby SD-10 4&5 Black!(duh)/
Derby D-10/Steelers Choice/
Goodrich 120/ 2- Katana Boss 100's
/Nashville 400
RV-3/ Zoom MS-50G
As long as I'm down in the mix I'm Fantastic!