****New West Texas Steel Guitar School****9/13 & 9/14

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

Clinton Damron

Re: 24 more days

Post by Clinton Damron »

Richard Smelker wrote:Only 24 more days to wait until steel school.... but then, whose counting? :D :D :D

(besides me!)
My countdowns this time of year are for hunting seasons 8)
Archery- BowTech Destroyer & Strother SX-1
Steel Guitar- Emmons & Stage One
Lee Barber

Post by Lee Barber »

Larry,
New job starts Sept 9th, I'll be in training that week so some of the training will consist of Steel Guitar at The West Texas Steel Guitar School!!!!!!!!
So it looks as though I will be there.
Looks as though this job goes till May 1st 2014 and possibly another behind it to make about 2 years total. That would be great. Contract work is good and bad, Great pay, but sometimes you don't know where the next check is coming from.
See you down the Road.
Lee
Fessenden, Emmons PP D10
Larry Toliver

Post by Larry Toliver »

Glad to hear from everyone. Lee, that is good news that you are getting to make it. Clinton, I hope you have good luck dove hunting while you are here. You can bring a fold up chair and hunt 200 yards east of my house. Richard.....2 weeks now til steel school, but who's counting...(me). AND we are up to 8 students, which is perfect and full. Just got commitments and payment from Joe Shephard, Tony Tims, and my first student from Australia is coming...Neil Fullwood. Just visited with Jim Loessberg, and we are planning a great school. WIsh you all could have been here. BUT......there will be another one when you decide you are ready. I'm gearing up for the 1st C6TH CLASS as well after the 1st of the year. I know there are 4 or 5 who have been holding out. I would like a message if you really want to attend a good C6th class, and we may extend it for a 3 day school. Call me if you have any questions or needs.
Larry Toliver
www.westtexassteelguitarschool.com
Larry Toliver

Post by Larry Toliver »

Only 10 days now til STEEL SCHOOL. I'm as excited as the 1st school 2 years ago. People from Arizona, Arkansas, Texas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, and wow....Australia. I hope to see you in the future at the West Texas Steel Guitar School.
Larry T
Richard Smelker

Post by Richard Smelker »

:D :D :D :whoa: :whoa: :D :D :D

6 Days until the steel school - I am excited!!!!!!
Richard Smelker
assorted 6 & 12 string guitars, Sho-Bud Maverick to play on, a Roland Cube 80Xl, a Peavey 130, Digitech digital Delay, distortion pedal, Melotron pedal, Keyboards and a MOYO pedal.
A new DAW system that I'm using to create a Christian music CD of original songs. Ordained Minister, Riding for the Brand of Jesus Christ.
Larry Toliver

Post by Larry Toliver »

Well Fellow Steelers......It's Monday evening....4 days away from STEEL SCHOOL on September 13th & 14th. We have a nice class of 8 attending from many different states. Jim Loessberg will be here with lots of great things and ideas to teach. We will cover basics, picks, their shape & position, bar techniques & pressures & vibrato, chords (many positions and inversions), melodic jams with 5 or 6 different notes only, the number system, how to interpret different chords, chord melodies, and everything we can throw at you to gear you up to the next level. We will have tabs of chords, tabs of melodies, tabs of songs, tabs of endings, tabs of intros, and that Favorite lead you've been always wanting to learn & play! Oh yes...and some speed pickin'! It will be present as well! Wish you all could have been here with us. But....there will be another! See ya'll when you get here!
Larry Toliver
www.westtexassteelguitarschool.com
325.518.3947 cell
Lee Barber

Post by Lee Barber »

Looking forward to this weekend Larry. Being from Texas I always hear people talk about our Texas hospitality, I have traveled a good deal of this country and found hospitality in a lot of states, but everyone is
in for a treat with Larry, his lovely wife, and his mother, these people are very hospitable and open there home to you.
See y'all Friday
Fessenden, Emmons PP D10
Lee Barber

Post by Lee Barber »

Looking forward to this weekend Larry. Being from Texas I always hear people talk about our Texas hospitality, I have traveled a good deal of this country and found hospitality in a lot of states, but everyone is
in for a treat with Larry, his lovely wife, and his mother, these people are very hospitable and open there home to you.
See y'all Friday
Fessenden, Emmons PP D10
Richard Smelker

IT'S HERE :whoa: :whoa: :whoa: ... Finally :D :D :D

I am leaving tomorrow for the hotel and Friday starts the class... YEAH !!!!
Richard Smelker
assorted 6 & 12 string guitars, Sho-Bud Maverick to play on, a Roland Cube 80Xl, a Peavey 130, Digitech digital Delay, distortion pedal, Melotron pedal, Keyboards and a MOYO pedal.
A new DAW system that I'm using to create a Christian music CD of original songs. Ordained Minister, Riding for the Brand of Jesus Christ.
Richard Smelker

Just a quick note on the school - AWSOME!!

Thanks to Larry & Jim Loessberg for a great school. Now all I have to do is put the info to use and Practice, practice, practice!!!!

The other people in the class were great to be around and I agree with Jim that steel guitar players are the best musicians to be around.

A special thanks to Susie for preparing the food for lunch and being the fantastic hostess for us - Thank you!!!

I left tonight with a brain fried, sore fingers and a glimmer of hope that I may even learn how to play the steel!!

Thanks again all
Richard Smelker
Mack Quinney

Great Experience

Post by Mack Quinney »

Well, back home from the West Texas Steel Guitar School. Now I get to unpack everything I learned! And it was a bunch!

Great school, good people, and I got a LOT out of it. Larry is a fine host and did a great job of starting from the beginning and progressing to more complex stuff as we went. I especially appreciate the lesson on the scales and the speed picking, (both things I need!) It was interesting to see how both could fit into a song without much modification! Great job and thank you Larry for a great experience!

Jim did a wonderful job on the second day explaining how you can take a simple lick and start to make many more licks out of it. Also got to pick Jim’s brain to a great extent as well as hear him play. (Both Larry and Jim are outstanding players, worth the price of admission by itself!)

A special thanks to Susie for hosting and preparing the noon meal for us on Saturday! That was a special treat! I appreciate both you and Larry opening your house to us! I promise, next time I will do the dishes!

Anyone having second thoughts about attending one of these don’t. I certainly got a lot out of it, and Larry tries to address everyone’s questions and needs.

Ok, Larry! You best start planning that C6 Class!

Thanks again to all.

Mack
76 Emmons Push Pull, Williams 600, ShoBud Pro I, MSA Classic, Remington SteelMaster dbl 8, MSA Super Slide dbl 8, Gold Tone 6, And other instruments and equipment I can't afford.
Larry Toliver

Post by Larry Toliver »

THanks for all of the nice complements. We did have a great class of 9 steel students. The attended from several states and even one student from Australia. We had a great time and started from the beginning and progressed to a much broader scope of learning and teaching. This was a beginner to intermediate E9th class and I had as my guest teacher....Jim Loessberg. I've attached a picture of the students and myself and Jim.
We had 4 of these students want a C6th class, so we are scheduling it for middle February 2014. So give me a call if you are wanting some C6th teachings. I have already talked with Jim, and he will be my partner at the C6th class as well. Get ready and GEAR UP for the 1st West Texas Steel Guitar School C6th beginner to intermediate hot rod class. We are going to start with the PREACHER, scales, All MY EXES LIVE IN TEXAS, scales, ETC...scales....scales and of course...CHORDS...BIG FAT CORDS. Be ready to hit the ground running!
Clinton Damron

Post by Clinton Damron »

As already stated, it was a great school. I came away from this class feeling a lot better about my chances of learning to play this crazy instrument. I actually understood a lot of what taught this time and will be practicing daily.

A big thanks to Larry and Jim for answering my questions and being patient. I look forward to coming to another school in the future.
Archery- BowTech Destroyer & Strother SX-1
Steel Guitar- Emmons & Stage One
Tony Tims

West Texas Steel Guitar

Post by Tony Tims »

Here are some pictures from the school. I enjoyed it and hope to make it back for the C6 class.

'83 MSA Classic SS D-10 8+8, Peavey Session 400 & NV 112, BJS Bars, Pod XT, Steel Seat by Joe Naylor, Goodrich L120.