Thumbpick

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Jim Kelley

Thumbpick

Post by Jim Kelley »

Hi Guys and gals!
I've been playing steel now for about 3 months and I'm getting better but one problem that has plagued me from the beginning (and still does) is that I keep getting my bloody thumbpick caught in the strings! Is this just a neophyte "thang" that I just need to tolerate or is there something I can do about it. I use a large National thumbpick.
Thanks to everyone in advance, Jim
Don Sutley

Post by Don Sutley »

Jim,

I use a medium National thumbpick that I cut part of the end off with a pair of scissors and then filed smooth. That helped considerably.
George Keoki Lake

Post by George Keoki Lake »

Be sure you have the correct size of thumb pick. Those with long shafts are not all that great. Also, keep your thumb well ahead of your finger picks when picking. Keep working at it and you'll soon become accustomed.
Tim Rowley

Post by Tim Rowley »

Jim, no 2 people's thumbs are exactly the same, so sometimes it becomes necessary to slightly modify a thumbpick. For instance mine. With most thumbpicks I wind up having to remove a little of the material on the end of the thumb band and sanding or filing it smooth for 2 reasons: to keep it from occasionally catching on strings and to keep from getting a hard painful callous on the cuticle of my right thumb. So I modify my pick, it works great, and all's well.

Keep in mind that there are other thumbpicks available that work just as well (and in some cases better) than your National pick and won't wear out as quickly. But you as a player are the final judge as to what pick ultimately works best for you. Try 'em all, they're cheap. When you find the right one, buy several.

Tim R.
Dave Brophy

Post by Dave Brophy »

I couldn't find much selection locally,so I ordered a variety of thumb and fingerpicks from Elderly. http://www.elderly.com/accessories/Fingerpicks.html

It was worth it to me to waste a few bucks to find what was comfortable to me.

I like the "Slick Pick" thumbpicks.Short,stubby ends and they feel natural to me.

Jerry Johnston

Post by Jerry Johnston »

Jim,
The same guy who makes the "slick pick" (Fred Kelly) also makes one called the "speed pick" which I prefer. It comes in three flexes. I use the meduim flex for steel and banjo, and the light flex for strumming the flattop. They can be filed or cut down to the length you like.

Good luck

------------------