need emmons help!

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Shawn Sprouse

need emmons help!

Post by Shawn Sprouse »

Anyone have a way to get through to Emmons?I called Emmons today and got another surprise! A recording that said "due to subscribers request, this phone will not accept incoming calls." I had a friend call and he got the same message. After a year and a half of so-called working on my guitar, all I want is honesty, my guitar or my money back! This has been a nightmare! My respect for Emmons is gone and once this is cleared up I will never do business with them again![/b]
Cal Sharp

Post by Cal Sharp »

You might try getting hold of Mike Cass if you haven't already.

C#
Me: Steel Guitar Madness
Latest ebook: Steel Guitar Insanity
Custom Made Covers for Steel Guitars & Amps at Sharp Covers Nashville
David Collins

Post by David Collins »

And awaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy we go!!!!
David Collins
www.chjoyce.com
Cal Sharp

Post by Cal Sharp »

David, you're not that far away. Why don't you drive over there and see what's going on and report back? ;-)
C#
Shawn Sprouse

Post by Shawn Sprouse »

Thanks Cal! I sent Mike a message. Hopefully he can and will help. My next stop is the courthouse! This is uncalled for, to go this long and jerk folks around. How is your amp doing? I may get with you and see who fixed yours. Maybe they can get the bugs out of mine.
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

:!:
Cal Sharp

Post by Cal Sharp »

Shawn, John at Sound Stage in Dickson fixed my amp. It had a bunch of loose solder connections and some other issues. I realize now that its quality had been slowly diminishing for a long time. Sounds good now.
C#
David Collins

Post by David Collins »

Last I heard, the Emmons "Factory" building was for sale, and that Ron Jr. was working from home. I have not confirmed this, but if time allows, I'll ride by and take a look see.

I have been there some years back, but the economy here has been hard hit, like many other places. A lot can change in a couple years.

I'm not trying to start rumors, rather would like to confirm facts if possible. From what I've heard, a 1 1/2 to 2 year wait on a new Emmons is not at all unusual.
David Collins
www.chjoyce.com
Stephen Gambrell

Post by Stephen Gambrell »

Aren't there several Emmons dealers on the Forum?
Mike Cass

Post by Mike Cass »

Shawn,

I sent you a PM. I plan to go to the factory sometime this month to build. If that does indeed go down I'll report back on here.
sincerely,

MC
an Emmons dealer.
Shawn Sprouse

Post by Shawn Sprouse »

Thanks Cal! I will give John a call.

David and Mike, thanks for considering to check up on Emmons.

As I have said before, I have a bill of sale with a promised time of End of August - first of September of last year. If they would have told me back then that there is a 2 year wait, that would have been fine. Instead they chose tojerk me around by telling me it will be another 2 weeks, every time I called to check on it. I have been hearing 2 more weeks since August a year ago. My patience has finally run out. I can handle the truth, but I can't stand being lied to.
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

amen!
Nick Reed

Post by Nick Reed »

Seems like you never heard about these kind of problems back when Jack Strayhorn was running the company.

Henry Matthews

Post by Henry Matthews »

Just me but I think anything over a six week wait for any guitar is rediculous, JMHO. That is if they are still in full swing business. If not then I can understand the wait a little longer, but a year is too much.
Henry Matthews

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

ISTR that the Lashleys have some family medical problems, severe enough that I wouldn't blame them for not building guitars.
But the lack of communication is troubling.
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Henry Matthews wrote:Just me but I think anything over a six week wait for any guitar is rediculous, JMHO. That is if they are still in full swing business. If not then I can understand the wait a little longer, but a year is too much.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Joseph Barcus

Post by Joseph Barcus »

I was going to get a new one some time back from a different builder, not emmons. but when I was told money up front and wait a year I said no way I would do that if they cant keep up with the demand they need to do one of two things, get more help or stop all together
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

Joseph, I think the world would rather have 1 Zum every two weeks than no more at all.
Not saying that you meant Zum (or Franklin, or any other 1 person shops) in particular.
Pretty sure you didn't mean Bruce: he required a smaller deposit, and would often close his waitlist if it exceeded a year.
But many of the 1 person shops have one year waiting lists.
But they'll usually have good communications.
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Cartwright Thompson

Post by Cartwright Thompson »

How many times have we seen stories like this in the past few years? With all the great used Emmons guitars for sale, I can't imagine buying any new guitar, much less an Emmons. It's amazing what those guys get away with and still manage to sell guitars.
David Collins

Post by David Collins »

I did have the opportunity to stop in Burlington today and visit the Emmons factory. I found Ron Jr. there and working on guitars. He welcomed me in and we talked for a half hour or so, while I placed my order for a neck selector switch.

He quickly volunteered the new phone number: 336-437-2785

I saw 2 guitars in various stages of completion, both absolutely beautiful. I have no idea where they are destined to go, didn't ask, didn't think it my business.

We did discuss the difficulty in obtaining materials from suppliers. The economy in NC has been very hard hit, and supply chains are the weakest that I can ever remember them. There seem to be many similarities in the Emmons business and my own contracting business when it comes to dealing with suppliers.

We did not discuss communications issues, and I make no offering there.

I do believe that they have every intent of filling every order, albeit slowly, due mainly to supply issues. Ron did tell me that he is able, at present, to complete about 2 guitars per month, and that he'd really like to improve on that. He indicated that the capacity to build exceeded the supply chain.
David Collins
www.chjoyce.com
Cal Sharp

Post by Cal Sharp »

So we have an eye witness - Emmons is still an entity. Good work, David.
C#
David Collins

Post by David Collins »

:D
David Collins
www.chjoyce.com
Hook Moore

Post by Hook Moore »

Thank you David..
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

The info on the visit is good, but it still does not address the original poster's issue. And, the original posters problems are not the first time this has happened from previous posts on this forum.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
David Collins

Post by David Collins »

With all due respect Jack, I'm not about to stick my nose that deep into some one else's business.
David Collins
www.chjoyce.com