Anyone know about Hofner New President (Jazz Guitar)?

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Jim Cohen

Anyone know about Hofner New President (Jazz Guitar)?

Post by Jim Cohen »

I have a lead on a good deal on an early-90's Hofner New President jazz guitar. Anyone here have any experience with this axe and can comment about it?

Thanks,
Jim

Richard Damron

Post by Richard Damron »

Jimbeaux -

Ain't gonna tell you anything that you already don't know however an unbiased comment or two could help to keep your head on straight.

1st: - it's a gorgeous instrument. And, yes, looks are a valid input on our selection of an instrument.

2nd: - It's a jazz axe. No extraneous foo-foo. Reminiscent of the Johnny Smith models of both Guild and Gibson.

3rd: - Since it's 20 years old, a close examination will reveal any potentially devasting future failures.

4th: - Play it through your favorite amplifier. Play it through HIS favorite amplifier. Got a third?

If it flips your switch - buy it!

As you know, I lost my instruments in our house fire. When I decide to replace my jazz axe, this would be the approximate procedure that I'd take.

Good luck. Enjoy!

Richard
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Thank you, Richard. Unfortunately the axe is located far away from me so I cannot play it before purchasing. I could probably make a deal to return it, at my expense, if I didn't like it, say after a week or two...
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

Yeah, I've played a couple - I assume this is one of the German-made ones with a hand-carved German spruce top?

First - It sounded very good, but I didn't particularly care for the asymmetric profile necks, which were thicker on the bass side than treble. But maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance - I guess some people like them naturally, but I suspect they're an acquired taste.

Second - the ones I saw were, to my tastes, too expensive for a factory-made non-Gibson archtop.

But if I saw a really great deal on one of these, I might just get it and if it didn't suit me, move it on down the line. But to me, a really great deal on something like this is pretty cheap - they're not really known commodities in the used/vintage guitar market and I think it would be hard to get what they're worth. The Jazzica, which is similar, has a used Excellent condition value assessment around $1600-2000, so that's what I mean by 'getting what they're worth'. Couldn't find a listing for the New President. I wouldn't use the new prices stores advertise for these as any type of reference - IMO, they are, shall we say, extremely optimistic advertising these for $4 grand +. You can get a damned nice hand-made archtop for that kind of coin. My opinion.
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

I've seen and played one - but just once and only for a minute or two. My recollection? Meh.

For my money, Eastman's made-in-China guitars are a great bargain for quality, looks and playability. If I was going to buy a new arch top, this would be my choice:

http://www.eastmanguitars.com/pagelli-signature-series/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfN1Sk0GNIE
Steel Guitar Books! Website: www.volkmediabooks.com
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Thanks guys. Andy, in fact I have an Eastman 803CE which I would have to sell if I kept the Hofner. I guess you'd advise me to keep the Eastman and go practice. LOL...
Ulrich Sinn

Post by Ulrich Sinn »

I have an Eastman archtop and I grew to dislike it severely. Everything about it is too thin, too light.

Looks gorgeous though.

The Höfner "Attila Zoller" used to have a very good reputation (I don't know whether they still build that model).
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

Factory made guitars differ widely. You might really dig the Hoffner, who knows?
I sold my Fender sunburst bound '62 Telecaster because I kept repeatedly going to my cheap, $350 Fender Squire Vintage Vibe Tele. I like playing jazz on it more than much more costly axes - it just speaks to me for some weird reason.

But for you, Jim, I recommend playing much more jazz on pedal steel. Heck, everybody and his uncle Charlie plays jazz guitar these days but the folks who can play jazz steel at your level is a very, very small group.
Steel Guitar Books! Website: www.volkmediabooks.com